GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 hybrid vs IS38

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
What would everyone suggest, I have an IS20 in a box already, should I do a hybrid from GPOP, cost would be $725 and would give me new parts, or sell the IS20 for $200 and buy a used IS38 for around $800 and then send it to be balanced, for around $155

I would think the hybrid would spool slightly quicker than the IS38, not sure, and it would be new internals.

Only control would be JB4 for now, possible maestro in the future

Hoon

Autocross Champion
No IS20 hybrid experience, but don't waste your time/money balancing an IS38, if it's going to blow, it's going to blow.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Spool on the is38 is not that bad. The issue with the hybrid is the heat it generates. Top end will take a plunge because of this unless you run meth and/or ethanol.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Spool on the is38 is not that bad. The issue with the hybrid is the heat it generates. Top end will take a plunge because of this unless you run meth and/or ethanol.

I don't know much about turbos but based on this, I'm getting that an is20 hybrid produces more heat than an is38? Isn't the is20 hybrid mostly a bored out is20 with an is38 compressor wheel? I would imagine heat would be the same if not less? But again, I don't know much about this stuff.. Care to elaborate?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Honestly since it sounds like you are going down the route of power, just get the is38. Less of a headache to get big numbers out of it, but definitely make certain to either get a tcu tune or clutch to handle the power.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I'm surprised this didn't get more attention/discussion here.
https://www.turbolader24.de/VAG-EA888-Upgrade-Turbolader-LM440

Almost seems too good to be true.....fast spool of IS20 with 400HP.
What am I missing?
The price, the unit is 2,000 Euros which translates to about 2,200 USD. For roughly a thousand dollars less you can get a brand new IS38 from fcp (who will warranty the damn thing) which could deliver you roughly equivalent power.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

afman916

Ready to race!
Interested in this discussion as well...have been kicking around the idea of a hybrid IS20 for a while now. Picked up a blown one on the cheap last fall and it's been sitting in a box since. Originally was talking to Littco, then GPOP but was waiting to see how it worked out for Jay_Heim, and then the idea just kind of fell off...

But I'm back to kicking it around again and searching for any and all info. Will upgrade clutch and IC, and looking for 350whp and 400wtq (just targets really) with a quick spool. Thinking GPOP may be the route to go? Will eventually stack my JB4 with a protune, most likely Cobb, and meth.

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
Just pulled the trigger on a GPOP IS20...

I may the get the clipped wheel in addition to the full IS38 wheel but idk yet.

Just looking for good spool for my heavier Alltrack and better top end than the stock IS20.

Will be starting with the Uni 91 AKI tune and my JB4. If that does not pan out, then I will go to the Uni IS20 tune and the JB4.

Stay tuned...

(Hey just noticed that was a pun!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Just pulled the trigger on a GPOP IS20...

I may the get the clipped wheel in addition to the full IS38 wheel but idk yet.

Just looking for good spool for my heavier Alltrack and better top end than the stock IS20.

Will be starting with the Uni 91 AKI tune and my JB4. If that does not pan out, then I will go to the Uni IS20 tune and the JB4.

Stay tuned...

(Hey just noticed that was a pun!)

Shoot me a pm when you’re all done and installed. I’d like to get your feedback on this setup. I’ve been on the fence for several months with sending out a high mileage early revision is20 I have for their hybrid offering.

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
Will do! They said they rebuild and upgrade with latest revision parts so I’m looking forward to carrying boost through like 5800 rpm rather than it tapering above 4800 rpm.

afman916

Ready to race!
Shoot me a pm when you’re all done and installed. I’d like to get your feedback on this setup. I’ve been on the fence for several months with sending out a high mileage early revision is20 I have for their hybrid offering.

Yeah what he said, 100%. Picked up a blown IS20 on the cheap for this express purpose and haven't heard much on the GPOP offering aside from Jay_Heim's experience. Any more info would be stellar!

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
What about a tune?

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Instead of PM'ing, how about keep it on this thread for all of us that are interested. Especially since the couple of us interested in this are Alltracks.