GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Speakers Are Set to Disappear

adam1991

Banned
A door panel or other interior trim could do double duty, opening up in-car real estate for something else where a speaker sits today.

They mean, "...allowing more cost cutting to increase profits while using the marketing department to convince buyers this is new and shiny and therefore preferable".

"Which Rush package would you like sir? Limbaugh or rock? We can adjust the actuators to your pleasure."

elterrible

Passed Driver's Ed
This will only make aftermarket far worse. Its already gotten a lot harder in the last 10 years with so many functions integrated into the factory head unit (which never have pre outs), then most cars in the last 2-3 years dont even have a standard sized din unit and now they are talking about no speakers (so no places to mount a new one) and using the ceilings as reverberating material for a giant speaker.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
This is fine for low frequencies. In fact, I use tactile transducers in my Home Theater.

Having heard "full range" speakers using transducers made by Dayton. The least impressive part of the speakers were high frequencies. It's only a matter of time before they get that right...
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=exciter

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
This seems similar to one of the high end Sony or Samsung HDTVs that somehow vibrates the screen to create sound instead of having built in speakers. Apparently the tv implementation sounds very good.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
This is fine for low frequencies. In fact, I use tactile transducers in my Home Theater.

Having heard "full range" speakers using transducers made by Dayton. The least impressive part of the speakers were high frequencies. It's only a matter of time before they get that right...
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=exciter

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Very true. Tactile transducers have been used for years in home and office. They are pretty cool but unless designed correctly, the sound quality won't be great. They're most popular for low frequencies (bass) but many materials aren't made to vibrate at higher frequencies.

My buddy who is a huge audio and tech guy brought a transducer to school once in high school and put it on the bottom of his desk. Teacher was very confused where the music was coming from

I would also be concerned about vibrating components in the car directly. VW already has enough of a rattle problem as it is. Vibrating fasteners and clips probably is a bad idea