GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Rebuild Process

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
This thread is going to be AWESOME!! OP, the instructions aren't clear. Please elaborate on what you want everyone to google for you.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Maybe I should have clarified my question better. I was asking about what is included in a rebuild, not about doing it myself. I didn't even realize IE did rebuilds with a core swap until you mentioned it but after looking at their web page, I got my answer.

Kind of surprised by this board sometimes. Asking a legit question and getting a generic dumb response seems like something that'd happen on the FB group, not here. Least some topics are still productive like the ED thread.

Replacing the pistons, rings, and rods is the most common way to build the engine. Depending how much boost you are looking to run you also need to drop the compression of the engine and so on so forth. Requires lots of special tools to remove the head and install the pistons.

The thing about huge labor intensive jobs like this, is that if you have to ask, it's not something you should do (thus people make fun of you for asking).
Since you weren't planning on doing the work yourself, does it matter what is involved? Good topics are always productive. Shit topics or poorly asked questions are made fun of. That's how the internet works for better or worse.

pieguy

Ready to race!
The thing about huge labor intensive jobs like this, is that if you have to ask, it's not something you should do (thus people make fun of you for asking).
Since you weren't planning on doing the work yourself, does it matter what is involved? Good topics are always productive. Shit topics or poorly asked questions are made fun of. That's how the internet works for better or worse.

I think this point is what captured my surprise for asking this question. People assume everybody on this board is a car guy that understands the implications of rebuilding an MQB engine, even if it's not that clear, which is why I did a thread search and a sticky search before asking for clarifications. Next time I'll be crystal clear with a disclaimer before I ask open ended questions.

There's a ton of info on this board on most installs including turbos and suspension, so I assumed engines would be a straightforward topic, but I guess not.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I think this point is what captured my surprise for asking this question. People assume everybody on this board is a car guy that understands the implications of rebuilding an MQB engine, even if it's not that clear, which is why I did a thread search and a sticky search before asking for clarifications. Next time I'll be crystal clear with a disclaimer before I ask open ended questions.

There's a ton of info on this board on most installs including turbos and suspension, so I assumed engines would be a straightforward topic, but I guess not.

I think the main reason is only a handful of people have upgraded engine internals. So its kinda new territory for the forums and seems scary. In another few years, everyone and their grandma will have a built EA888 Gen. 3 BT and there will be a lot more information on it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Can somebody please highlight the steps needed to upgrade the stock engine and what whp/wtq is provided with each step? Also, possibly the cost and labor hours to do the upgrades? I see the most common upgrade is the IE rods/pistons, but is that all or are there more things required to get past that dreaded 420 wtq limit?

And as far as the DQ250, it's pretty much also limited to about 450wtq as well right?

Wow, tough audience. Your questions seem pretty straightforward.

Although this article describes various stages of build for a TSI or FSI motor it will be very close to your gen3 motor. It answers many of your questions related to the power levels you seek. This was one of the first articles I read before I had my MKV GTI motor built for the new turbo.

https://www.performancebyie.com/blog/integrated-engineering-2-0t-tsitfsi-short-block-build/

Read this first and then ask the new questions you will have.

Your DSG should be just fine. Get a custom tune with extra clamping force. I don't think any of the off the shelf tunes actually provide increased clamping force. If you track car, get a cooling system for the DSG.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Replacing the pistons, rings, and rods is the most common way to build the engine. Depending how much boost you are looking to run you also need to drop the compression of the engine and so on so forth. Requires lots of special tools to remove the head and install the pistons.

I would run E85 with mpi and bump the compression for better bottom end and earlier spool.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I guess let me start off by saying that most people on this forum are not making 420 wtq. Synod I see put them in the ballpark of 380-400 wtq on the better moddes cars.

Of course you could always do the internals whenever you want as a precaution, but u less you are going BT, I don't think the risk justifies the price.

Also if you don't have a TCU tune by now, better get one.

Internals are a relatively big job which is why at shops you pay out the butt for labor.

Before you need internals, you will need to address fueling IE at the minimum hpfp and maybe even lpfp before doing the internals.

billmesh

Passed Driver's Ed
It's your money and you can spend it however you would like. However, at the end of the day it is still a FWD car. You can make more power than is usable on the platform without opening the engine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It's your money and you can spend it however you would like. However, at the end of the day it is still a FWD car. You can make more power than is usable on the platform without opening the engine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Good point. Wait until he drives it on a wet road. Would have been better off buying an R unless driving only on dry roads running DR's.

I completely forgot about the need for added fueling. Installing port injection and the new ECM and pumps costs another what, $5K? I'd say you need to spend $15-$20K total for everything needed to make BIG power - that's not usable. And you don't just add this part or that part incrementally, you pick a power goal and stick to it. You're not going to keep opening the block unless you have 10's of thousands of discretionary funds to spend, and if you had them you'd just buy a GTR or Demon or Z06.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Good point. Wait until he drives it on a wet road. Would have been better off buying an R unless driving only on dry roads running DR's.

I completely forgot about the need for added fueling. Installing port injection and the new ECM and pumps costs another what, $5K? I'd say you need to spend $15-$20K total for everything needed to make BIG power - that's not usable. And you don't just add this part or that part incrementally, you pick a power goal and stick to it. You're not going to keep opening the block unless you have 10's of thousands of discretionary funds to spend, and if you had them you'd just buy a GTR or Demon or Z06.

Hi Fed, you are absolutely right about big power. I am just finishing up a project and I will have over 20K into it between building the motor, replacing all the bits and pieces, turbo, fueling and rebuilding the DSG adding LSD and custom tunes for engine and trans. You are also right that this is a project that is done all at once if you are going to do it which is why most people on the MK7 forum are not going to dump this kind of money into a low mileage car.

You are also partially right that big power can overwhelm a FWD car but that is where custom tuning and the LSD comes in. I am building my MKV GTI for road course use and canyon carving and have a 500whp goal but we will tune it so that peak power is reserved for certain upper gears so that power will take advantage of the straights where you can make some time up and we will reduce power in the lower gears (corners) where peak power will overwhelm the fwd.

Would AWD be nicer, yes. I am just doing this build because I have had this MKV for 10 yrs now and it has been good to me, sentimental. If I had been smart rather than sentimental I would have put the money into a MK7 R for sure. I just want an older GTI that looks stock but goes like a bat out of hell.

Nodnarb

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Fed, you are absolutely right about big power. I am just finishing up a project and I will have over 20K into it between building the motor, replacing all the bits and pieces, turbo, fueling and rebuilding the DSG adding LSD and custom tunes for engine and trans. You are also right that this is a project that is done all at once if you are going to do it which is why most people on the MK7 forum are not going to dump this kind of money into a low mileage car.

You are also partially right that big power can overwhelm a FWD car but that is where custom tuning and the LSD comes in. I am building my MKV GTI for road course use and canyon carving and have a 500whp goal but we will tune it so that peak power is reserved for certain upper gears so that power will take advantage of the straights where you can make some time up and we will reduce power in the lower gears (corners) where peak power will overwhelm the fwd.

Would AWD be nicer, yes. I am just doing this build because I have had this MKV for 10 yrs now and it has been good to me, sentimental. If I had been smart rather than sentimental I would have put the money into a MK7 R for sure. I just want an older GTI that looks stock but goes like a bat out of hell.

I’m researching clutch packs. Whose did you go with? I assume when you mention rebuilding the dsg you are talking clutch packs?

Navi

Autocross Champion

I hope by big power you mean LS swapped MK5 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
OP, like you, I don't have the capabilities or time to learn how to build an engine....but I've asked guys that do. Every one of them has told me if my GTI motor ever blows, buy a used one, have it thrown in, and decide the future of the car wisely based on priorities (get rid of for something else earlier than expected, keep with replacement engine + mods, or take mods off). Everyone....pretty much without exception.

My understanding is it costs a shit ton to build up these motors and, like others have mentioned, it isn't worth the cost on a FWD platform. Makes more sense on a golf R that already has a ton in it (turbo, fueling, etc) and you plan to keep for a long time to justify the cost.

Can imagine that a golf R with a built engine + upgrades would pretty much be a GTR.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I’m researching clutch packs. Whose did you go with? I assume when you mention rebuilding the dsg you are talking clutch packs?

I went with stock clutch pack, custom tune, all new seals, LSD and a full external DSG cooling system total cost to have it all done was over 5K. I wanted to go with Dodson clutch pack but they are 5K and i just won't pay that much for a clutch pack. It would have been a 10K+ dollar trans. For that kind of money I could have gone DQ500 DSG from the RS3 (7 speed).

A number of folks on the mkv forum have run around 500 on the DSG over very long periods of time with no issues. My theory is that protecting the DSG from overheating will add longevity to the clutch pack. We will see.