GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro Headlights on US R: Looking for Help!

Hey All,

When my 2016 R was hit, both front headlights were smashed. I got a good deal on OEM replacements for a VW dealer in Spain. They are the same part number and the only apparent difference was the clear sidemarker instead of the amber stripe.

Unfortunately, things didn't work out so well. My body shop hooked them up and believed they were plug and play, but when I got out on the road, the active (turn with wheel) feature wasn't working, and I had no high beams.

But strangely, my car went into limp mode and, for about a day after, my high beams worked, but active lamps didin't. Then everything went back to not working.

Took the car back to the shop, they thought it would be a quick reprogram, it turns out the euro lights have a 10 pin connector and the factory lights have a 12 pin connector.

They switched the control modules from the old lamps to the new ones, and reprogammed the lights. Now the active feature works, but still no high beams.

And here is the weird thing. If you put the car on with just running lights, and hit the high beams to signal, the high beams come on. But with the low beams on, the high beams won't fire and you get an error.

Has anyone made this mod? Anything you had to do?

Any suggestions for my next move? Is this something a dealer could/would handle? I don't even know where to take this.

HEEEELLLP!

JIM

Last edited:

revgti

we can't help you if you don't read the replies on your previous threads. what is the part number of the headlight you bought

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the previous thread had posted. THought I had originally deleted it. I'll find it.