GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

avs

Passed Driver's Ed
Doesn’t the gti have both the front aero under tray and skid tray from factory for NA? What’s the difference between the gti aero under tray (3Q0-825-235-A) and 3Q0-825-236?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Doesn’t the gti have both the front aero under tray and skid tray from factory for NA? What’s the difference between the gti aero under tray (3Q0-825-235-A) and 3Q0-825-236?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NO the GTI does NOT......& putting both numbers into google brings up images for both items...ever thought of doing that???

3Q0-825-235-A
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/front-belly-pan/3q0825235a/

3Q0-825-236
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/baffle/3q0825236/

Obvious from looking at both photos that the "3Q0-825-235-A" is the standard half length aero tray.

The "3Q0-825-236" is the full length aero tray (specifically from the GTE Golf).

Nice google image comparison for the two parts:-
http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/gtivsgte156mp7twb2xe5.jpg

NEITHER is the "skid tray" as they are just thin plastic.

Last edited:

athos56

Ready to race!
Well, good and ok.

The front exhaust tunnel cover went on easy as pie. The rear exhaust tunnel cover fought a bit. The front clips are easy once you figure out the proper orientation. The outside speed washer gave me a little trouble, I had to flatten out some shielding to get enough of the screw to secure the panel. Take a look.

Attachments

• IMG_20180115_121008a.jpg
    IMG_20180115_121008a.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,127
  • IMG_20180115_124820a.jpg
    IMG_20180115_124820a.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 1,201
  • IMG_20180115_131859a.jpg
    IMG_20180115_131859a.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 1,392
  • IMG_20180115_131911a.jpg
    IMG_20180115_131911a.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 1,173

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The front exhaust tunnel cover went on easy as pie. The rear exhaust tunnel cover fought a bit. The front clips are easy once you figure out the proper orientation. The outside speed washer gave me a little trouble, I had to flatten out some shielding to get enough of the screw to secure the panel. Take a look.

As the OP...it was done on an estate (sportwagen in USA) & the heat shield in that area does NOT have that tab over the thread. Also I have seen some hatch's again with out the tab.

Obviously VW have modified the heat shield so it now has a tab which requires flattening out to get the tray to fit over & be able to use the thread..

No big deal...minor "adjustments"....:cool:

athos56

Ready to race!
As the OP...it was done on an estate (sportwagen in USA) & the heat shield in that area does NOT have that tab over the thread. Also I have seen some hatch's again with out the tab.

Obviously VW have modified the heat shield so it now has a tab which requires flattening out to get the tray to fit over & be able to use the thread..

No big deal...minor "adjustments"....:cool:
Thanks for all the help in this thread. I installed the skid plate today, and those brackets are no joke. I hate them. That being said, how much of the bumper do you have to take off to access that front side of the bolts holding the brackets to the frame? I'd feel better getting them a bit tighter.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for all the help in this thread. I installed the skid plate today, and those brackets are no joke. I hate them. That being said, how much of the bumper do you have to take off to access that front side of the bolts holding the brackets to the frame? I'd feel better getting them a bit tighter.
Don't remove any of the bumper. I just reached up and installed from below. Not an easy contortion but it can be done.

athos56

Ready to race!
Honestly though, I would suggest to anyone doing this that a M8 hex bolt/washer and the appropriate ratcheting spanner with a pivoting end would make the bracket install way simpler. Just make sure the spanner isn't really short and get one with a 100 or more teeth. The socket wrench I used had 100 teeth and the space was so tight I had one tooth to work with. What made it hard was getting the triple square socket up there, IDK if my car was significantly different but on the driver's side my hand filled the entire working space and the opening barely fit over my wrists. I succeeded though....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

ALL the bumper has to come off...

& if you look at the post on the skid tray you will notice that I quoted from another forum member who used the hex head bolts & I list the part numbers...

Also you should have taken into account that I said "& with great dexterity" to fit the brackets & bolts....;)

anyway I will have the bumper off on mine one day as I want to wrap/insulate the screen wash tank as I have the huge 5lt one...so I'll go back & redo the bolts up

athos56

Ready to race!
ALL the bumper has to come off...

& if you look at the post on the skid tray you will notice that I quoted from another forum member who used the hex head bolts & I list the part numbers...

Also you should have taken into account that I said "& with great dexterity" to fit the brackets & bolts....;)

anyway I will have the bumper off on mine one day as I want to wrap/insulate the screen wash tank as I have the huge 5lt one...so I'll go back & redo the bolts up
Yep, I hear you. Mines coming off because I want to fit some fog lights. You can read a thread a million times and still miss something important. Anyhow, it wouldn't have happened at all without this thread :). I got over 5mpg increase on my last couple tanks so far, and my spirited drive yesterday seemed more planted, idk could be "expectation bias"

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yep, I hear you. Mines coming off because I want to fit some fog lights. You can read a thread a million times and still miss something important. Anyhow, it wouldn't have happened at all without this thread :). I got over 5mpg increase on my last couple tanks so far, and my spirited drive yesterday seemed more planted, idk could be "expectation bias"

Thanks...

& the better mpg is down to the smoother air flow which causes way less turbulence & way less lift of the car....basically the air under the car can pass through easier & "cleaner"....same reasons why top sports cars & race cars have undertrays full length & full width...basic aerodynamics....

...just a shame that VW chose to design the items & then not fit them & decided to use computer software to cheat emissions when they could have fitted all the undertrays & got a permanent low drag coefficient (cd) which would have lowered the emissions in the test as they have to take into account the cd factor......

& I bet it would have cost them way less compared to all the sh1t they are in now.....idiots...

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Thanks...

& the better mpg is down to the smoother air flow which causes way less turbulence & way less lift of the car....basically the air under the car can pass through easier & "cleaner"....same reasons why top sports cars & race cars have undertrays full length & full width...basic aerodynamics....

...just a shame that VW chose to design the items & then not fit them & decided to use computer software to cheat emissions when they could have fitted all the undertrays & got a permanent low drag coefficient (cd) which would have lowered the emissions in the test as they have to take into account the cd factor......

& I bet it would have cost them way less compared to all the sh1t they are in now.....idiots...
Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RC Mad

I fitted the exhaust tunnel front cover, rear exhaust tunnel cover and the rear axle cover last night. Did all three in under an hour including getting tools and putting tools back. Hardest bit was fitting the catches on the axle cover :D

Car sounds much quieter at speed and does indeed feel more planted. Not taken it on a long run yet to see what differences i get mpg wise, but it was a bit higher than normal during the commute to work, even in all this wind.

Will be doing the engine undertray when i perform an oil change, no point in taking that cover off twice!

Thanks for the info golfdave, in this thread and the other how too guides :D

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I fitted the exhaust tunnel front cover, rear exhaust tunnel cover and the rear axle cover last night. Did all three in under an hour including getting tools and putting tools back. Hardest bit was fitting the catches on the axle cover :D

Car sounds much quieter at speed and does indeed feel more planted. Not taken it on a long run yet to see what differences i get mpg wise, but it was a bit higher than normal during the commute to work, even in all this wind.

Will be doing the engine undertray when i perform an oil change, no point in taking that cover off twice!

Thanks for the info golfdave, in this thread and the other how too guides :D

Glad you got it all fitted ok & yes the Passat rear axle tray does the most work on the estate...really makes a huge difference to the stability..

Re the full engine undertray..I thought the diesels got the full cover "aero" tray fitted at factory & not the 1/2 cover tray as per petrol's?

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
MK7 rear axle cover is in. Finally done with all the aero mods. :)

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

Last edited: