GOLFMKV

tune or not.....

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
FBO (full bolt ons) and Jb4 would be a good start, I’m personally APR stage 2 and love it, but I also don’t care about warranty

FBO: intake, intercooler, exhaust (at least the downpipe) and tune.

As mentioned before engine/transmission mounts are very important as are better tires if you wanna be able to use any of that power

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

It's the code that tells Volkswagen the car has been tuned. Once you overwrite the ECU it's automatically logged by the computer.

It's VW's get out of jail free card if you explode your turbo under hi-boost and try to claim it was some kind of factory defect. :p

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It's the code that tells Volkswagen the car has been tuned. Once you overwrite the ECU it's automatically logged by the computer.

It's VW's get out of jail free card if you explode your turbo under hi-boost and try to claim it was some kind of factory defect. :p

Exactly, just to expand on this, it applies to all tunes, not just Cobb.

Personally I care more about the limitations of a piggyback than I do about the warranty.

thxrick

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 BMW X4MC, 2016

In have had a tuned subaru and multiple bmws. I was under the impression they had to LOOK for it?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
In have had a tuned subaru and multiple bmws. I was under the impression they had to LOOK for it?

They do have to look for it.

It's not just the dealer scanning the car for engine codes. If you have a major problem with the drive train, VW can request that the dealer use their tool to deep scan the ECU and that info goes directly to VW. If the car comes up with the TD1 they get to dodge responsibility for whatever happened.

If you go in to get a headlight replaced it's not the kind of thing that would come up.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Exactly, just to expand on this, it applies to all tunes, not just Cobb.

Personally I care more about the limitations of a piggyback than I do about the warranty.

I have 70,500 miles left on mine... I'm worried about it, but a piggyback is different, and I'm ok with 290 on a MD

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have 70,500 miles left on mine... I'm worried about it, but a piggyback is different, and I'm ok with 290 on a MD

Had 58k left on my warranty when I tuned it @ 2k miles.

Currently have 27k remaining until I've officially won the gamble of tuning during the warranty.

Piggybacks have their advantage (warranty) and their several disadvantages.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Regardless of which direction you go...you just have to go with what your goals you want for your car. The good thing about a plug in box is that if you want more power later...you can always sell the box and recover your costs. Who knows... you might be completely happy with what it gives you.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Regardless of which direction you go...you just have to go with what your goals you want for your car. The good thing about a plug in box is that if you want more power later...you can always sell the box and recover your costs. Who knows... you might be completely happy with what it gives you.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I've been through tuning and modding with 2 Evos, a wrx, MS3, 370z, and I'm sick of working on cars... so a plug in it's just fine with me.