GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

swaybar

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm thinking of getting a swaybar, any good brand recommendation? Does it have to be rear and front?

Yoliber

Ready to race!
Rear sway bars reduce understeer and body roll.

Should give a more neutral handling characteristic. I believe the GTI clubsport S uses stock springs and shocks but thicker rear sway bar. I also believe they upgraded the bushings all around.

Edit:
I put a RSB on my forester and it helped with high speed stability (80mph). When I go camping/hiking, it also helped make the car not ride like a boat in the canyons. I don't think I noticed a difference in NVH

Last edited:

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I'm thinking of getting a swaybar, any good brand recommendation? Does it have to be rear and front?

You have a Sport so technically you already have an "upgraded" rsb. But I can't say anything because I too have a Sport and installed a 034 rsb. New they're not the cheapest, but I bought mine second hand for a good price. Honestly I can't comment on any difference vs the OE PP rear bar, since I installed it pretty soon after purchasing the car. :rolleyes:

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have added sway bars to many different cars over the years. The biggest improvements have been on mt JSW and my Alltrack. I used an 034 on Alltrack with their links.....very high quality parts, easy enough install. Definitely makes your tires work harder.......if you have marginal tires it will amplify their weaknesses!

benpaul

Passed Driver's Ed
I will be getting a RSB on mine because the recent lowering has really highlighted the understeer and body roll.

RSB or shocks first?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I have the H&R 24mm RSB and that combined with the "increased traction" setting for the VAQ diff is absolutely perfect IMO. I dare say I feel minimal to no understeer when throwing the car even in the tightest of corners.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
You have a Sport so technically you already have an "upgraded" rsb. But I can't say anything because I too have a Sport and installed a 034 rsb. New they're not the cheapest, but I bought mine second hand for a good price. Honestly I can't comment on any difference vs the OE PP rear bar, since I installed it pretty soon after purchasing the car. :rolleyes:

Ive heard only the DCC got the thicker RSB, that and earlier models of the mk7

Yoliber

Ready to race!
The "Sport" is just PP and LP. And PP does NOT comes with a thicker rear sway. And im 82% positive that the DCC models do NOT get a thicker RSB too.

If they did have thicker RSB then non PP/DCC models would want to buy them

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The "Sport" is just PP and LP. And PP does NOT comes with a thicker rear sway. And im 82% positive that the DCC models do NOT get a thicker RSB too.

Honestly, there's conflicting info out there about the OEM RSBs...

See post 24: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...-Bar-Specs&p=87623029&viewfull=1#post87623029

This thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23563

This FS thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30583

If you're just going off of the specs sheet on VW's website, don't treat that as definitive. 2017 GTI SEs were supposed to all have LP by default, but that was proven wrong by one of our own forum members.

Yoliber said:
If they did have thicker RSB then non PP/DCC models would want to buy them
If there are differences in stiffness in non-PP, PP, and DCC GTIs, the differences might be slight enough to justify aftermarket.