GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another MK7 GTi blown engine post..

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
So sorry OP, that is very scary. I am on stage II as well, I've been trying to do oil changes every 5k miles to limit wear and tear... but that is about it. I hope to have better luck.

If the OP had returned the car back to stock with no tune and DP\intake, would VW have honored the warranty then?

Thanks

emanon

Ready to race!
So sorry OP, that is very scary. I am on stage II as well, I've been trying to do oil changes every 5k miles to limit wear and tear... but that is about it. I hope to have better luck.

If the OP had returned the car back to stock with no tune and DP\intake, would VW have honored the warranty then?

Thanks
Once you tune it, even if you flash it back to stock, it's as obvious to VW as painting the car to look like a bumble bee. The data recording on the pcm is too advanced in areas you just cant trick. Even if the flash counter is reset, fuel trim and injector pulse widths tell them all they need to know.

As soon as they see max fuel flow is way over stock, your warranty is done.

I think a lot of people wildly underestimate just how advanced the computer power is in these cars.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Once you tune it, even if you flash it back to stock, it's as obvious to VW as painting the car to look like a bumble bee. The data recording on the pcm is too advanced in areas you just cant trick. Even if the flash counter is reset, fuel trim and injector pulse widths tell them all they need to know.

As soon as they see max fuel flow is way over stock, your warranty is done.

I think a lot of people wildly underestimate just how advanced the computer power is in these cars.

I am assuming it cant detect the jb4, because it piggybacks the changes?

emanon

Ready to race!
I am assuming it cant detect the jb4, because it piggybacks the changes?
If they look hard enough you bet they can tell something was fucked with. I'm not positive it's come up publicly (not sure jb4 users have popped motors yet), but if it's a big $$ failure and they dump the pcm data directly to VW, they will see it.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
If they look hard enough you bet they can tell something was fucked with. I'm not positive it's come up publicly (not sure jb4 users have popped motors yet), but if it's a big $$ failure and they dump the pcm data directly to VW, they will see it.

No they wont.. .stop talking out of your ass.

If you understand how the JB4 works, the PCM doesnt record parameters changed. There is a reason the JB4 is labeled "Undetectable".

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yup, we are talking some serious money if things go bad. I like playing it safe, plus I'm pretty happy with stock power.

I'm with you.
A big part of the reason I brought new was the warranty.
I would never risk my powertrain warranty of all things.

Juggar

Ready to race!
If it was detectable we would have heard by now. Isn't this platform about 4 years old now? JB1/4 is at least 3?

Its very likely an ECM programmer at VW could discern that a piggyback was used but I doubt its worth their time.

Tunes are easy to detect by the scan tool and thats what the majority of people use anyway so im guessing the piggybacks just fly under the radar.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Its very likely an ECM programmer at VW could discern that a piggyback was used but I doubt its worth their time.

Tunes are easy to detect by the scan tool and thats what the majority of people use anyway so im guessing the piggybacks just fly under the radar.

I guarantee you a motor popping under warranty is worth their time. As a matter of fact, I'm absolutely certain the ECU gets put under a fine toothed comb for any motor warranty replacement. The number of denials due to JB4 are still zero to my knowledge. There are plenty of people on here who REALLY hate the JB4. Had they heard they'd be on here blasting it from the rooftops.