GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud exhaust drone 1st 15 seconds after cold start?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Is this normal? 1.8TSI, if it matters. Didn't notice it much in the winter when the car was new but it's really noticeable with the windows open. After 15 seconds, it abruptly becomes quiet and normal sounding. I'm guessing it has to do with PZEV emissions but wanted to know if it's normal for it to be that loud for 15 seconds.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Totally normal. It's mainly due to the SAI (secondary air injection) system working. It pumps air into the exhaust to help warm up the cat faster on cold starts to help reduce emissions.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Is this normal? 1.8TSI, if it matters. Didn't notice it much in the winter when the car was new but it's really noticeable with the windows open. After 15 seconds, it abruptly becomes quiet and normal sounding. I'm guessing it has to do with PZEV emissions but wanted to know if it's normal for it to be that loud for 15 seconds.

Try it with a Clubsport S Muffler!

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Try cold starting a E90 335i in a small alley with the windows down. The drone actually hurts your ears. I like it.

Res delete on my GTI def makes it more noticeable, sounds great.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Is that the only cause? It does it during the enrichment cycle so it could partly be due to running rich. Plus the idle is higher which makes the tone lower.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I love a good cold start. Wish it sounded like that all the time.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Normal for the 1.8.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Totally normal, although I never knew why until today. Thanks guys for explaining

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Aftermarket exhaust/downpipe makes it super loud. I feel bad for my neighbors because i get up for work early.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
Aftermarket exhaust/downpipe makes it super loud. I feel bad for my neighbors because i get up for work early.

Lol don't feel bad until you own a STI and constantly leave and come back past midnight

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Lol don't feel bad until you own a STI and constantly leave and come back past midnight
I used to have an SV1000S, V-twin Suzuki sport bike. I was working 2nd shift at the time and would kill it as I turned into the parking lot when I got home at night. Sounded amazing but I couldn't do that to the neighbors.