GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI performance and reliability in heat (AZ)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I live in yuma Arizona where friday got to 118, my car does fine here, you need a good ic and water/meth does wonders here The heat.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

x2 water meth works wonders, very little power loss in hot weather. It was 115 here this week. I ran my car at the track in 100 degree heat with almost no power loss and only slightly elevated engine temps all day long. Water meth works very well in places like SoCal or AZ.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I'm going to test the car tomorrow and log, I just added a second meth nozzle, (cm5) at the ic and a (cm7) at the throttle pipe, it's stupid hot here and and humid right now so I'm going to see how much of a difference the second nozzle will make
x2 water meth works wonders, very little power loss in hot weather. It was 115 here this week. I ran my car at the track in 100 degree heat with almost no power loss and only slightly elevated engine temps all day long. Water meth works very well in places like SoCal or AZ.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

jackalope

Ready to race!
I definitely wouldn't get the sunroof... and get a white GTI. My black Alltrack with panoramic roof gets very very very very hot in Texas. I have to make sure to crack the windows during the day

Haboob

Passed Driver's Ed
I ran an SRT-4 in the Phoenix heat for 10 years and never had an issue with the engine (or turbo) bar the one time the thermostat went bad (never overheated, I caught it and babied it to work, and back home after stopping at AutoZone).

I am now in a 2018 GTI and it's only been 8 days, but I don't anticipate Arizona-heat related issues with it. I always watch the temps regardless, but there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
I find the air conditioning to be inadequate. My wife has a Mazda and it's AC is considerably better.

In the heat of Arizona, I'd get a white or silver car with a light colored interior and tint the windows. Always keep a sun shade in the windshield when parked. And get a naturally aspirated car. I'd do a Mustang or something.

In colorado, at mile high elevation, my GTI kicks serious butt. I can keep up with Mustangs here, but at sea level, a Mustang would smoke a GTI

Good info. And I was in Maricopa for a week with my GTi and it was in the mid 100's, I never felt that my A/C wasn't cold enough or lacking of power. Should be ok in the long run, plus, they have longer warranty's now so you'd be covered.

Nice, I don't see folks with too many 'Sport' trims in the Denver area too.

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
Overall i think the GTI does pretty well in hot weather. 2 years plus in hot sticky Florida for me and I still love it!

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
I know Arizona can get brutally hot, but I'm in so cal so its hot but not THAT hot. This week has been low 100's and my car still runs great, in fact the a/c has been on the whole time too and runs flawless. I have a stock Sport with the DSG. Granted its a daily driver and I'm not racing from stoplight to stoplight every time I drive it, so when I do end up going quick it does its thing. All depends on how you want to use the car. I really wanted to like the Camaro but sat in it and hated it, especially the gauges and visibility. No regrets absolutely love my car even if it is slower.

Do you Experience much creaking from plastic on centre console and around the gear shift area ? When I brake or sharp accelerate I tend to get some creaking presumably from plastics expanding and contracting with heat ?

Appreciate your response my friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
i was recently in a brand new Charger 5.7L Yes it was fun having that engine roar at every WOT, but no fun on the wallet. I was glad to get back in the Gti. Speed, build quality, running costs and fun factor if you're on an MT all being much higher ! That 8spd auto on the Charger was putting me to sleep after an hour or two.

AceRimmer

I wish I was in this predicament. If I didn't live in a mountainous, snowy climate I'd gladly get a V8 muscle car again. I miss the sound, speed, handling (yes, the new ones handle excellent), looks. Though not the gas mileage, but it's not as egregious as made out. Hell, insurance was cheaper on my Boss 302 than this little car- by $5/month, but still.
My GTI was just fine when I lived in Dallas, never noticed issues. But I can say I've tracked both a Focus ST and 2 different V8 Mustangs in 100 degree heat. The only one that had problems was the turbo'd ST, FWIW.

Either way, they're both awesome cars, but if I didn't have to worry about snowy, hill country 3-4 months of the year, I'd find myself with a 4th V8.

emanon

Ready to race!
Get the factory blocker plate for the intake, keeps it from sucking engine bay heat. Makes more of a difference in the super hot summer months than any other time.

I am in palm desert for work regularly and the gti does great in 115+. Another big help is high quality ceramic tint and the VW foil windshield shade. A/C won't freeze you out in any condition like my duramax will, but it's definitely enough to keep things nice and cool even in stopped traffic on the hottest days.

Short answer, you're overthinking this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Stickman

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know who at the factory decides how the AC is supposed to be set but in my case it only blew lukewarm air. A dealer may or may not be helpful. You can change the AC runtime with OBD11 to get colder air but the catch is you have to re-initialize the system otherwise it won't start. I don't remember the sequence off hand but it's pretty simple and only involves pressing a couple buttons simultaneously on the HVAC controls.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
This is much ado about nothing, it will run fine in AZ. Also keep in mind that it’s only nasty hot here three or four months out of the year. The other 8 months it’s absolutely gorgeous. It’s not like it’s 110+ here year round.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Check my Sig but I am in Tucson and drive my car hard at least once a day hard. It take its just fine, I am a stickler about oil if that means anything.

The highest oil temp I have seen is 232F which from what I Have read is just fine. Even with one of he best intercoolers out there it still is definitely effected by the heat. Water/meth should do it.

The only weird thing I get is my DSG in D shifts at like 3-3200 rpm when its 105 or warmer out.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
I used to live on VW’s road test route when I lived in Gilbert. Occasionally you’d see some interesting stuff that we don’t get here, like the pick-up trucks. VW isn’t the only one that has a testing facility. Nissan, Ford, and several others have facilities on the outskirts of the valley.