GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grinding/Crunch while accelerating

Frodfrodfrod

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and love reading different topics and everyone helping/giving advice to everyone else so maybe some of you can help me with the problem I am having.

I have a 2017 GTI SE 6MT and I just had a Rev9 DP installed and went OTS Stage 2 with my Cobb AP about 3 weeks ago.

I'd say last week or so I noticed that after coming to a stop and accelerating and turning right that when releasing the clutch I'd get a crunch/grind noise that I could also feel in my foot. It was only when accelerating in first gear while turning, every shift/turn after that was smooth like butter.

After searching a bit on the topic I saw some forum posts from people with the same issue and I mostly saw that it could be the DIFF especially since it is when I am turning . That or I also saw some posts saying wheel bearing issues..etc. I started searching around more on crunching/grinding while turning but can't seem to find anybody with the same problem.

So over this past weekend I noticed now that If I am accelerating in a straight line, if i have to hold my clutch anywhere in the middle to ease into the acceleration, I get the same grinding/crunch noise and feel. It wont really happen if the acceleration is an easy one like a downhill for example. But it is almost always guaranteed when on a hill or where more torque is needed to stop the car from rolling back.

I believe the easy answer is to probably get a new clutch/flywheel but if anybody has any suggestions or tests so I can dig a little deeper on the problem I'd truly appreciate it!

Hanollo

hey! Did you ever find a solution or cause for this? I just installed my DP as well in my 6MT. This happens to me anytime I'm accelerating from a stop except when on a downhill.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Look up from under the car at where the two hangers mount to the subframe. The hangers, or at least one of them, are contacting the subframe when the drivetrain shifts on uphill starts.

Adjust the downpipe or pull it off and grind the end of the hanger(s) that are too long.