GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Liqui Moly which one?

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
If you want the lowest ash/SAPS look into the 504.00/507.00 spec oils - LiquiMoly has a couple available. These are the newest oil specs and cover all VW group engines (except R5 & V10 PD TDI) and also allow oil change intervals of up to 2 years/18K miles so also very good stuff. Oils that are compatible with DPF (diesel particulate filter) will have the lowest ash/SAPS levels as that's a key aspect of the spec itself.

FWIW, here's a link to an article comparing the various current VW specs:
https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/vw_motor_oil_specifications_explained.php

I have the same thoughts about trying to minimize carbon build-up on the valves, and I suspect that the difference would be quite small...

But it helps me rationalize my 10K oil changes so I can sleep at night! :rolleyes:
Drain, Fill, Drive, Sleep, Repeat....

Those are 5w-30 oils. I'll consider it as it is approved. https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...2017-Technical-Service-Bulletin-1.22.2018.pdf

I won't be getting 0w though.
Yeah, switching to low SAPS oil might not make much difference. Maybe spare use 500 miles? ha-ha.

EDIT: I'm going to do 5k OCI as well.
Recent research has shifted my attention and concerns towards our GDI engine being vulnerable to Carbon Build Up on the Valves.
It doesn't seem we can do much about it.

Liqui-Moly LHT 5W-40 has SAPS rating @ 1.2% and NOACK rating @ 9.6%. Based on my research, a good oil for GDI engines would have <0.7% SAPS / <9% NOACK ratings. The SAPS on LM is a bit high.

I got back a reply via e-mail from Liqui-Moly. They recommend Fuel Injection Cleaners every 1,200 miles, Engine oil flush every 20,000 miles, and throttle valve cleaner every year. They also suggested I stick with LHT 5W-40.

So, I'll stick with the same oil and do the following. I'll add Fuel Injection Cleaners every other oil change. I'll do a engine oil flush and throttle valve cleaner while doing my full service @40,000 miles. I'm considering doing the Italian tune up every now and then on 91+ Octane as it supposedly helps.

I'll probably consider walnut blasting the valves @ 80,000 miles. Other than that... best option would be to trade it in for a Ford Mustang GT... as it is set up with port and direct injection.

Last edited: