GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bridge RE71R's for day to day and track?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking of switching from PS4's to Bridgestone RE71R's or maybe Cup 2's during track season. We do a lot of day to day driving and long road trips, so excessive noise is a factor. The PS4's are rolling severely and I'm not happy with wear.

I'm pretty much sold on the wear and grip of the RE71R, but I'm concerned about it potentially being a noisy tire. Anyone using them for day to day driving? I've driven cars with Cup 2's and noise level is fine. Just pricey vs RE71R.

Thanks.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I think it depends :)

re71r: they are loud. yes they are.

I switch out of them as, in combination with everything else: camber plates and firmer lca bushings, they're a little harsh for my taste, even in 15" diameter....and I rotate them between events so why not take a few extra minutes to just swap them between events?

SRoads

Ready to race!
Let me know when you find the zero compromise tire...;)

Have you found any more cases of the PS4s tires wearing like yours? Have you contacted Michelin? I have seen one other instance on m3post back in 2011, where a set of PSSs looked the same as what you posted on the other thread. Have you found anymore?

The PS4s are probably just a little to road focused for what you are asking of them. PSSs are your best choice if you want to stick with Michelin.

I had the RE-11s as my last track day tire...they were a little noisy, bearable to me...no issues with the thread delamination(at 1.8 deg front camber on my mk6), no experience with the 71Rs; sorry

Is it just one tire, do you routinely take curbs on the track? Usually tire wear of the sort your are seeing is due being under-cambered or over driven or you just got a bad tire. Hopefully your camber plates will fix your issue.

If you are concerned about NVH of a tire...a set of camber plates will more than likely add more than a set of UHP summer tires will. You're getting into the area of getting two sets of wheels and swapping them for track days...which then leads to the slippery slope of brake pads, and so on. Then you just make your miata the track car, and the R a daily...in your quest to win HPDE :D

Any more insight from your thread on vortex?

Last edited:

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Let me know when you find the zero compromise tire...;)

You're right. I know, I know, I know ;>) Just trying to limit the downsides.

Have you found any more cases of the PS4s tires wearing like yours? Have you contacted Michelin? I have seen one other instance on m3post back in 2011, where a set of PSSs looked the same as what you posted on the other thread. Have you found anymore?

Yes. A few. And I have contacted both Michelin and TireRack. No response yet.

The PS4s are probably just a little to road focused for what you are asking of them. PSSs are your best choice if you want to stick with Michelin.

If I don't go to the Bridgestones, I will revert back to the PSS. Never had a problem like this with the PSS. The PS4's were supposedly the "direct" replacement for PSS with better wet weather traction. Wet weather is terrific, but wear is notiecably less.

I had the RE-11s as my last track day tire...they were a little noisy, bearable to me...no issues with the thread delamination(at 1.8 deg front camber on my mk6), no experience with the 71Rs; sorry

Is it just one tire, do you routinely take curbs on the track? Usually tire wear of the sort your are seeing is due being under-cambered or over driven or you just got a bad tire. Hopefully your camber plates will fix your issue.
Yes, driver front only, which is the workhorse at Summit Main, and I do take curbs. Under camber is an issue. What was really odd though was the treadwear was great (fairly even) across the tire. Just posted video of a few laps.

If you are concerned about NVH of a tire...a set of camber plates with more than likely ad more than a set of UHP summer tires will. Your getting into the area of getting two sets of wheels and swapping them for track days...which then leads to the slippery slope of brake pads, and so on. Then you just make your miata the track car, and the R a daily...in your quest to win HPDE :D

Not sure about camber plates vs. tire whine. Driven in both, and I can definitely live with camber plate clunks more than crazy noisy tires. Living in condo so no place to swap tires and limited parking spaces...which can be a good thing. Miata is now gone. ;>(

Any more insight from your thread on vortex?

Similar. A couple with same issues on PS4's.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I have RE71R's 245/40/18 on my GTI and they are loud. I have 2.2 degrees of camber and the wear seems even. Great tire in the dry and even decent in the wet but not fun with standing water.
I think the camber makes them a little louder because it's rolling directly on the edge ..... but I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I'm thinking of switching from PS4's to Bridgestone RE71R's or maybe Cup 2's during track season. We do a lot of day to day driving and long road trips, so excessive noise is a factor. The PS4's are rolling severely and I'm not happy with wear.

I'm pretty much sold on the wear and grip of the RE71R, but I'm concerned about it potentially being a noisy tire. Anyone using them for day to day driving? I've driven cars with Cup 2's and noise level is fine. Just pricey vs RE71R.

Thanks.

I run two sets of wheels/tires. Way better. You don't trash and disfigure your street tires by pushing them beyond their intended use for extended periods when you take them to the track.

And you can run full race slicks on your other set and enjoy your time on the track MUCH more because of the increased grip and much sharper turn in along with being able to brake later coming in to corners etc.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I run two sets of wheels/tires. Way better. You don't trash and disfigure your street tires by pushing them beyond their intended use for extended periods when you take them to the track.

And you can run full race slicks on your other set and enjoy your time on the track MUCH more because of the increased grip and much sharper turn in along with being able to brake later coming in to corners etc.

Of course that is an option for some, but I don't have storage for another set of wheels (condo). Also, I often travel very long distances to track events and could not handle heavy rain along the way with track rubber.

I probably should have explained that earlier. A compromise tire is my only option and the reason for my post.

Swoope

Ready to race!
Of course that is an option for some, but I don't have storage for another set of wheels (condo). Also, I often travel very long distances to track events and could not handle heavy rain along the way with track rubber.

I probably should have explained that earlier. A compromise tire is my only option and the reason for my post.

been researching this a lot.

right now the kook r4s is the best answer. lasts and is not loud, not quite as fast as the 71s. but doesnt mater if you are not at the 98% bracket.

:)

beers

teemmy

Ready to race!
been researching this a lot.

right now the kook r4s is the best answer. lasts and is not loud, not quite as fast as the 71s. but doesnt mater if you are not at the 98% bracket.

:)

beers

I've heard great things about the hankook rs4s as well! My buddy says his re71 wear out really fast and are quite noisy

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
RE71R is a terrible road tire. Full stop.

Harsh ride and once used(ok when brand new) they are loud AF with a very very noticeable humming that changes tone with speed. Not recommended..

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Tire noise has more to do with tread design, performance tires with fat tread blocks tend to be way worse. Rival tread design is surprisingly ok, but you'll just die wen it rains....:D

Swoope

Ready to race!
I have the hankook rs3 and above 60mph they were unbearable. I think it's the same compound as the RS4

just picked up a set of those in 18in on closeout at tire rack. have been running the falken azenis 615s the older ones.

have been extremely happy with them. not loud at all, and you can rotate them to whatever corner you want. am likely to replace them with the new version on my 17in wheels.

i really think if you are dd a car that you are using on track, and you are at the intermediate level you should just invest in a set of 200tw tires for track days. i do them in 17in wheels just because the tires are so much more affordable. and yes some 17in wheels will fit over the brakes on the PP/R cars.

also you need some type of front camber adjustment or you will destroy anything you put on.

beers