GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roc Euro Stabilizer Bar cracked DSG housing

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
I think based off peoples' reports that the bolts were loose after x amount of time, that it's almost certainly what happened.

Sorry I've been a ghost. My car has been sitting in my driveway for the last week or so. I live with my parents (just graduated college on sunday), so i've been able to use my mom's car until I figure this out. I meant to revert the car to stock yesterday but some other stuff came up. And today is supposed to be sever thunderstorms, so hopefully tomorrow. Definitely by Friday.

Any chance you could get the broken bolt hole in the transmission welded, drilled and tapped? Basically repair the broken transmission housing?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Any chance you could get the broken bolt hole in the transmission welded, drilled and tapped? Basically repair the broken transmission housing?

I'll try that route if I'm unable to get this replaced under warranty.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Okay so I ~finally~ got under my car today to remove the roc euro bar and reinstall the OEM bar.

To recap, the center bolt was already gone, as that mounting point was the part of the transmission housing that failed. Removing the front bolt, the other mounting point to the transmission, was so easy I didn't even use a tool. It came unthreaded using my fingers and nothing else.

Reinstalling the OEM pendulum mount, I reused all the OEM bolts (yes, including the big one for the dogbone). Interestingly, I was actually able to reinstall the middle bolt, the one that threads into the broken part of the trans. However, whatever excess stress had been put on the front bolt due to the failure of the middle had totally stripped the threads on the transmission housing where the front bolt is secured. So I have my OEM pendulum mount back in, sans the front bolt.

Time to bring it in and play dumb. Wish me luck fellas.

I apologize, I did not take any pictures. When the dealer calls me to tell me my shit is fubar, I'll ask for pics.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Time to bring it in and play dumb. Wish me luck fellas.

I apologize, I did not take any pictures. When the dealer calls me to tell me my shit is fubar, I'll ask for pics.

Did you ever get confirmation that the shop you used properly hand torqued everything down? Was any thread locker used? That bolt coming out by finger es no bueno.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Did you ever get confirmation that the shop you used properly hand torqued everything down? Was any thread locker used? That bolt coming out by finger es no bueno.

I think it's pretty damn obvious that this failure is due to improper installation. I'm not bashing Roc Euro at all. I'm super annoyed with the shop that I paid nearly $200/hr labor for their "prestigious" reputation as a reputable independent shop screwing up an install like this.

It does not seem as though any threadlocker was used, although I don't know what the substance's attributes are like to say whether or not it was. There was a rubbery chalky substance on my APR dogbone insert when I removed it. But nothing to speak of on the bolts.

I personally returned the car to stock since I wasn't going to take it back there (the shop is 2 hours away, not driving my messed up car 2 hours to argue with a place that almost certainly has a "no liability" clause when I signed off on the work). The upside to this is I'm not paying an arm and a leg for other people to fuck my car up in the future. I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself, since I have a vested interest in making sure it's done correctly.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
This is why I do literally everything (house, car, etc..) myself. Rarely has anyone done a job up to my expectations.

Yeah, I mean a few years ago I tried replacing the plugs and coils on my MK6 and I broke the clips on 3/4 of the plugs on the harness, which cost $500 after labor to replace. After that I went forward with the attitude that doing it myself = being cheap, and that I would eventually pay more for my cheapness. But I have done a lot of work on my car since then, including doing the plugs and coils on my MK7, and have way more confidence in myself now. Note that i'm 24 and did not have an upbringing around cars, I got into this lifestyle of my own accord. My dad thinks I'm crazy for doing work on my car, lol. So it's been an uphill battle of sorts, but I'm confident in myself for most things now. Obviously I'm not going to be replacing any clutches alone lol.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Holy shit I just saw this thread. Speechless. Sorry about your ride GW. This is why I do as much of my own work as possible. Are you offloading the car completely or are you going to get a used DSG?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Holy shit I just saw this thread. Speechless. Sorry about your ride GW. This is why I do as much of my own work as possible. Are you offloading the car completely or are you going to get a used DSG?

I returned the car to stock and I am going to bring it in and play dumb. (it's under warranty, and has never been tuned)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Dealer called me. I'm super weirded out, because they said "The dogbone is an aftermarket part, so this isn't covered." Which is weird, because I reverted the car to stock... It's totally stock under there. I even remember the OEM pendulum bar has a VAG parts sticker on it. So I'm going to ask them for a picture to show me what that mean that I have an aftermarket part on my car... Cause I don't, as a matter of fact.