GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Successfully removed gauge cluster scratches

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
You can get the trim over the guages off and then the plastic is one piece, would be much easier to clean.
To get that trim off you need to take the trim thats on each side off first, that's the vent and touchscreen trims, then you'll be able to get the gauge trim off, to get that off there's a bit above the steering wheel that needs pulled off first. If you need detailed info i can take mine apart and list photos, i've done it a couple of times, first to wrap the trim and secondly to replace the wrap with plastidip.
When i cleaned mine, i used a very small dollop of paste and did it twice, i was properly working the paste in as opposed to just wiping

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
You can get the trim over the guages off and then the plastic is one piece, would be much easier to clean.
To get that trim off you need to take the trim thats on each side off first, that's the vent and touchscreen trims, then you'll be able to get the gauge trim off, to get that off there's a bit above the steering wheel that needs pulled off first. If you need detailed info i can take mine apart and list photos, i've done it a couple of times, first to wrap the trim and secondly to replace the wrap with plastidip.
When i cleaned mine, i used a very small dollop of paste and did it twice, i was properly working the paste in as opposed to just wiping

I'd really appreciate it. I know it's one piece underneath the trim I've just been hesitant to attempt to take it apart. I'm a little worried about a broken clip or subsequent rattles.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Can you provide any detail info on best way to start the trim removal and picture so the clip locations? I have seen some video of the removal but occurs so fast that I did not really see how they started. I have the tools but want to make sure I am not forcing at the wrong locations. The radio cover feels so solid that it is hard to tell where to start. I have played with it some but never felt like I was going to get one unclipped.

Video would be great.

Thanks

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Sorry lads, this isn't going to be detailed at all, i didn't want to use the trim tools to take the trim off incase i damaged the plastidip but hopefully this gives you a good idea.

This is the centre trim as it should be:

1rst - air con trim: Take off the trim from around the air con controls - very easy, just open the drawer below, get a good grip on the trim piece, i usually put my hand in the middle and pull it out towards yourself, all the trim pieces are held in place by compression clips.

2nd - infotainment & top vent trim: Now that the aircon trim is gone, you can do the same again with this, just get a good grip in the centre and pull towards yourself, this will unclip until about half way up.

3rd: This is when you need the trim tools, you need a tool that will go behind the trim at the very top, above the vents, you need to get the tool in there and work the trim out, work around the outside edges all around the top half of the trim just slowly trying to lever it out, the vent shutters should stay in place.

4th: Then you take off the drivers vent trim, again working around the edges trying to lever it out, the vent shutters can come out too, but don't worry, theyvaren't connected to anythin, they're just shutters.

5th: The little piece above the steering wheel, you just pull it out towards yourself:

6th: After you've done all of the above, all you'll be left with is the gauge trim, again you just need to work the trim tool around the edges.

Don't be afraid to give it some force, i was crapping myself when i first did it, but they are stronger than they look. The trim is well held in by compression clips.

I hope this can help yous out a bit, like i say i didn't want to use the trim tools because it will tear my plastidip. But if anybody needs any more help i'll see what i can do. Couldn't do a video, i'm on my own and my phone battery was just about dead.

I'm a wizard with photoshop, so if you think you need more detail and arrows etc would help, i'm sure i'll be able to put something together in time.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Thanks. Will give it a go.
Looks like you did a good job on the white interior.
Cheers, problem with plastidip is that it attracts dust like flies to crap and when it's white like mine i notice it. It was white carbon wrap before, similar problem but the dip is easier to clean or patch up if i ever need to

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
If you take the trim off and go in with the mindset that if you do somehow break something, theres plenty of spares on eBay that you can replace them with. That way you might not be so delicate. The first time i did it, i got fed up trying to be delicate and just thought fk it, and it worked, no damage.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone used Novus, and then subsequently used Quixx with better results? I just tried to use Novus 2 on an inconspicuous area and all it did was create even more micro scratches which further pisses me off. These plastics should be coated with gorilla glass FFS. It's ridiculous to think a quick clean caused so many scratches on my gauge cluster.

Anyway, I might just go the route with the protection film and call it a day. It never even occurred to me that someone would manufacture a protection film for this stuff. At least that will actually hide the scratches and protect it further instead of me dealing with crappy scratch removers and gunking up my gauges.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Golf-7-PET-Car-Dashboard-Protector-Screen-Protective-Film-For-VW-Fit-MK7-2014/32291939735.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.65.l4goQ1

I have light swirls on my gauges which i covered up using using film from Aliexpress. Not a 100% but at least it'll prevent new scratches. I only bought one set because it was my first time ordering from there and I wish I bought more. It's a little tricky applying the film because of the tight space and curvature of the gauges so it's nice to have extras just in case.
How does it look with the film? Does it look 100% oem brand new and shiny? Or does it have an odd noticeable texture? How was it applying the film? Seems like it would be a huge PITA getting it on there without dust or air bubbles, considering how even a phone is a pain.

DCCSGMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone used Novus, and then subsequently used Quixx with better results? I just tried to use Novus 2 on an inconspicuous area and all it did was create even more micro scratches which further pisses me off. These plastics should be coated with gorilla glass FFS. It's ridiculous to think a quick clean caused so many scratches on my gauge cluster.

Anyway, I might just go the route with the protection film and call it a day. It never even occurred to me that someone would manufacture a protection film for this stuff. At least that will actually hide the scratches and protect it further instead of me dealing with crappy scratch removers and gunking up my gauges.

How does it look with the film? Does it look 100% oem brand new and shiny? Or does it have an odd noticeable texture? How was it applying the film? Seems like it would be a huge PITA getting it on there without dust or air bubbles, considering how even a phone is a pain.

I'm on my iPad so hopefully the images attached correctly. Don't mind the dust...it's been a while since I cleaned my car :D. I did a quick wipe down which pushed the dust down to the bottom edge of the film, so the edge looks more noticeable in the pics. I was pretty rough with the wiping too and no scratches appeared on the film as far as I can see. I don't notice the edges when driving, but I guess it depends how OCD you are.

Dust wasn't much of an issue during application as the kit comes with a light piece of tape to remove dust. Aligning without air bubbles was a bit of a PITA though. I had to pull the film back up a few times to realign or remove stubborn air bubbles. I'm not a pro at applying film since I never use it on my phones so YMMV.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 1,337
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,297
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,353

H15A

(sorry if this is double posted, please delete the other post)

I was able to try out a product (Quixx Acrylic Scratch Remover) on my lunch break today that another forum member suggested (sorry no shout out, can't find the OP).

The problem: I had two scratches. The first was a 4inch scratch on the gauge cluster that looked like a hair (thin, very visible). The second was a 1/8in scuff on the passenger side faux carbon door trim.

I am kicking myself for not taking "before" pics, but I was able to find a picture of the gauge cluster that you can *barely* see the scratch in:

So I followed the instructions on the back of the product for removing "light scratches". Both scratches were completely removed. No hazing or fading was left behind on either surface (I was worried about the door trim).

Hope this helps somebody!:D

I tried removing the scratches using Meguairs PlastX and it just put a bunch of small scratches in there to replace the scratches I was trying to remove. Im going to give Quixx a try.

Can you detail exactly what applicator pad and microfiber towel you used to clean it? It seems like no matter what softness, anything scratches it up again.

H15A

So I ordered the Quixx Acrylic Scratch Remover from ebay (the only way to get that bottle in the USA). I tried it out with the included cotton towel and it did nothing to correct the fine scratches. When the sun hits the cluster, its literally scratch mania. Looks hazy too. What are you guys doing different to get your results? Please share! Thanks!