GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #11816
NBMK7GTI

Drives: 2015 VW Gti S
How exactly do I run a log? The directions on the first page aren't lining up with the newest version of the software. I can't find controller diagnostics anymore.
NBMK7GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:27 AM   #11817
AZ GTI

Drives: 9th VW: 16 GTI SE
Elevation is 2389 I have access to ACN91. E85 is around here but I really donít want to have to rely on always finding e85 if I travel.

The road was decently smooth and that was something I thought of with ghost knock.

89 and 91 timing was similar boost was identical. Even though the slider for boost was way different.
16 GTI SE-Worked IS38 Turbo by G Pop, Eurodyne ECU/TCU tune, IE Intercooler, Forge Intake, MAP catted/resonated DP, CTS inlet, ECS turbo muffler delete, RS7 Plugs, 034 Mounts, ED springs, Eibach RSB, Superpro Rear Links, 235/40 PSS
AZ GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:55 AM   #11818
Reggie Enchilada

Drives: MK7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ GTI View Post
Elevation is 2389 I have access to ACN91. E85 is around here but I really don’t want to have to rely on always finding e85 if I travel.

The road was decently smooth and that was something I thought of with ghost knock.

89 and 91 timing was similar boost was identical. Even though the slider for boost was way different.
Ok, that's good info. ACN91 is shitty fuel from what I understand. An ethanol splash-blend would help out quite a lot, and allow you to run a higher octane map and more boost. If you're travelling and only have access to 91 or 93, you can easily adjust for that. Keep the power-tap in the glovebox and a laptop or tablet with charger in your bag or somewhere in the car.

It doesn't matter that the boost value was set higher on the 89 log. The ECU is only going to make enough boost to reach a given torque target. The torque target is going to be different on a low octane map versus a high octane map. I'd consider 91 to be a low octane map, when we have 97 as a high octane map. Especially considering the lower quality fuel being used.

It doesn't matter that you are setting the max boost as 27, because it only needs 23.5 to meet the criteria. The boost setting is defined as the maximum allowed, not as a target to reach.

The last log you posted only has a couple of small timing corrections, but nothing out of the ordinary. It looks very clean.

Set the octane setting to 91 and take a log in similar weather and in the same place if possible. Or if you have one, post it up.
2016 GTI 6MT: ED Maestro Stg2 base, E30, Brisk ER12S plugs, Bull-X catless DP, Forge CF intake, CTS TIP, Uni IC, CTS charge pipes, Boomba BOV, ECS boost tap, Revo drivetrain mounts, Stg3 BFI clutch, ECS bleeder block, ECS SS clutch line, Boomba shift knob, APR short shift levers, ECS brass shifter cable end link bushings, ECS aluminum shifter cable bracket bushings, O34 spherical end-links, ST RSB, ECS skid plate, deAuto 6000k HID low beams, Nokya 3000k halogen high beams
Reggie Enchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:49 AM   #11819
AZ GTI

That’s great info, thanks. I asked a master tech friend who is mod friendly and he says VW didn’t design our cars for ethanol use. I’ll have this car for awhile so I really don’t want to go through fuel components anytime soon. I know a lot of people have used it for years but I’m torn. Here’s one I took previous at 27/91.

I’ve been told Maestro can clean a lot of this up. I made a lot of power on other cars with our gas so I have to say it’s possible to make plenty on 91

https://datazap.me/u/phsycomatt89/is...ta=1&zoom=0-53
16 GTI SE-Worked IS38 Turbo by G Pop, Eurodyne ECU/TCU tune, IE Intercooler, Forge Intake, MAP catted/resonated DP, CTS inlet, ECS turbo muffler delete, RS7 Plugs, 034 Mounts, ED springs, Eibach RSB, Superpro Rear Links, 235/40 PSS

Last edited by AZ GTI; 01-22-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 AM   #11820
railroader

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn DP,Water/meth,turbo inlet pipe
Quote:
Thatís great info, thanks. I asked a master tech friend who is mod friendly and he says VW didnít design our cars for ethanol use. Iíll have this car for awhile so I really donít want to go through fuel components anytime soon. I know a lot of people have used it for years but Iím torn. Hereís one I took previous at 27/91.

Go water/meth it helps a lot with heat and shit gas. I have the same garbage gas as you in Yuma arizona

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
IS38, Ceramic Coated and DEI wrapped APR DP catless, turbo inlet pipe, PTP IS38 turbo blanket, Coolingmist water/meth, I.E. Intercooler,DKM Twin DIsk clutch, I.E full closed CAI, cts silicone intake hose, spulen short shift f/b s/s, 034 solid bushing set, Spulen charge pipe
railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #11821
AZ GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
Go water/meth it helps a lot with heat and shit gas. I have the same garbage gas as you in Yuma arizona

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah Iíve looked into that and had it on other cars. It works wonders. But I really donít want to be tuned for it and risk a system failure and cause engine damage.

Also it seems our meth entry point doesnít actually net much octane boost since itís almost all evaporated before it gets to the engine. But IAT control for real.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #11822
Reggie Enchilada

Drives: MK7 GTI
Quote:
Thatís great info, thanks. I asked a master tech friend who is mod friendly and he says VW didnít design our cars for ethanol use. Iíll have this car for awhile so I really donít want to go through fuel components anytime soon. I know a lot of people have used it for years but Iím torn. Hereís one I took previous at 27/91.

Iíve been told Maestro can clean a lot of this up. I made a lot of power on other cars with our gas so I have to say itís possible to make plenty on 91

That log looks clean also. It looks like you let off the gas and got back on it. I noticed the boost curve fell and the accel. pedal pos. decreased. Try the base Maestro file set at 91/24 and go from there. If you don't like it or encounter issues, you can always flash back to the file you're currently using
2016 GTI 6MT: ED Maestro Stg2 base, E30, Brisk ER12S plugs, Bull-X catless DP, Forge CF intake, CTS TIP, Uni IC, CTS charge pipes, Boomba BOV, ECS boost tap, Revo drivetrain mounts, Stg3 BFI clutch, ECS bleeder block, ECS SS clutch line, Boomba shift knob, APR short shift levers, ECS brass shifter cable end link bushings, ECS aluminum shifter cable bracket bushings, O34 spherical end-links, ST RSB, ECS skid plate, deAuto 6000k HID low beams, Nokya 3000k halogen high beams
Reggie Enchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #11823
AZ GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Enchilada View Post
That log looks clean also. It looks like you let off the gas and got back on it. I noticed the boost curve fell and the accel. pedal pos. decreased. Try the base Maestro file set at 91/24 and go from there. If you don't like it or encounter issues, you can always flash back to the file you're currently using
You are right, the turbo made that fun surge noise when losing it up lower rpm.

You think the base file is better than adjustable untouched like you said?

These pulls were both like 55-60F ambient. The others at about 78F had -4.5 on 6.5 degrees of timing which was concerning.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #11824
Worldpacgti

Drives: Mk7 gti
Base file is more aggressive for sure.....i have logged both.....torque higher on maestro base file...car feels more violent...
Eurodyne IS38 Moosetuned, 3" catless DP, Unitronic intercooler, Autotech intake, CTS turbo inlet pipe, CTS turbo outlet pipe, CTS TMD, CTS dogbone insert, H&R sport springs, Eurodyne TCU tune, CTS Turbo BOV, CTS throttle pipe, ECS turbo blanket, CTS engine and Transmission mounts
Worldpacgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #11825
AZ GTI

sweet, I will try that out. I donít want to set records I just want to optimize with 91.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #11826
demi9od

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldpacgti View Post
Base file is more aggressive for sure.....i have logged both.....torque higher on maestro base file...car feels more violent...
So if I change from Stg 2 adjustable to Stg 2 base Maestro, can I adjust octane/PSI just like the adjustable file before I get a custom Maestro? Been waiting on my IC install to get the Maestro custom tune.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #11827
rafycotto

Drives: Golf .:R MK7
Quote:
Originally Posted by demi9od View Post
So if I change from Stg 2 adjustable to Stg 2 base Maestro, can I adjust octane/PSI just like the adjustable file before I get a custom Maestro? Been waiting on my IC install to get the Maestro custom tune.
Yes, you can. no even has to pay for maestro credits for use base file.
/ 2015 Golf .:R / ED Maestro Base / ED DSG TCU Tune / K&N Drop Filter / CTS Inlet Pipe / Snow Performance W/M 210 Kit / Spulen Throttle Pipe / USP DP Catless / 034 DogBone Insert / H&R Spring / 19' Centara Vanti HP /
rafycotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #11828
AZ GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafycotto View Post
Yes, you can. no even has to pay for maestro credits for use base file.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but we need to at 3 credits to even load the base file right?

Last edited by AZ GTI; 01-22-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:22 PM   #11829
Worldpacgti

Drives: Mk7 gti
No base file is free.
Eurodyne IS38 Moosetuned, 3" catless DP, Unitronic intercooler, Autotech intake, CTS turbo inlet pipe, CTS turbo outlet pipe, CTS TMD, CTS dogbone insert, H&R sport springs, Eurodyne TCU tune, CTS Turbo BOV, CTS throttle pipe, ECS turbo blanket, CTS engine and Transmission mounts
Worldpacgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #11830
BrianThatCoolGuy

Drives: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Correct me if Iím wrong, but we need to at 3 credits to even load the base file right?
No, it's available to anyone.
BrianThatCoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:25 PM   #11831
BrianThatCoolGuy

Drives: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
So apparently there's a new Stage 1 DSG file that came out recently and I wasn't aware of it. Any pros/cons or is it basically the same thing, but no stg2 available?
BrianThatCoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:26 PM   #11832
AZ GTI

SoB I have been wasting a lot of time and fuel on the adjustable map

Getting this file is under Maestro I assume? Itís not with the other stage 1,2 etc files.