GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Died Today

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Looks like the voltage was low for a number of weeks but the car still started fine. Until today of course. It lasted 2-1/2 years from the build date. Less than that by about a month and a half since I owned the car. The replacement was the same size and I think rated slightly higher. One minute to change the battery, 45 minutes to test and reprogram. You even need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor.

The new battery is an AGM.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
Looks like the voltage was low for a number of weeks but the car still started fine. Until today of course. It lasted 2-1/2 years from the build date. Less than that by about a month and a half since I owned the car. The replacement was the same size and I think rated slightly higher. One minute to change the battery, 45 minutes to test and reprogram. You even need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor.

The new battery is an AGM.

My installer just replaced the car battery with the engine running and then I used OBD Eleven to change the battery capacity and type. No problems using that method.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
The Fed: Was this covered under the 5/60 warranty or did you pay out of pocket?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The Fed: Was this covered under the 5/60 warranty or did you pay out of pocket?

It's only covered under the 3/36 basic warranty. My car will be3 years old the end of March 2019. Mileage won't be an issue.

The new battery's decal shows 585 AH, 340 DIN. I think it's 40 more DIN which if it's directly proportional is another 69 AH.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Sorry for your loss!

RIP

Navi

Autocross Champion
Can someone teach me how to recaliberate the steering angle sensor with and without OBD11?

Not that my battery is bad, I'd like to have the knowledge. TIA

not sure if it's the same for the Golf R, but in previous cars of mine if you just drive and turn the steering wheel lock to lock, it recalibrates on it's own.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There was a recall. This happened to my battery about a month ago, and the service department replaced for free.

I wasn't advised of a recall for mine. I'll have to check the paperwork. My car is still within the basic warranty so it only matters to VWoA so they can track the cause of the failure.

MKV Arms

I wasn't advised of a recall for mine. I'll have to check the paperwork. My car is still within the basic warranty so it only matters to VWoA so they can track the cause of the failure.

Yeah, it may depend on the service department. They told me that the recall probably just hadn't shown up in my mail yet, but it was getting sent out. Not sure if basic covers the battery. I think the battery is only 2 years but I could be wrong.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yeah, it may depend on the service department. They told me that the recall probably just hadn't shown up in my mail yet, but it was getting sent out. Not sure if basic covers the battery. I think the battery is only 2 years but I could be wrong.

I believe I read 3 years. I do remember the MK6's were only 2.

lcubed

Ready to race!
my battery was replaced under the recall about 4 months ago. i did have to ask the service adviser on current campaigns and there it was.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m just waiting for mine to go, build date is late 2015 and I took delivery in December ‘15.

Tested it about a month ago and she’s still good so we’ll see lol