GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTI Cold Air Intake

GTI_Novice

Hey all,

First time posting here and could use some advice from you all. I’m thinking of putting a cold air intake on my 2017 GTI 2.0. Do you think this could cause any prolonged damage without other mods under normal driving conditions? Thanks very much!

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Welcome to the forums! I haven’t heard of an intake causing any damage. However, the stock intake works great and going aftermarket is not going to give you much performance per $. I’d recommend saving the money and putting it towards a different upgrade depending on your goals.

See this thread #4
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
No it will not cause damage, but it will also be relatively useless on a stock car. Same with a drop in...does nothing.

If you want noise you need an open system, which will likely cost you power.

If you want power you want a closed system, which doesn't do much for noise.

Either way, a downpipe or intercooler are much more important hardware upgrades on these cars, and a tune makes a world of difference.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Remove snowguard, replace with high flow drop in, and open up duct in front of air box and you’re good to go.

Butt dyno says it worked and I’ve had 4 other intakes haha there are plenty of diy’s referencing what I stated above.

Hockey

Ready to race!
I've had my open Injen intake on for about 3-4 months now. I still love it and it sounds great. I just make sure to check on it every once and awhile and clean the filter often as it's more exposed being an open system.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Filter on a stick is the loudest, if that's what you're going for. But sucking up engine bay heat is the tradeoff. You'd lose power in stop and go traffic. Iffy if you'd gain any power at speed. Not worth it for those of us looking to make the most power per dollar spent.

Turbo muffler delete is negligible. And no power gains from it. If you spend the money and are expecting it, you tell yourself it sounds better, maybe you'll sell yourself on it. I haven't seen a before and after videos of the same car, on the same day, filmed the same way, that made any sound difference I could perceive.

I went with the autotech intake when it was on sale around Christmas a couple years ago. All it is is a slightly bigger hard pipe from the airbox to the turbo inlet and a slightly revised (smoother internally) top half of the box, with a drop in AFE filter. Had it not been like $100, at the time, I would have just done the drop in and called it a day.

I prefer more power to more noise nowadays. But I drove an externally gated t3 turbo with an HKS SSQV on my mk1 focus when I was a "kid". I loved all the noises back then, but learned that less attention gained is worth more to me nowadays. I don't need every civic si with a fartpipe and stickers all over the fenders revving his engine at me and calling attention. If I want to run, i'll rev at a coyote or vette (or Bentley Bentayga, lol).

Last edited:

People909

Ready to race!
Filter on a stick is the loudest, if that's what you're going for. But sucking up engine bay heat is the tradeoff. You'd lose power in stop and go traffic. Iffy if you'd gain any power at speed. Not worth it for those of us looking to make the most power per dollar spent.

Turbo muffler delete is negligible. And no power gains from it. If you spend the money and are expecting it, you tell yourself it sounds better, maybe you'll sell yourself on it. I haven't seen a before and after videos of the same car, on the same day, filmed the same way, that made any sound difference I could perceive.

I went with the autotech intake when it was on sale around Christmas a couple years ago. All it is is a slightly bigger hard pipe from the airbox to the turbo inlet and a slightly revised (smoother internally) top half of the box, with a drop in AFE filter. Had it not been like $100, at the time, I would have just done the drop in and called it a day.

I prefer more power to more noise nowadays. But I drove an externally gated t3 turbo with an HKS SSQV on my mk1 focus when I was a "kid". I loved all the noises back then, but learned that less attention gained is worth more to me nowadays. I don't need every civic si with a fartpipe and stickers all over the fenders revving his engine at me and calling attention. If I want to run, i'll rev at a coyote or vette (or Bentley Bentayga, lol).
Yeah think I'm just going to get a k&n drop in, doubt it will make any noise, but I want to keep it closed. My previous car was a SI

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
If you haven't gotten it out of your system, a lot of folks are happy with the injen short ram. About as snorty and whistle-y as you can get. You'll hear everything the DV and compressor wheel are doing.

If you have, the plastic snow guard removal and a decent drop in filter will keep the turbo fed with sufficient air to make in excess of 400hp, unrestricted.

People909

Ready to race!
If you haven't gotten it out of your system, a lot of folks are happy with the injen short ram. About as snorty and whistle-y as you can get. You'll hear everything the DV and compressor wheel are doing.

If you have, the plastic snow guard removal and a decent drop in filter will keep the turbo fed with sufficient air to make in excess of 400hp, unrestricted.
Today I removed the snow guard, and the blocked vents on drivers side. O'Reilly has k&n drop in for around $50 I'll probably get