GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comfort and lowering

svj

Hi

I’ve got a wonderful 2014 gti with dcc and love the versatility of this car. We have been doing a lot of driving this summer on holidays and I have to admit am not quite happy with the suspension setting that I have ended up with after many hours of reading up on other people’s experiences for lowering springs.
I started out really liking the comfort on the standard springs and the settings the dcc gives, but as many others I wanted the car a bit lowered. So I bought a pair of Eibach pro kit springs and had them installed for a few months, but I felt like the differences in the dcc modes were almost gone and the ride much more harsh (more than I liked). So I ended up buying a pair of VWR springs instead and for me these have the perfect height and a bit better comfort than the Eibach - it’s just still nowhere near the combo of comfort level and sportyness of the original setup. The dcc options are better, but not perfect. The sport setting just fells way to harsh now and I only really use normal and comfort.
Now I’ve been running with the vwr for about 8 months and am thinking about going back to the original again to gain the better comfort options. Am just a little sad to see the car riding that much higher again.
Do I have other options here? Am prepared for some more expensive options, if that would give me the ride comfort of the original (am aware it will never be the same with less spring height, but maybe a better setup could handle all the small bumps like the original are even better)
Any suggestions?

svj

Maybe adding something like bilstein B8, if that compatible with the dcc somehow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SRoads

Ready to race!
MSS kits...

but you have probably shorten the life of your stock shocks. Since you are doing the labor for the 3rd/4th time... I would replace the shocks (look for a low mileage take off set from a gti or R with DCC the shocks are the same part number). IF and only if you are planning on keeping the car longer than 1 more year. If you have any though of getting rid of it, I would leave it alone. You've gotten into the standard engineering triangle problem. I want it low, comfortable, cheap, and to handle well...

As far as stock suspensions go...It is really hard to beat a the Mk7s stock setup with DCC. They have done really well from the factory.

larbel

Did you recalibrate DCC after lowering? Eibach Pro kit is usually only like 10-15% stiffer and should be fine after recalibrating DCC with the new ride height.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
How long did you run the Eibach’s?
After a week they softened up.
Not sure why Springs would do this but on day 6 there was a noticeable softening of the Eibach Pro Kit springs. They are tighter that OE but one is sitting 1 inch lower.
The low profile tire are the cause of stiff ride in my car.
235/40R18 are better. 17” would be nice.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Working DCC, lower ride height, ride comfort. <---Pick 2. You cannot have all 3. There has to be a concession made.

If you are willing to spend the ~$2k+ on the Bilstein B16 Damptronic or ~$3.5k on the KW DDC coils you may get close to what you want. My hunch would be though that even in comfort mode on this kits, you are still not close to the comfort mode you currently have since these are still performance minded suspension setups.