GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Modified Stock Air Box

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Plenty of guys running mid 11s through the factory air box, an aftermarket intake is a shiny noisemaker, gotta give it to their marketing depts, they've somehow convinced the masses to shell out $400-$1xxx for what could have cost ya the price of a drop in filter and 10 minutes with a dremel.

stdong

Passed Driver's Ed
I am stage 2 and did the snow grate removal but i'm hesitant to do the dremel work on the driver's side. Immediately after I got rid of the snow grate turbo spooling was much more audible. I am worried about doing the dremel work because I am going to be living in snow next winter and don't want to be prone to getting get unnecessary stuff into the airbox. Also, how much does an aftermarket drop in filter help such as a k&n? The stock filter seems pretty restrictive but I don't want to sacrifice much filtration.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I don't know why people call it a snow grate, if your getting snow buildup anywhere near the filter there's a much more serious design issue, it's obviously an air silencer/intake muffler, and every aftermarket intake "opens up" the work you'd be doing with a dremel, so don't worry about that, and a more porous filter (hi flow filter) not only helps with letting more through it also makes intake noises slightly easier to hear (turbo whistles etc)

$50 all in and less than an hr work or u can pay $450 + and work for a 1/2 hr, performance wise you'll end up at the same place!

bensonlui

Passed Driver's Ed
I can tell you the turbo pick up a bit quicker after I cut on two square from the driver's side. Not much louder but you feel the turbo breath a bit better? I only had AFE drop in, turbo inlet tube and pipe from CTS. That's all.

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
Use t-student normalization (n<30) and probably the confidence interval is less than 1% that there is no change.
Get the block off plastic plate of the GTE.

beflythis

Passed Driver's Ed
reviving this thread! Here is a new video of drilled holes on the driver side using cobb access port data
What's with the swiss cheese drilling??? You go the full length to do quality capture complete with post production, running testing for data purposes (thumbs up) but then are completely satisfied with only swiss cheese styles dremel work for airflow vs completely clearing the airway on the driver side????????? So random.

Jewels_mk7

Drag Racing Champion
What's with the swiss cheese drilling??? You go the full length to do quality capture complete with post production, running testing for data purposes (thumbs up) but then are completely satisfied with only swiss cheese styles dremel work for airflow vs completely clearing the airway on the driver side????????? So random.
I see what you mean but it still works fine. thats why we showed the paper suction clip

beflythis

Passed Driver's Ed
missing the point, mate.... you're data logging so the question becomes "how much more airflow would you see with properly completed dremel work?"

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
missing the point, mate.... you're data logging so the question becomes "how much more airflow would you see with properly completed dremel work?"
The datalog is of intake air temperature. How is he going to deduce a change in airflow?

beflythis

Passed Driver's Ed
good catch - pardon my word choice. I am not a data scientist.
So why didn't he just stop with one dremel hole?