GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Plugs

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
This is going to vary depending on a dozen factors.

My stock plugs lasted 19k miles (17k tuned) before idle quality and drivability were compromised.

With the bigger turbo and more boost, I'm not even getting 10k.

This mirrors my experience. I get about 7k out of the Brisks before I have to consider re-gapping, or just putting in a new set.

People909

Ready to race!
This mirrors my experience. I get about 7k out of the Brisks before I have to consider re-gapping, or just putting in a new set.

My car has 37k and I bought it with 26k on it. I think the manual says 60k to change. But since I got a stage 1 tune should I get a different type than stock plugs. It's kind of weird on idle

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
My car has 37k and I bought it with 26k on it. I think the manual says 60k to change. But since I got a stage 1 tune should I get a different type than stock plugs. It's kind of weird on idle

You can still run stock plugs on stage 1, you may want to pull them and check the condition of the plugs and make sure they are still gapped correctly. Also would be good just to pull the plugs to see the condition of them to kindof determine the health of your car.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Id go one step colder.

Denso IKH24, the Brisks or RS7s. They all work, everyone has their preference.

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
Id go one step colder.

Denso IKH24, the Brisks or RS7s. They all work, everyone has their preference.

Good to know! I'm coming up on 10k with Uni ECU1.5/TCU1 and E30. Was going to change the plugs soon just to be safe and also to check on engine health.

RS7 plugs seem like a good, safe OEMish bet.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
For the rs7 plugs, between the two, it's worth noting that the beru are side firing and the NGK are top. I just swapped my 7,000 mile berus for NGK and the difference is negligible. Smoother, on the new plugs, but had both been brand new, i'd say you wouldn't be able to feel the difference.

NGK can be gapped where beru are not supposed to be. Both came out of the box, pre-gapped and equal to one-another. I think I got 0.025" on the NGKs I just dropped in. IIRC, beru were pretty close to that too.

FWIW, I spray about a gallon of 50/50 water and meth per tank of fuel. And my berus were starting to show a little (tiny bit) of idle roughness.

meth is a hell of a drug... on plugs:p

Replace your plugs more frequently on highly tuned and/or methanol consuming cars. Most folks say 10k. I went on feel and the new plugs absolutely smoothed both idle and acceleration out for me.

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Just a reminder.

The plug you need is determined by the type of driving you do and the modifications to the vehicle.

All a colder plug does is reduce the heat transfer needed. If you have increased cylinder temps and you drive with long periods of WOT you DO want a colder plug to reduce the amount of heat needed to transfer into the cylinder head. A hotter plug will essentially turn into a glow plug. That will create detonation.

If you simply do short blasts and daily drive stock plugs are fine. It's all in how you use your car and the increase in cylinder temps over stock you have done.

Last edited:

Hans

Ready to race!
The plug you need is determined by...
I would add, talk to your tuner. They'll specify what kind of plugs you need for the program they developed.

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
Are the ER14S the stock equivalent heat range plugs? TIA

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just swapped in the RS7 plugs the other day after sitting on them for 6 months. The Denso IHK24s had 25k Stg 1 miles on them. No wonder my car was starting to run like shit. Just look at that side electrode wear! I'm not surprised as this is well past their mileage interval. I was just lazy.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Just swapped in the RS7 plugs the other day after sitting on them for 6 months. The Denso IHK24s had 25k Stg 1 miles on them. No wonder my car was starting to run like shit. Just look at that side electrode wear! I'm not surprised as this is well past their mileage interval. I was just lazy.

Lol what's the gap on those?!