GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ruined my sound?

Chriz1

Passed Driver's Ed
My cars been back and forth to the dealers to sort out the carnet and CarPlay problems when it came back the first time I noticed how much improved the sound quality was over how the unit used to be, the only visual changes I noticed was there was blue highlighting around the station and other menus.
But it had to go back to have carnet added as they forgot it.
Now it’s come back the sound quality is flat again and the highlighting has turned back red!

Is there a way I can get this back to as it was before ? I’m not sure what it was but must have been a software change or something

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Not sure if you have VCDS to look at the coding of the infotainment unit which is the 5F module. What everyone should do is make logs of their coding of all their modules. The red blue is usually byte 18 for animation believe blue is R and red is GTI, but it could be GTD eGolf, etc, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFMsQc-b1rQ&t=95s However, it sounds (pun intended) like something else in coding was changed that affected the sound. Bytes 04 and 11 select how many speakers you have, not knowing what you have or even if you have the capability to look at your coding not sure how we can assist.

More info then you need, but from an article I wrote below is the applicable information. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600

Save Coding and Adaptations:
Using Vag-Com, go to Application, Controller Map, and make copy of 5F infotainment and 47 Sound (if you have Fender system). Just in case you need these and to compare with new unit. Likely your new unit will be set up properly, but always good practice.

Vag-Com changes: Since your unit is likely from salvage it is already coded with adaptations all sorted. However, you should check a couple of things in the 5F module. Check bytes 4 and 11 if you have a Fender System as the donor unit may not have come from an external amp unit. In my case I did have to change the values to the original values of byte 4 to 00 and byte 11 to 02. Also verify byte 19 is set for USB iPhone fully functionality.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Is there a way to completely 100% reset the infotainment (and I presume the entire car) to a "factory default" setting where NOTHING is modified? I know I've seen a couple of default/reset items somewhere in the menus but wonder if you CAN reset the car to "from the factory" condition and start over.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Is there a way to completely 100% reset the infotainment (and I presume the entire car) to a "factory default" setting where NOTHING is modified? I know I've seen a couple of default/reset items somewhere in the menus but wonder if you CAN reset the car to "from the factory" condition and start over.

good question I'd like to know this as well.

Chriz1

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure if you have VCDS to look at the coding of the infotainment unit which is the 5F module. What everyone should do is make logs of their coding of all their modules. The red blue is usually byte 18 for animation believe blue is R and red is GTI, but it could be GTD eGolf, etc, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFMsQc-b1rQ&t=95s However, it sounds (pun intended) like something else in coding was changed that affected the sound. Bytes 04 and 11 select how many speakers you have, not knowing what you have or even if you have the capability to look at your coding not sure how we can assist.

More info then you need, but from an article I wrote below is the applicable information. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600

Save Coding and Adaptations:
Using Vag-Com, go to Application, Controller Map, and make copy of 5F infotainment and 47 Sound (if you have Fender system). Just in case you need these and to compare with new unit. Likely your new unit will be set up properly, but always good practice.

Vag-Com changes: Since your unit is likely from salvage it is already coded with adaptations all sorted. However, you should check a couple of things in the 5F module. Check bytes 4 and 11 if you have a Fender System as the donor unit may not have come from an external amp unit. In my case I did have to change the values to the original values of byte 4 to 00 and byte 11 to 02. Also verify byte 19 is set for USB iPhone fully functionality.
Thanks for replying,
It has had a new 5f unit according to the dealer under warranty, as the CarPlay and carnet was not working on the original also a new control unit in glovebox.
too,
It came back with CarPlay working and a big improvement in sound and also the blue highlighting. I also noticed the system was slightly different graphics wise and bit faster just a nicer system slightly, if that makes sense.
But carnet still was not working so it went back to be installed and came back with the red highlighting and crap sound !
I do have vcds so you think maybe I can change this myself ? If so how please ?
I have discover pro on standard speakers but like I say I would like to get back the software it had previously please !!

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for replying,

I do have vcds so you think maybe I can change this myself ? If so how please ?
I have discover pro on standard speakers but like I say I would like to get back the software it had previously please !!

Pardon the late response, just saw this. Using vcds go to the 5F module and copy the coding and post here. From there we can see if something is not right in coding that would provide the symptoms you have.