GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air Conditioning Half Works

emanon

Ready to race!
What was your build date?
4/17. Mine has all the 2017 coding quirks. Hot country is there, in the AC menu, iirc it's under byte12 in long coding, select 10 at the top, and check hot country. I can screen shot it in a bit if needed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

emanon

Ready to race!
Stickman, this is how you get to it, under section for AC control.

emanon

Ready to race!
Hot Country setting has nothing to do with the issue at hand - refrigerant is low. I'll eat my airedale if that's not the problem.
I dont disagree, his issue is something else. But the hot country setting will help once its resolved, and help other people dial in their 17s.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I just wanted to update this in case anyone finds it later. I took it into the dealer for 40k service and had them look at the AC. It was 150 grams (out of 500) low on refrigerant. They said they checked for leaks and couldn't find any, and also injected dye. So, if it does go down again they should see a leak easier.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
4/17. Mine has all the 2017 coding quirks. Hot country is there, in the AC menu, iirc it's under byte12 in long coding, select 10 at the top, and check hot country. I can screen shot it in a bit if needed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

^^^ this. My build date is 5/17. Have same coding.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This is one of the reasons I purchased the extended warranty from Fidelity. If you have a leaking compressor shaft seal you'll get a new compressor and probably receiver/dryer. That's got to be as much as I paid for the warranty. Every VW I've owned had A/C problems at about 4 years, along with cooling fans and door latches.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Edit: I should read the entire thread to the end!! LOL

Glad the Op got it sorted out. But it's a weird one if it's not leaking.

gebaracuda

Car(s)
GTI mk7
Okay so I gathered some more information. Sent my borescope into the middle vents and took a look at any moving parts I could see. Here are the two temperature control flaps for the driver and passenger sides. To my eyes they both seem to be operating normally. These videos were taken while the OBDEleven app was running a actuate driver and passenger side temperature control flaps test.

Driver:
Passenger:

Additionally I grabbed some temps along with compressor load and pressure from OBDEleven. Outside temps were about 85F (29C) with no sun, so it actually did cool the cabin quiet easily during these tests and get to a point where the blower was on low, but the passenger side was always slightly warmer.

This is after running the AC for a few minutes at a synced temp of 70F (about 21C)

This is after running Max AC for a couple minutes (temps seemed to go up?)

This is after leaving the system completely off (blower and AC) for about 2 minutes.

And finally, this is after running the AC for about 15 minutes at a snyced 68F (20C).

I'm honestly not sure what to make of all this. The actuators do seem to be working normally, but the temps show that the driver side (left) is consistently cooler than the passenger (right). Is there a separate zone in the compressor for each side or something like that? Why would the temps get hotter when using max AC? In any case, hopefully the data can at least help someone looking in the future and possibly when I take it to the dealer to save them diagnostic time.

Hi there,
I am facing the same issue on my mk7.. driver side cooler than passenger side. I am curious to know how the issue was solved.. In case you still remember given that 2 yrs have passed :) Was it a matter of sensor gone wrong or low refrigerant?
Thx

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Hi there,
I am facing the same issue on my mk7.. driver side cooler than passenger side. I am curious to know how the issue was solved.. In case you still remember given that 2 yrs have passed :) Was it a matter of sensor gone wrong or low refrigerant?
Thx
Weird. I woke up to the same. Driver side cool, passenger side hot.

I have manual single zone climate control too?!

gebaracuda

Car(s)
GTI mk7
I am reading that it might be a low refrigerant. Dealer having a promotion next week.. they will refill gas and change filter. So waiting for this week to pass. Closed the passenger side vents so it merges with the driver side and cool a little more. Have you done any engine work on your car lately?