GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cant Install Fog lights

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
was just researching about retrofitting front fogs and i saw there are only two wires to the bcm, but i dont have those pins in socket B. so i have to replace the entire bcm for something as basic as fog lights?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Maybe.

What car do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
isnt that kind of stupid? 2014 mk7 golf 1.2 tsi

Well it saves VW money. You probably do need a bcm if it’s a base model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

It's not stupid at all. It's ALWAYS a good idea to state the year, trim level and country of your car, since equipment levels vary for all of these variable. It was rude of you to reply to the PP in the way that you did.

im not sure, in my country its different. but it didnt come with anything( no fog lights no folding mirrors no sunroof no anything. the most basic car)

Again, stating the basics is helpful. What country, what trim level (and what year).

its not worth it. just for fog lights

If you want to keep your car OEM, you would need a new BCM with the pins for fogs. However, if you don't mind going slightly non-OEM, you can always just wire in a relay. You would hook up the signal wire from the OEM light switch to the BCM as norma. Then you would program an unused pin in the BCM to act as the fog pin. Send that to the relay to energize the relay coil. The only disadvantage here is that you won't get a bulb-out warning if a bulb burns out since it's not being controlled by the BCM.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
It's not stupid at all. It's ALWAYS a good idea to state the year, trim level and country of your car, since equipment levels vary for all of these variable. It was rude of you to reply to the PP in the way that you did.

Again, stating the basics is helpful. What country, what trim level (and what year).

If you want to keep your car OEM, you would need a new BCM with the pins for fogs. However, if you don't mind going slightly non-OEM, you can always just wire in a relay. You would hook up the signal wire from the OEM light switch (the one that goes to the BCM) to the relay coil, and let the relay transfer voltage from a fusebox fuse to the fogs. The left and right fog wires are just hooked up together in parallel. The only disadvantage here is that you won't get a bulb-out warning if a bulb burns out since it's not being controlled by the BCM.

i didnt say he said something stupid, that wasnt what i meant at all! i said that needing to replace a bcm just for fogs is stupid.

im from israel, the only thing i know about the car is that its a 2014 1.2 tsi. here its not like in the us, its kind of different

and wiring it using a realy was the first thing i thought of but i want to keep the car as oem as possible

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
i didnt say he said something stupid, that wasnt what i meant at all! i said that needing to replace a bcm just for fogs is stupid.

im from israel, the only thing i know about the car is that its a 2014 1.2 tsi. here its not like in the us, its kind of different

and wiring it using a realy was the first thing i thought of but i want to keep the car as oem as possible

It should still have a trim level, surely?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

Go re-read the chronology of the statements:

Maybe.

What car do you have?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Best way is to look at the pins on the BCM and see if its there. It's possible it has the pin for the fog light. I have a 2017 GTI Sport...and it did not come with fog lights either. The wiring harness that goes from the switch to the BCM does not have the fog light wire.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Best way is to look at the pins on the BCM and see if its there. It's possible it has the pin for the fog light. I have a 2017 GTI Sport...and it did not come with fog lights either. The wiring harness that goes from the switch to the BCM does not have the fog light wire.
i did look, pins 45 and 5 are not there. i saw in a another forum that Don said its possible to wire them to other pins on the bcm and code it to work. i really hope this is true

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk