GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo back exhaust for the R

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I have the Exhaustive Exhaust clips bookmarked, unfortunately there isn’t much there on the Golf R. I’ve been on YouTube and I’ve searched Google. I’m looking at 4 turbo back exhaust systems for my R. These are them.

APR
AWE
CTS Turbo - least expensive
Neuspeed

I know APR has had some issues with their stuff being more then they claimed. I can’t remember if it was a materials used conflict or what it was. AWE seems to be a go too, don’t hear much about Neuspeed and CTS is the least expensive with their whole suite being as much as the AWE track edition cat back only system. I’m also aware that a cat back does nothing for power and any gains will be coming from the DP. I am not tuned...yet. Also, this is not my first rodeo as I’ve had a APR Stage II MKVI GTI with a Ultimate Racing DP and full APR intake. Was very happy with the sound.

I don’t want obnoxious and I’ve seen the thread on ‘the quietest down pipe’.

My question then is why is the CTS stuff so much less then everyone else’s stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
I went all Neuspeed and the drone was a migraine at certain RPM and ruined the car. I still have the Neuspeed downpipe and it has been good, but I replaced the exhaust with the BCS Powervalve system due to the no drone and boost activated valve system.

In hindsight, I think cast downpipea are quieter in the engine bay & cabin than a stainless steel one.

I don’t mind noise out the tailpipe, just hate how some of these systems make way too much cabin noise which interferes with music, conversation or gives you a headache.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2 & BCS Exhaust

Ub3rN3rd

I have the CTS Turboback, honestly it is one the best bang for the buck systems, I have a youtube video how it sounds outside. The reason for it being cheaper it is not valved controlled and the other is quality control it is not the best. What I mean is there some adjustments I had to do in order make alignment perfect to my standards. The reason I went with CTS is because of sound. It was one of the quietest exhaust I have heard without serious drone.

Mike/RAREHARE

Ready to race!
I have the CTS Turboback, honestly it is one the best bang for the buck systems, I have a youtube video how it sounds outside. The reason for it being cheaper it is not valved controlled and the other is quality control it is not the best. What I mean is there some adjustments I had to do in order make alignment perfect to my standards. The reason I went with CTS is because of sound. It was one of the quietest exhaust I have heard without serious drone.

Loved see some videos

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Before dropping some big bucks (or Loons, if Paradise is in Canada, as I've been wondering ever since our last election in the US), go listen to the systems for yourself. Virtually none of the audio recordings on the Internet, nor the playback of those recordings on your computer's/smartphone's speakers will accurately reflect what each system actually sounds like. HONEST.

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
I see Luchin has a 2018 Golf R, and I thought APR does not make a turbo back exhaust for the MK 7.5's? I may be wrong, but the APR rear exhaust only fits the MK7 Golf R's, as the exhaust tip spacing is different.

Good luck in your search, as I am in the same dilemma as you. I would like to hear a few exhausts before putting serious coin down.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
All of these catback threads have really made me notice just how much I really like the stock sound. It could be a bit louder, but I think it's tuned perfectly.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Before dropping some big bucks (or Loons, if Paradise is in Canada, as I've been wondering ever since our last election in the US), go listen to the systems for yourself. Virtually none of the audio recordings on the Internet, nor the playback of those recordings on your computer's/smartphone's speakers will accurately reflect what each system actually sounds like. HONEST.

I agree with your opinion of sound clips. The problem is finding someone with the system on their cars. Yes paradise is Canada, specifically, the West Coast.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I see Luchin has a 2018 Golf R, and I thought APR does not make a turbo back exhaust for the MK 7.5's? I may be wrong, but the APR rear exhaust only fits the MK7 Golf R's, as the exhaust tip spacing is different.

Good luck in your search, as I am in the same dilemma as you. I would like to hear a few exhausts before putting serious coin down.

Need to change that. I traded it in for a 2017 Golf R.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I did the APR catted downpipe and the AWE switch path with remote. I like the valves Closed on long rides on the highway. The difference between Open & Closed is very noticeable! With them Open, it's deep and throaty.

There's no obnoxious sound.

The sound is tame when cruising.

When in RACE mode or getting on it... it sounds mean & nasty.

I've been outside when my wife drives the car out and back. The sound is deep and throaty.
As she cruises by you can hear that there's something mean going on and the car does not sound stock.

Friends that own Audi/VW tuning shops have driven my car and have said I have the best combination they have heard so far.
They have had many come backs with the delete pipe as well as aftermarket exhausts being too loud and obnoxious.

Sorry , I can't produce a good sound clip with my old smart phone.

I have also turned off the Soundaktor.

Don't count on sound clips. Best to hear them in person. That way there is no doubt!

Last edited:

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I did the APR catted downpipe and the AWE switch path with remote. I like the valves Closed on long rides on the highway. The difference between Open & Closed is very noticeable! With them Open, it's deep and throaty.

There's no obnoxious sound.

The sound is tame when cruising.

When in RACE mode or getting on it... it sounds mean & nasty.

I've been outside when my wife drives the car out and back. The sound is deep and throaty.
As she cruises by you can hear that there's something mean going on and the car does not sound stock.

Friends that own Audi/VW tuning shops have driven my car and have said I have the best combination they have heard so far.
They have had many come backs with the delete pipe as well as aftermarket exhausts being too loud and obnoxious.

Sorry , I can't produce a good sound clip with my old smart phone.

I have also turned off the Soundaktor.

Don't count on sound clips. Best to hear them in person. That way there is no doubt!

Funny. I was thinking of running the same setup but with the track edition.