GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Transmission Shifting Issue

gtowngovernor

Ready to race!
Hi friends, I have noticed this weird thing happening with my car. I don't know if it is something that is expected with a stock clutch or if I am doing something wrong (or perhaps there is a defect).

I have a 2016 Golf R w/DCC, Manual Transmission, all stock. When I launch the car from 0 and want to take off fast, I usually push it to about 5K RPM and then up-shift, and so on. Now this is when weird things happen.

When I am at a high RPM range like on 3rd gear (lets say ~5500) and I super-quickly shift up and press back on the gas (all very fast), somehow the transmission does not adjust the RPMs down (to lets say ~4000) and keeps the RPM where it was on the previous gear. And if I keep pressing gas it will go beyond where I don't want it to go (6000+). I almost have to let go of the gas for a second (after shifting) for it to adjust back down and to bite the gear that I am on. Is this what "clutch slipping" is? And is it normal to happen when I am driving like a maniac? I kind of expected the car to be able to handle the power with all stock equipment.

Anyone else ever experience this? Any suggestions? If it is a defect, is it covered by the warranty?

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Generally, increased rpm's without increased power (and no loss of tire grip) is classic slippage.

todd92

Passed Driver's Ed
Remove the CDV, if you haven't already. If it's still doing it after, you've fried your clutch. Good luck getting that warrantied.

mr_blasto

Passed Driver's Ed
My understanding is that this is how the car is programmed to operate. People who have switch from a DMF to a SMF have noticed that the car may rev faster, but RPMs stay elevated briefly between gear shifts. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but my understanding is that your car is functioning normally and a different clutch or removal of the CDV won't change a thing.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
My understanding is that this is how the car is programmed to operate. People who have switch from a DMF to a SMF have noticed that the car may rev faster, but RPMs stay elevated briefly between gear shifts. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but my understanding is that your car is functioning normally and a different clutch or removal of the CDV won't change a thing.

It sounds like he's saying this happens AFTER he has removed his foot from the clutch entirely... if this is the case, his shit's toast.

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
RPM hang with the clutch in and throttle off is a byproduct of flywheel inertia. Slow uptake of the clutch pedal after a rapid depress is a byproduct of the CDV + over center clutch helper spring.

A true test would be a high gear (4, 5 or 6) low RPM (2,500) + high load roll on throttle uphill. If the tach needle sweeps up at all with no road speed increase indication, the clutch is certainly slipping.

mr_blasto

Passed Driver's Ed
RPM hang with the clutch in and throttle off is a byproduct of flywheel inertia. Slow uptake of the clutch pedal after a rapid depress is a byproduct of the CDV + over center clutch helper spring.

A true test would be a high gear (4, 5 or 6) low RPM (2,500) + high load roll on throttle uphill. If the tach needle sweeps up at all with no road speed increase indication, the clutch is certainly slipping.

Good catch. If that's what he's talking about, time to look at the clutch.

gtowngovernor

Ready to race!
Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I wanted to clarify something. This is not something that happens regularly. This only happens when I really really push the car to the limit. I still have lots of power in my clutch when I am not shifting. This only happens during a high rpm SHIFT and only SOMETIMES. I have never had the clutch slip if I am just pushing in the same gear (like from 2K - 5.5K) even on a high uphill (I'll try this test again - thanks KLEEMANN1). When people say it is fried or toast, wouldn't that mean that I would feel it every day?

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Might just be rev hang from flywheel inertia as mentioned above. Then clutch doesn't grab fast enough to drop engine speed before you are back on the throttle. As other suggested, remove CDV and maybe helper spring if you haven't already.

gtowngovernor

Ready to race!
As other suggested, remove CDV and maybe helper spring if you haven't already.

Remove the CDV, if you haven't already. If it's still doing it after, you've fried your clutch. Good luck getting that warrantied.

Not to be a pain here, but ... I mean ... I am kind of a noob here and I am afraid to touch things I dont know things about. What are the pros / cons of removing this thing. Maybe it's worth it for me just to leave it as is? lol.

I appreciate you guys helping me out!

gtowngovernor

Ready to race!
Might just be rev hang from flywheel inertia as mentioned above. Then clutch doesn't grab fast enough to drop engine speed before you are back on the throttle. As other suggested, remove CDV and maybe helper spring if you haven't already.

It does sound awfully close to what actually is happening based on my feel.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Not trying to be condescending, but rather save you time and dealer frustration...

If you aren't sure if it's slip, find a friend who knows cars well or even another forum enthusiast in the Bay Area, and have them drive your car.