GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which oil spec

Jdreg

Ready to race!
I’m seeing in VW oil charts that they have gas engine oil spec 502 through 509.
I getting a 2018 gti. Which spec should be used. Is the higher number an improvement over the lower and therefore can be used in its place.
Thanks

Last edited:

Joel

Ready to race!
502 spec is fine for the 2017 GTI.
Unless they updated your engine I would assume the same holds.
I run Motul 8100

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I’m seeing in VW oil charts that they have gas engine oil spec 502 through 509.
I getting a 2018 gti. Which spec should be used. Is the higher number an improvement over the lower and therefore can be used in its place.
Thanks
The 502 and 504 specs are approved for use in the GTI. I own a 2018 GTI and I use Motul 8100 X-Max.

funks

Ready to race!
Snag the Castrol Edge 0W40 A3/B4 Euro Formula from Walmart (less than 30$ for 5 quarts). It's a Class 4 Oil - PAO (unlike the other Class 3 synthetics) - and meets all the highest Euro Mfg requirements - including VW 502. Not sure why some people keep pushing Liqui Moly, twice as much and isn't officially tested at VW 502 (only recommended, not approved) specs unlike the two listed here.

API SN, API SM, API SL, API SJ, API CF, ACEA A3/B3, ACEA A3/B4
BMW Longlife-01
Meets Ford WSS-M2C937-A
MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
Porsche A40
VW 502 00/ 505 00

I believe Mobil-1 FS 0W40 meets the requirements as well (pretty sure the FS one is Type 4) but did lose it's BMW LongLife-01 spec (compared to Castrol).

API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
VW 502 00/505 00
Porsche A40

Note: the small FS label near the handle.

Last edited:

dm33

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe Mobil-1 FS 0W40 meets the requirements as well (pretty sure the FS one is Type 4) but did lose it's BMW LongLife-01 spec (compared to Castrol).

API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
VW 502 00/505 00
Porsche A40

Note: the small FS label near the handle.
I'm attempting to research this at the moment. I looked up the SDS for Mobil 1 and its looking like group III. Wonder if they changed the formulation when they lost BMW LL01 certification.

The Mobil 1 SDS says: "Mobil 1 FS 0W-40"
Revision Date: 20 May 2016
Ingredients lists 40-70% "DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR".

I'd say that makes it a group III. It does include 10-20% decene which is a PAO.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Anything approved by vw with their 502 will work fine. Cheaper options include the stated Castrol and mobile 1. I've always used mobile 1 0w40 on my mercedes. Used it for my first change on my mk7 then after tuning switched to liqui moly 5w40. Engine runs a few degrees cooler, and oil is cleaner when I change it. It is not only recommended for vw502 it is most definitely approved by vw themselves. A simple check on the bottle or website will show you. Same with motul, and a lot of other high quality oils. Don't over think it. Go with something approved for warranty reasons and your fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
BMW is selecting 0w-20 for better fleet fuel economy ratings.

I'd suggest people get the SOPUS/Pennzoil Platinum Euro, as it's made with newer technology and has more stringent approvals.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Im using m1 0w-40($10 for 5 quarts after rebates) when factory oil is changed. Don't need to overthink oil or spend big bucks. It won't make any difference as long as you use the oil with the proper approvals and weight.

MikeGmk7

I never thought I'd be saying this, because after 40+ years of changing oil in my own motorcycles and cars I've never really "felt" a difference in how a vehicle performed with different oils, but I thought I'd pass along the following: Last two oil changes on my 2016 GTI, i used the Castrol 0w40. Seemed fine, engine sounded happy, etc. But I did notice some slight surging running up through 2nd and 3rd gears, and sometimes in 4th. I thought it was the stock mpg-oriented tuning or maybe my imagination, but.....I just changed the oil again, this time using 5W40 Castrol Professional from a kit offered by ECS Tuning. The hesitation/surging is GONE. Gone completely. The engine also sounds a bit sweeter at idle, less "clatter."

Anyone else have similar experience? I'm sticking with 5W40 until further notice.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Which is best to use, I think the manual says 5w40, but people are using 0w40. What is 0w40 and is it okay to use?
Just lighter weight when it's colder. As long as it's vw502 certified your fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

ieddtech

Passed Driver's Ed
I noticed the last posted date for this is 2018. It's now 2020. Has there been any changes since this list was last updated? I just did my oil change on my 18 Autobahn...I buy the Castrol Professional Edge 5W40 which...for some strange reason is less than what is it anywhere else. Including Wallyworld. But as I purchased this last 5L of oil...one of the techs in the shop told me VW is changing from Castrol to Mobil 1. I know the Castrol Edge is a Class 4...but he couldn't remember if the Mobil they're changing to was. Anybody know anything more about why they changed to Mobil after patronizing Castrol for decades? And if this new Mobil is a Class 4?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Specs have not changed for 18 and earlier MK7s. The spec for 19s did change. 508.xx. 0w-20

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Specs have not changed for 18 and earlier MK7s. The spec for 19s did change. 508.xx. 0w-20

also, 2019 is still "Castrol." If they are switching to Mobil, then it's with the 2020s, and in NA, those Euro '20s won't be a new model here for another 2 years anyway, right?