GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any regrets with DSG?

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
This is my initial impression after the 1st 24 hours:
WRX felt like a rental compare to GTI. I thought the flat 4 would sound like my flat 6 911 with PSE on. But unfortunately, it sounded like crap. The sound being piped in through the speaker on the GTI made me feel like it was my mini f10 M5. The driving dynamics were what I expected, which is good. I see why lot of the 911 guys from rennlist have GTI as their DD.
My initial impression of the DSG is lukewarm. The salesperson mention that it is a PDK. I DON’T think so. Porsche PDK and BMW DCT is light years ahead. Hopefully, my opinion will change with time. The gear changing in auto mode seem very abrupt, almost like it cannot make up its mind. But overall, I am very with my decision to get the GTI with DSG. Being 50+ comfort is more important than driving dynamics. And GTI is VERY comfortable.
The sound isn't from the speakers. It's called a soundaktor and it vibrates the sound I think through the windshield. It is under the hood near the wipers. You just have to remove a few clips to get your hand in there to unplug it. Just search soundaktor mk7 on YouTube and you will find instructions

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
The sound isn't from the speakers. It's called a soundaktor

He didn't say it was being piped in through the speakers, plural. He simply said "the sound being piped in through the speaker", and that's quite correct. The Soundaktor is a cheap speaker vibrating the firewall.

dmcconnell

I just traded my manual 2007 GTI for a 2018 GTI S. I thought I was ready for an automatic, but during the test drive of the DSG, I realized I couldn't get a DSG. I really like the manual tranny. BTW, I'm 70 years young!

tknj99

Ready to race!
I just traded my manual 2007 GTI for a 2018 GTI S. I thought I was ready for an automatic, but during the test drive of the DSG, I realized I couldn't get a DSG. I really like the manual tranny. BTW, I'm 70 years young!

Blasphemy... but in all seriousness, congrats on the upgrade!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
My wife’s philosophy is: If you have to modify, you should get a better car.

This is naive.

Even performance cars are ultimately designed for the "average" consumer. GTIs are one of, if not the absolute best bang for the buck DD "performance" cars. That said, VW Marketing still required that the car average the absolute best gas mileage it possibly could, which meant neutering the powertrain by setting the DSG programming to be overly shifty, as to keep the engine out of boost.

I've owned 2 MK7 GTIs, one manual and one DSG, and I can assure you that, for the ~3 thousand dollars I've put into mods on my DSG GTI (including labor), I've gotten FAR more overall value out of my ownership than if I was to buy a different car that cost 3K more than my GTI did.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I agree with everyone on the “d” shifts way too soon and “s” holds them out too long. I like it in manual mode but find it difficult to get used to. Coming from a manual FR-S. The paddles turning with the wheel gets awkward and I’ve hit the downshift when meaning to go up for some reason. It’s just so different for me. Outside of that it is a fun car to drive. The 40,000 service is a bummer but so is driving a stick in rush hour around seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manual mode still leaves much to be desired

codespyder

Ready to race!
If I were to get another GTI for, say, weekend drives, I would get a manual just to mix things up a bit... but I would want a DSG in my daily driver.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
My only ragret is having to read threads like these :D:D:D, even though its fun!

Stevo_CT

Ready to race!
This is naive.

Even performance cars are ultimately designed for the "average" consumer. GTIs are one of, if not the absolute best bang for the buck DD "performance" cars. That said, VW Marketing still required that the car average the absolute best gas mileage it possibly could, which meant neutering the powertrain by setting the DSG programming to be overly shifty, as to keep the engine out of boost.

I've owned 2 MK7 GTIs, one manual and one DSG, and I can assure you that, for the ~3 thousand dollars I've put into mods on my DSG GTI (including labor), I've gotten FAR more overall value out of my ownership than if I was to buy a different car that cost 3K more than my GTI did.

It's not naive at all, it's a sensible philosophy.
Some people want to keep warranties intact, do not want to mess around with mods, and want to protect resale value by keeping a car standard.

I understand your reasoning, and agree for the most part, but feel it's a little unfair labelling someone naive based on safe and sound reasoning.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
If I were to get another GTI for, say, weekend drives, I would get a manual just to mix things up a bit... but I would want a DSG in my daily driver.

This. Main reason I went with the DSG. I would love to get some more time with a manual car and have one to play around with and have some fun, but I already hate the mornings enough as it is without having to worry about shifting on my 45 minute commute. Once my Camry expires, maybe I'll replace it with a manual for the beater