GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Writing a check soon. 225/40/18 or 235/40/18?

Patagonian

Passed Driver's Ed
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37494

Never been to Costco, but most places look in their database and will deny anything non OEM. Discount Tire did. Tire Rack did. Like anything else, if you show confidence, explain your reasoning (proven not to rub or cause issues) and assume a yes answer, they'll do it.

Yes did all that and they still refused, they even agreed with my arguments but said it was company policy.

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
We have found ways around that issue at my local costco.

Just take the wheels and tires in with no vehicle. No issues. Buddy just did it with his M3, and another friend this spring with his Regal GS to get them ready for race season.

Our Discount Tire also has no real qualms about it either though. So must be a company policy, but is only really upheld in certain places, or at discretion of management.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Just having moved from the PSS in 235/40 to the PS4S in 245/40 on an 8"5” wheel... its a big diff.

It feels like it has about 20-30% more grip, of course some of that could be that the PSS’s were worn.

If you can swing the PS4S, do it.

E-rok

Passed Driver's Ed
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37494

Never been to Costco, but most places look in their database and will deny anything non OEM. Discount Tire did. Tire Rack did. Like anything else, if you show confidence, explain your reasoning (proven not to rub or cause issues) and assume a yes answer, they'll do it.
Thats BS, I have had discount tire mount several size tires on all kinds of rigs that werent oem. These were jeeps and trucks but those guys arent going to be like "oh I cant install that size on your little car!"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
We have found ways around that issue at my local costco.

Just take the wheels and tires in with no vehicle. No issues. Buddy just did it with his M3, and another friend this spring with his Regal GS to get them ready for race season.

Our Discount Tire also has no real qualms about it either though. So must be a company policy, but is only really upheld in certain places, or at discretion of management.
Yeah I had a friend of mine turned away at our local Costco when he tried to get Indy 500's on his c5 allroad with aftermarket wheels. Took it to another (more expensive) shop who did the mounting no questions asked.

We basically resolved to just bring the wheels without the car if we ever go back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Thats BS, I have had discount tire mount several size tires on all kinds of rigs that werent oem. These were jeeps and trucks but those guys arent going to be like "oh I cant install that size on your little car!"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Calling bs means something is completely out of the realm of possibility. Love how people can't understand how something can happen if it hasn't happened to them. OP just posted how he was refused. I can confirm that they will deny or at least question it.

Is that so outrageous that it merits calling BS.
As a matter of fact, here you go.

Attachments

• img20180729_113652.jpg
    img20180729_113652.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 720

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
I have 235 on OEM Austin MK7, using all sport 3+ . It fits super snug, but tire rack and Firestone both gave me no issues. Also tire rack has in database that 235 CAN be used. Tire rack knows thier stuff.

Also I live in the city the sidewalls help protect my rim

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Raph540

Car(s)
MK 7 Golf R.
Just having moved from the PSS in 235/40 to the PS4S in 245/40 on an 8"5” wheel... its a big diff.

It feels like it has about 20-30% more grip, of course some of that could be that the PSS’s were worn.

If you can swing the PS4S, do it.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Writing a check?

The OP must be as old as Jim. ;)