GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED Headlight Coding?

ofektal12

Ready to race!
So i Upgraded my housings to the led type( two U's) and the bulbs to led and after looking in obdeleven i saw that the car thinks i have halogen, how do i fix it? which bit to tick?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
More info on the lights that you installed. If you went aftermarket there nothing to code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Besides some minor things regarding the LED running lights there is not much you can code on aftermarket lights, just leave them alone if the y are working as they should

SoLiTeR

Besides some minor things regarding the LED running lights there is not much you can code on aftermarket lights, just leave them alone if the y are working as they should

thats the problem, they are not lighting anything, i need to use high beams to see 5 meters infront of me.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
thats the problem, they are not lighting anything, i need to use high beams to see 5 meters infront of me.

You mentioned that you are using LED bulbs correct? Chances are that the bulbs are installed at the wrong angle or they are not strong enough, I have Morimoto's 2 stroke LED bulbs on Ed's replicas and the work fine, very bright high beam is not so great, my cat comes with halogens from the factory and no coding was needed ,the issue could be your bulbs

SoLiTeR

You mentioned that you are using LED bulbs correct? Chances are that the bulbs are installed at the wrong angle or they are not strong enough, I have Morimoto's 2 stroke LED bulbs on Ed's replicas and the work fine, very bright high beam is not so great, my cat comes with halogens from the factory and no coding was needed ,the issue could be your bulbs

i hope its the bulbs, do you think the stock housings can use weaker bulbs? and the new one needs a strong bulb to light properly? cuz its a projector now. and the bulbs were installed in a dealership so it was probably done correctly

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
So i Upgraded my housings to the led type( two U's) and the bulbs to led and after looking in obdeleven i saw that the car thinks i have halogen, how do i fix it? which bit to tick?

ofektal:

The software switches that tell the Central electric module what type of headlights are installed in the car are in Byte 2, Bits 0-1.

The allowable values for these two bits are:
Halogen=hex0
Halogen_main_beam_assist=hex1
Xenon_AFS=hex2,
Xenon_AFS_and_main_beam_assist=hex3
Bi-xenon_AFS=hex4
Bi-xenon_AFS_and_main_beam_assist=hex5
Bi-xenon_AFS_and_MDF_GLW= hex6
Undefined = hex7

The value on your car for Byte2 is hex18, so your binary value is 0001 1000. This means that Bits 0-1 for this Byte have a value of hex0 - so halogen fittings (which I assume was the original factory setting.

As to whether this value needs to change - this depends entirely on your new headlights. If they are not true OEM fittings, then anything is possible.

But if you simply changed the lamps - then you might want to examine the "lastyp" channel on the Leuchte-sets for these lamps

Don

ofektal12

Ready to race!
ofektal:

The software switches that tell the Central electric module what type of headlights are installed in the car are in Byte 2, Bits 0-1.

Halogen=hex0
Xenon_AFS=hex2,
Bi-xenon_AFS=hex4
Undefined = hex7

The value on your car for Byte2 is hex18, so your binary value is 0001 1000. This means that Bits 0-1 for this Byte have a value of hex0 - so halogen fittings (which I assume was the original factory setting.

As to whether this value needs to change - this depends entirely on your new headlights. If they are not true OEM fittings, then anything is possible.

But if you simply changed the lamps - then you might want to examine the "lastyp" channel on the Leuchte-sets for these lamps

Don

with some research online i saw that bit 2 is for the ones i have and i changed and nothing happend which sucks.

and what is leuchte sets i saw you mentioned it on other forums but i cant find it.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
with some research online i saw that bit 2 is for the ones i have and i changed and nothing happend which sucks.

and what is leuchte sets i saw you mentioned it on other forums but i cant find it.

The Leuchte-sets for the two low-beam lights are:
Left-side = Leuchte6ABL LC5
Right-side = Leuchte7ABL RB1

The lasttyp setting should be 5 LED Abblendlicht (i.e. 5 LED low beam)
Don

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
ofektal:

Halogen=hex0
Xenon_AFS=hex2,
Bi-xenon_AFS=hex4
Undefined = hex7

Don

Would it be beneficial for those of us with halogen housings and using HID's for the low beams to change this setting or a similar setting so that the module knows that HID's are being used?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Would it be beneficial for those of us with halogen housings and using HID's for the low beams to change this setting or a similar setting so that the module knows that HID's are being used?

Reggie: Very good question and if true OEM HID fittings were retrofitted, I would think - yes!!.
But anything is possible for third party fittings, so I'm not sure!!

Setting the software switches to HID, makes the BCM correctly support AFS (Advanced Front-lighting System, or FLA (Main beam assist) in OEM installations. But, I'm not aware that 3rd party headlight fittings have these facilities (albeit, some fittings may have these capabilities).

As I said previously, the more pertinent question is how the Leuchte-sets for the lamps are programmed. And more importantly, how the cross-wiring looms that are sometimes used in the retrofitted headlights change the operation of these Leuchte-sets. Cross wiring looms have the effect of changing the pin assignments on the BCM and Leuchte-sets are specific to these pin assignments.

I've played with many 3rd party headlight assemblies and the only truth is that they are ALL different!!

Don

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I thought the LED settings in OBDII are for factory LEDs and not aftermarket headlights? Shouldn't the aftermarket ones be plug and play?

navin: "Shouldn't the aftermarket ones be plug and play?" YES!! But the better question is -are aftermarket ones plug and play? Answer -NO!!

Don