GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Autobahn check oil light on ?? WTF

Strega511

Passed Driver's Ed
Just purchased a 2016 GTI autobahn manual with 14500mi. I was driving it today
and the check eng.oil display came on. I couldn't get a last oil change mileage from the previous owner. I checked the dipstick and it shows low maybe a 1/2"
from the tip. I had ordered the Liqui Moly oil change kit from ESC right after I bought it.

Last edited:

Strega511

Passed Driver's Ed
When i bought it. It had 14150mi. never thought to check oil level. Was driving today and the check engine oil display came on. Mileage at that time was 14500 mi.

Strega511

Passed Driver's Ed
When i bought it. It had 14150mi. never thought to check oil level. Was driving today and the check engine oil display came on. Mileage at that time was 14500 mi.

Obviously, I'm going to change the oil and filter. Just don't get why it's low.
The only thing the previous owner said is that he had oil changes done at Valvoline oil change center.

How many could he have done? 2 maybe??

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Hard to know how many oil changes. I'd guess one at 10,000 miles or so since I believe that is the recommended interval by VW. My guess is the previous owners Quickylube oil change used the wrong oil or did a short fill.

Change the oil asap & pull the dipstick once a week. That will tell you if the car is using oil. I'd guess you'll be OK. Enjoy your new GTI.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
The only thing the previous owner said is that he had oil changes done at Valvoline oil change center.

I trust those lube monkeys about as far as I can throw them.

Change the filter and oil as soon as you can.

Strega511

Passed Driver's Ed
Changing Oil and filter tomorrow. Liqui Moly 5w-40. Yes I will check level often. What is the recommend interval. 10k?

Thanks for all replies.

Tigsel

Ready to race!

Strega511

Passed Driver's Ed
It's $10.00 more for 6 Liters, one filter, and drain plug. Compared to the ESC kit.
Can you tell me the advantage of the 0w-40?

Thanks

Last edited:

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
You will get many answers as to what interval is best. For me it is every 5,000 miles. Oil is cheap engines are not. Wait a bit & someone will say I'm wasting my money & to do it at 10,000 miles.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
It's $10.00 more for 6 Liters, one filter, and drain plug. Compared to the ESC kit.
Can you tell me the advantage of the 0w-40?

Thanks

You get two filter, four plugs and a much better true synthetic (group IV base stock) oil. Yes it's a bit more initially but you'll break even on the second one while still getting better oil.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
You will get many answers as to what interval is best. For me it is every 5,000 miles. Oil is cheap engines are not. Wait a bit & someone will say I'm wasting my money & to do it at 10,000 miles.

As long as you regularly get the oil up to temperature, 10k is fine.

There are numerous UOA examples showing that this is true, and 5k intervals are a waste of money.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion

You and I went to the same school. I do our Golf the same, using a kit from Deutsche Auto Parts.

Strega511

Passed Driver's Ed
You get two filter, four plugs and a much better true synthetic (group IV base stock) oil. Yes it's a bit more initially but you'll break even on the second one while still getting better oil.

I like your thinking. I'm going to go that way. Thank's for the info.