GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this a good deal, need advice

jevenator

Hello, I posted a WTB post in the classifieds and have been looking around myself.

I came across a gti that's near me that has some aesthetic mods and is asking for what seems like a good price.

It's a 2016 SE with the lighting package and 24.5k miles on it.

"2016 Volkswagen GTI SE
6spd Manual
24500 miles
Factory Warranty + additional 5 years 60k mile warranty which also includes replacement headlight bulbs, brake pads and key fobs.

Bi-Xenon headlights
Leather
Push Button Start
Apple CarPlay

Mods:
H&R Coilovers
1552 Tarmac wheels (18x8.5 +45)
Magnaflow Muffler/Exhaust Tips
Boomba Shift Knob
LED License Plate Lights

Will include all stock parts"

He's asking for 21k with mods and 20k w/o mods but I always assumed that mods don't really take into account for the price.

I'd personally want to pay 18.5-19k for the car with everything on it. But is that considered a low ball offer? It is tornado red which isnt my first choice of color but I think its growing on me.

http://imgur.com/ZVHnczb

adam1991

Banned
Ignore the "additional 5 years 60k mile warranty" crapola. It may or may not transfer, but at any rate, it's worth less than the electrons required to spell it out on the screen here.

There's no harm in offering him 19k. I'd be sad if he took it, because that would tell me what my 2017 Autobahn is really worth (not nearly as much as I'd like), but still.

jevenator

Ignore the "additional 5 years 60k mile warranty" crapola. It may or may not transfer, but at any rate, it's worth less than the electrons required to spell it out on the screen here.

There's no harm in offering him 19k. I'd be sad if he took it, because that would tell me what my 2017 Autobahn is really worth (not nearly as much as I'd like), but still.

When I was at the dealership they said their extended warranty transfers over. I I will offer 19k. I'll be taking a look at the car this weekend. Is it still worth to do a pre purchase inspection on fairly new cars like these?

cb1111

Mods will generally reduce the value of a car and I'd be asking these questions:

Who did the mods?
Why are you selling?
What is that noise going over bumps?
Are you sure you installed the coilovers correctly?
Can I get my mechanic to look at it?
How does $17k sound?

adam1991

Banned
Mods will generally reduce the value of a car and I'd be asking these questions:

Who did the mods?
Why are you selling?
What is that noise going over bumps?
Are you sure you installed the coilovers correctly?
Can I get my mechanic to look at it?
How does $17k sound?

Have you flashed the ECU or TCU?

(if so, run.)

jevenator

Instead of starting another thread, just wanted to get some second opinions. I checked out another GTI, grey 6-speed manual and SE edition with the LP. It's bone stock otherwise. He said lowest he'll go is 18.5k because that's what he owes. He has 41k miles on it and everything looks good. He said that he'd be willing to drive out himself to get a PPI for it if I pay for it. He took care of the oil changes himself changing every 6-8k miles. He just recently put a new set of Pirelli tires on it as well. Less than 500miles.

FreeBullets

Car(s)
2018 GTI stage 1
Instead of starting another thread, just wanted to get some second opinions. I checked out another GTI, grey 6-speed manual and SE edition with the LP. It's bone stock otherwise. He said lowest he'll go is 18.5k because that's what he owes. He has 41k miles on it and everything looks good. He said that he'd be willing to drive out himself to get a PPI for it if I pay for it. He took care of the oil changes himself changing every 6-8k miles. He just recently put a new set of Pirelli tires on it as well. Less than 500miles.

What year? And what he owes on it has nothing to do with what it's worth.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Look up KBB value and offer from there.

Mods don’t add value and what he owes means nothing. The deal has to make sense to you the buyer.

Also maintenance items like new tires don’t add any value either. They’d only be a factor for negotiations taking money off if they needed replaced. If that’s the first set of tires he’s put on the car it must be some kinda record though 40,000 miles is 10k more than a the average life span on tires on these cars, so either he drives like a grandpa or wore them till cord was showing (or both)

jevenator

He said his commute was a 60 miles round trip on the highway every day and that's it. He moved and now he lives 4 miles away and has another car to drive. His average MPG on the screen was exactly what VW says it is, 28mpg. Seems like he babied it fairly well. Only warranty work that's he's had done is that they replaced the headlight and reprogrammed the sunroof because it wouldn't close properly.

KBB average for very good is 18,700 in my area so I think 18,5k is fair.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
He said his commute was a 60 miles round trip on the highway every day and that's it. He moved and now he lives 4 miles away and has another car to drive. His average MPG on the screen was exactly what VW says it is, 28mpg. Seems like he babied it fairly well. Only warranty work that's he's had done is that they replaced the headlight and reprogrammed the sunroof because it wouldn't close properly.

KBB average for very good is 18,700 in my area so I think 18,5k is fair.

Sounds like a good buy then, provided it’s in good shape and has never been tuned (if you care about the warranty)

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I'd honestly buy the non tuned car with double the miles... sounds like a good deal and if you then do your own tuning and something goes wrong, you can't beat yourself up by saying "why did I buy a modded car"