GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing the cabin air filter

Conroy706

This is probably a simple question but I just want to make sure I have all the info before attempting this.

I just recently bought a 2015 gti st just over 90,000km. I've tried to find some info on whether or not the previous owner did the 90k service but it does not seem like they did. Most of the stuff on the list in the manual I believe was covered when doing the safety before I bought the car, and i was told by a VW dealer that it would still need an oil change and cabin filter change.

I'll get a garage to do the oil change but after looking at some videos on YouTube about the cabin filter change it looks ridiculously easy so I'd rather try to save some money on that.

My question is, I saw one video where the filter was taken out of the glove box area and another where it is taken out of a space under the hood, about where the glove box would be. Is this the same filter and there are 2 ways to get at it? Or is it 2 filters?

Also, one of the videos mentioned an activated charcoal filter. Is this just a type of filter that you can put in this spot or another filter entirely?