GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI OEM Intake Modification

Hockey

Ready to race!
I'm thinking about doing this to get more fresh air to my injen open intake. Thoughts?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking about doing this to get more fresh air to my injen open intake. Thoughts?

why not just remove that siphon piece? :confused:

carfreak1955

Injen evo 3000 @so hi for $276.99

I looked at all the things this thread was talking about & liked the design & inexpensive evo 3000, it does everything you'd want & cheaply. the open designs were not for me & you never see that stock. the stock box is a compromise, so I hope someone likes this also?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I looked at all the things this thread was talking about & liked the design & inexpensive evo 3000, it does everything you'd want & cheaply. the open designs were not for me & you never see that stock. the stock box is a compromise, so I hope someone likes this also?
Got a review? Logs? Dyno....I am really hoping you like it.

And thanks for the heads up. I have never seen this intake. Tics all the boxes with stock-ish look. Really not into the carbon thing (well I am, but not over other mods + a flash tune and turbo upgrade).

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DK11706

I did some IAT measurements before and after opening up the inlet. Outside temp were about the same when I tested and with the mod IAT were 8-10 degrees Celsius lower.

Stock IAT about 20 degrees C above ambient temp. With mod only 10-12 degrees C above, so it seems to be working pretty well.

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Something worth noting is that VW opened up the lower portion of the upper grill on the 7.5 model...not sure about fitment since the new bumper and all.

Maybe someone with a 7.5 can look to see if the grill portion nearest the air box is now open?

Anyone that works at VW able to get a part number?

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just do the GTE front duct retrofit....all info in my how too guides..

Basically block rear left & open up front right...& my grill is same as "R" (mine is chrome, R is satin)& it allows more air into both sides as its a slated grill which has the last slat about 1ich below the bonnet edge...so the air get in there...yours has the grill upto the bonnet edge..so it has to have cutouts to get the air from the honeycomb section into the air box section...

jackalope

Ready to race!
What I thought was weird is that the duct has LESS restriction on the engine side, so it's probably drawing most of its flow from the engine bay except maybe at high speed when there's a bit of a "ram air" effect.

It could be that it's designed with limited outside air so it functions as a mix between a warm and cold air intake. Warm air would help a cold engine heat up faster and stay warm, especially in the winter when outside air is extremely cold. In much of the world we may not need this but VW sells the same car in the Arctic Circle

SVO

Just did these mods. As the reinforcing vanes align with those directly in front (could do it a bit cheaper if this were ignored), likely designed to pass-through originally. I'm guessing that debris is more likely the issue. And VW of course has to ensure that the GTI motor leaves some room for the R power increment, so not focused on optimizing application of the motor for every last HP.

I added a metal grate to block large leaves, mounted behind and secured with rivets. Took pics but this stupid site doesn't host them- even with all the ads.

Wake up folks. Storage costs like nothing and most legit boards host.

jackalope

Ready to race!
What I thought was weird is that the duct has LESS restriction on the engine side, so it's probably drawing most of its flow from the engine bay except maybe at high speed when there's a bit of a "ram air" effect.

It could be that it's designed with limited outside air so it functions as a mix between a warm and cold air intake. Warm air would help a cold engine heat up faster and stay warm, especially in the winter when outside air is extremely cold. In much of the world we may not need this but VW sells the same car in the Arctic Circle

I bought the rear blocker piece from the hybrid Golf and it snaps right into that opening and forces the intake to suck air from the grill. Very easy and cheap mod. The part number is 5q0129849

People909

Ready to race!
Here is my final modification to the stock airbox of the MK7 GTI. As you can see, before this vent mod, I cut out the 3 pieces to the intake box. I followed up here by cutting out vents for the drivers side, so that the air can flow through the grill, into the cutout(s) that I made on the airbox unit itself. This extra mod took me about 1 1/2hrs of my time, mostly because I wanted to get the exact position of the opposite side, onto the drivers side, so that the unit looks clean and OEM. I don't have any files yet, to file down the rough edges, but will get some later on. Filing will make the edges look very clean, which would be nice as far as aesthetics is concerned. I have not yet driven the car with the new cut out vents, but will post here later once I have taken the car out for a spin. Steps are as follows:

1. Grab a piece of paper, crayon, and tape.
2. Tape the piece of paper onto the passenger side of vent, covering the entire vent.
3. Sketch over the vent with the crayon, so that you can see the outline of the vent, so that you have a perfect outline for the drivers side.
4. Measure the passenger side of vent, and use that measurement to place the sketched vent, onto the drivers side.
5. Tape it down according to measurements.
6. Take a pen and draw the outline onto the back side of the paper (you will need to draw this because the vent will be opposite from the other side, which makes it a requirement to flip the paper over).
7. Once you have your exact placement, remove the front grill using a T25 bit and socket wrench, and pull up the unit. Its secured by plastic tabs.
8. Take the unit over to a working bench, preferably with a vice, and secure it for drilling.
9. Using your dremel, dremel out the cuts from the outline you made.
10. Once done dremeling, you can use an electric drill and drill bit to drill out a hole on the top and bottom of the dremel cut, so that when you use your utility knife to cut the pieces out, it will be easier to cut. This step isn't 100% necessary, but I found it to be easier this way. You could also use a pointy punch out tool and hammer to do the same thing, if you don't have an electric drill.
11. Pull out the cut pieces.
12. Use the sander bit with the dremel, to sand the edges, top, and backside of your cuts.
13. Inspect the piece to make sure everything is done the way you like it.
14. Put the grill piece back onto the car, setting the plastic tabs in first, and then secure the top in.
15. Replace the T25 screws.
16. Inspect for perfect placement.
17. Have a drink and give yourself a pat on your back, for you now have a bad ass intake system for your GTI. Enjoy!
Instead of cutting out the grates on drivers side can't you just leave that piece left out??

jackalope

Ready to race!
Instead of cutting out the grates on drivers side can't you just leave that piece left out??

If you leave it out, you have a hot air intake that pulls from the engine bay.

If you cut the holes and then cut holes on the top of the grill horizontal plastic piece, you have a cold air intake

I used OBD11 to check IAT with the tube removed like you suggested and it was 5 degrees F hotter than with it in place and everything cut out for cold air. That was just driving around the block at low speed. The greater the volume of air entering the intake, the bigger difference you would see

Last edited:

cooloregon

Ok, look at the oem air-box opening. Now, look at the opening on the grill. The air box can only draw so much intake air through it. Cutting the drivers side air vents won't do much if anything. VW uses this same configuration for the Golf R's which puts out 300hp. Also, once the hood is shut, most of the air for the intake is coming from the little slat vent on top of the grill. By the way, notice that the new 2018 GTI's have 2 slat vents on top of their grills?