GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock 2016 GTI : Clutch Failure

tknj99

Ready to race!
Alright so here are my options after a ton of calling and haggling today....

3.) Trade it in if I can my loan value ($16,900) paid off. Then a low mileage 2016 GTI with DSG. My car payment should be the same if I stick to under $20k. Even if the trade in offer is a bit short of my loan maybe offer the difference to pay on used GTI with DSG if the difference is less than $2k.

I think I'm actually going to fish around and try for option 3 and see what dealership have on the market used for 2016+ GTI DSG. If I can find one under $20k with no accidents and get at or close to loan value trade in, then I'll likely do that.

If not, then I'll likely do the option 2 with the VW/Audi performance place for around $1,800. In the mean time I'm going to baby it drive it easy till I figure out which option over the next week.

Option 3 should never be a consideration for anyone with a manual transmission.. thats like saying that your brakes wore out so its time to trade the car in, cmon! And DSG carries its own costs, not to mention, real cost troubles should it fail outside of warranty (even though no one considers this to ever happen lol)
Just get an upgraded clutch like the TTRS clutch for around $500 or so online and then find a shop that will do the install for similar cost. I called one of the suggested shops near me and was quoted $550 for labor and then another total $145 to do an upgraded rear main seal.. so all together around $1300 which is easily what was saved by choosing manual over the DSG during initial purchase.

ODD

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't forget to add in the tax of purchasing another car. Here in AZ, unless purchased from a private seller, the tax on a $20,000 purchase is more than the cost of the clutch replacement.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Get it fixed, no sense in trading the car just because of the clutch. Your payments may stay the same, but you will extend your loan and the hit you will take in value is far more than the clutch will cost.

Wtf....sounds like a lazy service department. What else would cause a bad flywheel?? If they weren't dbags, they could say you complained about the clutch shuddering and not being smooth or some BS that could be explained by a bad flywheel and at least TRY to get it covered by VW. It's not out of their pocket, just takes a little effort on their part to please the customer.

In any case, I think the new clutch depends on your goals. If you plan to never tune, I'd probably just go with the RSR clutch. If stage 2 or above, probably DKM.

My thoughts exactly. The service guys seemed like they weren't even going to try to submit it to VW for me if they saw any wear on the clutch at all. Which made no sense. However the manager I Spoke with agreed he'd do everything to try to get it covered and submit to VW whatever they find. But said he's only seen them cover clutch stuff from like under 10k miles. So about a 98% chance of them saying no.

Once he said that I ruled out option 1 of dealership. So that only leaves option 2 for performance shop to do a South bend daily kit install for $1,850 + tax (includes parts), or option 3 for trade in.

good luck getting a semi-even trade from MT to DSG for anywhere near 2k difference.

Yeah, I don't expect it to be even. But money is tight right now. This $1,850+ repair for a south bend daily clutch kit install came at the worst time. Girlfriend got laid off months ago and I been paying all bills and her new job doesn't start to January, and I just had to pay for a new water heater in my house, and a new roof in my house. Both with in the past year. So this is hitting a terrible time for me. If only this clutch could have hung in there at least another year.

So instead of dropping it on credit card, then it's best to just trade and refinance a new auto loan. Even if my loan is $2-3k is higher than car value then that's still about the same or even less than the amount under buying a new car off the lot.

A car loan will be a lot lower interest rate than a credit card, and plus I'll probably get to skip 1 or 2 months car payment since it will be ending and a new one starting. Any financial delay right now helps. Plus as much as I love driving a manual, I am kind of getting tired of rowing those gears in 45 minutes of traffic to work 4-5 days a week.

Dude....you're gonna take a bath trading it in. Plus you still owe $16K. Just upgrade the clutch and enjoy it worry free as it will most likely outlast the car.

It's literally one of the few weakpoints on this platform along with the turbos. Unless you're sick of driving manual, it makes zero sense to trade it in over an upgraded clutch.

Still, I would seriously consider checking out other VW service departments in your area and seeing if any manager can help you out.

Check out my 2 quotes above in this post for my reasoning. Thanks for the input. I wish the performance clutch install was more of an option for me.

Android, what part of MD are you in?

Reisterstown

I'm in MD also, so just curious who are the two dealers you've talked to?

Mile One Heritage VW in Owings Mills and Antwerpen VW in Glen Burnie. Antwerpen was the cheaper by over $1,000 for OEM parts and labor for both clutch and flywheel wheel. (If flywheel is needed)

I talked to someone else who told me apparently mile one has a reputation for charging crazy amounts for repairs. Even more so than most dealerships.

Just for reference since we're talking prices, the local vw /euro specialty shop quoted me $850 labor for new clutch and rms install. That's right on the line of worth it vs doing it myself.

Yep, I got quoted $650 by the local VW/Audi performance shop here. Good deal. But with entire kit being $1,200+ on top that, $1,850+ it's still too pricey for me right now.

Wow.. that's ridiculous.. I got a Sach 4 puck clutch, VW TOB and Sachs DMF for about 1200.00.. and 500 for labor from a reputable indy shop. Go to FCP euro and order your parts. and get the RMS replaced while your at it. Forget that Stealership...

Haha! Stealership! I'm remembering that one. But yeah I've written them off as an option completely.

Option 3 should never be a consideration for anyone with a manual transmission.. thats like saying that your brakes wore out so its time to trade the car in, cmon! And DSG carries its own costs, not to mention, real cost troubles should it fail outside of warranty (even though no one considers this to ever happen lol)

I never would have dreamed this clutch would have gone out nearly this early on a STOCK car. Certainly not before 75k miles even with all the torque. I mean my RSX Type-S clutch lasted for 135k+ miles. I bought brand new expecting to be good for 50-60k miles besides oil changes and tire rotation and wipers and filters. Then do tires and brakes and maybe carbon cleaning.

Although I see your points. But read my other stuff above and you will see my various reasons while I am thinking of a trade. Either a 2016-17 DSG GTI or even a 2016 Audi A3 2.0T DSG. I'm actually seeing more A3's on the used car lots than GTI's. But who knows, maybe something else too.

Don't forget to add in the tax of purchasing another car. Here in AZ, unless purchased from a private seller, the tax on a $20,000 purchase is more than the cost of the clutch replacement.

Yeah I know, check out what I wrote in this post above for my different reasons for trading being the best option for me right now.

Get it fixed, no sense in trading the car just because of the clutch. Your payments may stay the same, but you will extend your loan and the hit you will take in value is far more than the clutch will cost.

Wish I could do that, but it's not really financially feasible for me right now. Auto loan interest is way less than interest on a credit card. See what I mentioned above for my different reasons why trading is probably the best option for my situation right now.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Why not TTRS installed by an indy which sounds like $1000 all in from what other people are saying. Then take the clutch to the dealership after and push to get compensated under warranty. Worst case you are out a grand. Best case they cover it and you are square.
Unless I missed something here. My brother years ago had an issue with his MK5 and he was up for a new engine just outside of warranty. He went to an Indy but also got VW involved and they covered some of the cost.
Either way, crap situation to be in and I hope it works out for you in the end.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Agreed with others that option 3 is the most costly but also most risky. If you are searching for used, who’s to say the previous owner just cleaned it up well and has a good story but beat the piss out of it, leading to further trouble. They’re selling for some reason, right? It happens. At least you know what you have now.

As for interest rates, you are comparing apples to oranges based on loan amount.

Have not heard a bad thing about the RSR clutch so that would be my vote.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
You can likely dodge the interest on one large purchase on a credit card if you're willing to open a new one.

Many cards offer 0% intro rates, might be worth looking into at least.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
You can likely dodge the interest on one large purchase on a credit card if you're willing to open a new one.

Can also possibly get a ton of bonus points depending on which card. I know one of the Chase travel cards give you at least 50k points (equivalent to 750$ I think?) which you can use for airfare/rental/hotel etc, if you spend 4k in the first 3 months. :)

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
My thoughts exactly. The service guys seemed like they weren't even going to try to submit it to VW for me if they saw any wear on the clutch at all. Which made no sense. However the manager I Spoke with agreed he'd do everything to try to get it covered and submit to VW whatever they find. But said he's only seen them cover clutch stuff from like under 10k miles. So about a 98% chance of them saying no.

Once he said that I ruled out option 1 of dealership. So that only leaves option 2 for performance shop to do a South bend daily kit install for $1,850 + tax (includes parts), or option 3 for trade in.

Yeah, I don't expect it to be even. But money is tight right now. This $1,850+ repair for a south bend daily clutch kit install came at the worst time. Girlfriend got laid off months ago and I been paying all bills and her new job doesn't start to January, and I just had to pay for a new water heater in my house, and a new roof in my house. Both with in the past year. So this is hitting a terrible time for me. If only this clutch could have hung in there at least another year.

So instead of dropping it on credit card, then it's best to just trade and refinance a new auto loan. Even if my loan is $2-3k is higher than car value then that's still about the same or even less than the amount under buying a new car off the lot.

A car loan will be a lot lower interest rate than a credit card, and plus I'll probably get to skip 1 or 2 months car payment since it will be ending and a new one starting. Any financial delay right now helps. Plus as much as I love driving a manual, I am kind of getting tired of rowing those gears in 45 minutes of traffic to work 4-5 days a week.

Check out my 2 quotes above in this post for my reasoning. Thanks for the input. I wish the performance clutch install was more of an option for me.

Reisterstown

Mile One Heritage VW in Owings Mills and Antwerpen VW in Glen Burnie. Antwerpen was the cheaper by over $1,000 for OEM parts and labor for both clutch and flywheel wheel. (If flywheel is needed)

I talked to someone else who told me apparently mile one has a reputation for charging crazy amounts for repairs. Even more so than most dealerships.

Yep, I got quoted $650 by the local VW/Audi performance shop here. Good deal. But with entire kit being $1,200+ on top that, $1,850+ it's still too pricey for me right now.

Haha! Stealership! I'm remembering that one. But yeah I've written them off as an option completely.

I never would have dreamed this clutch would have gone out nearly this early on a STOCK car. Certainly not before 75k miles even with all the torque. I mean my RSX Type-S clutch lasted for 135k+ miles. I bought brand new expecting to be good for 50-60k miles besides oil changes and tire rotation and wipers and filters. Then do tires and brakes and maybe carbon cleaning.

Although I see your points. But read my other stuff above and you will see my various reasons while I am thinking of a trade. Either a 2016-17 DSG GTI or even a 2016 Audi A3 2.0T DSG. I'm actually seeing more A3's on the used car lots than GTI's. But who knows, maybe something else too.

Yeah I know, check out what I wrote in this post above for my different reasons for trading being the best option for me right now.

Wish I could do that, but it's not really financially feasible for me right now. Auto loan interest is way less than interest on a credit card. See what I mentioned above for my different reasons why trading is probably the best option for my situation right now.

In this situation, your car is still driveable, just milk it until you can't and make the financial decision then. You can survive months on a slipping clutch.

However, at the end of the day, it is your choice and your money, I am just giving you alternatives. You can purchase a FCP Euro kit plus a new FW ($350) and be under 1k for parts. This clutch will hold good amount of power and far better than stock.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/au...RMB8asQ4Ks0XL756sabJpJddRuAuVg_RoCeLsQAvD_BwE

Additionally, since they list part numbers, you can save some money and buy the TB from Rockauto, the Luk TOB for the MK6 fits the Mk7 and is 30 bucks on Rockauto. I've been using one for 24k miles and I know several other members have as well.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

this is how i make literally all big purchases. i am a king of the 0% interest offers lol. got my AS3+ a little over a month ago using an eBay promo for 0% interest for 24 months on orders over $600. and the company was doing a $70 prepaid card with purchase promo. so it was a good deal. ~$32/mo for 2 years to get really good tires is p nice, imo.

also when I needed a new DSG this summer I put the labor on my VW Service Card which is 0% interest for 1 year on dealership purchases over $500

greens

Ready to race!
https://youtu.be/lHLhXhiwzgo

For all the future possible diyers, here's one of the best guides I've seen so far on how to get the transmission off. This guy gets it done in no time flat. I think his other vids have been posted around here before.

I've been studying up for whenever my time comes. I'm still on the fence about doing it myself, only because my body is kind of not fond of this much contortion. It's right on the line of worth it for the savings.

Thank you for posting this link! Planning to install a Wavetrac in the spring. This will help immensely.

Alright guys, so I traded in. Got them to offer with in $1,800 of my loan. Which was less than what it would have cost (counting tax) to get clutch and flywheel replaced with a south bend kit at my performance shop for $1875+ tax.

So instead of putting the the $1875 + tax on my credit card with 14.99% I put it on a auto loan for 4.99%

Plus I also gained....

1.) 1 year newer. Mine was a 2016, this is a 2017
2.) 14,000 less miles than mine
3.) Gained the more expensive DSG (+$1,100 msrp)
4.) Gained a sport trim package. So I also gained the Xeon headlights, the bigger breaks, the 10hp+ more, the limited slip differential, and push start button. (+$3,500 msrp)

Plus my monthly payment only increased $23 a month. Where as my minimum card payment would have been $40+ a month if I put the repair on my credit card, and would have paid more in interest long run.

So I think I made out really well. I got a pretty good deal on the GTI Sport too, my new loan balance is still with in the "excellent" condition value for KBB private party. I plan to keep it until I can hopefully afford a 2 or 3 year old Audi S5 in 4-5 years. In the meantime I am happy!

Also even though it's not certified the previous owner changed the oil every 5 years and his wife drove it. So it's very well taken care of!

Last edited:

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Thank you for posting this link! Planning to install a Wavetrac in the spring. This will help immensely.

Iirc the reason he did the tranny vid was to get to the lsd for that same reason you need. He said he was going to shoot a vid of that part also? I think? I havnt looked for it.

grahamb1

Alright guys, so I traded in. Got them to offer with in $1,800 of my loan. Which was less than what it would have cost (counting tax) to get clutch and flywheel replaced with a south bend kit at my performance shop for $1875+ tax.

Congrats on the trade-up to the '17...I'm in Reisterstown too. If you ever think about swapping out the OEM Nogaro wheels, let me know, I'd probably be interested in buying them.