GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Had my windshield replaced...

emanon

Ready to race!
Well I had a small chip turn into a crack running through 75% of the windshield. I'm sure it being 115F f-king degrees for the last few days didn't help.

Anyone recommend a dealer for the SG glass in SoCal (Inland area)?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Well I had a small chip turn into a crack running through 75% of the windshield. I'm sure it being 115F f-king degrees for the last few days didn't help.

Anyone recommend a dealer for the SG glass in SoCal (Inland area)?

I just sent out messages through yelp telling them the year and car I had and that I was looking for this brand of glass. It can be had but you need to do some legwork. It took me 2-3 days.

emanon

Ready to race!
I just sent out messages through yelp telling them the year and car I had and that I was looking for this brand of glass. It can be had but you need to do some legwork. It took me 2-3 days.
Thanks, that's exactly what I ended up doing. Had to be special ordered but should be here tomorrow. $330 installed with tax.

As an aside, it's a quick way to sift out the half ass shops vs the ones who take their work seriously. Few tried to offer typical brands, one place could get it but made it sound like I was asking for their first born. 2nd shop was like yeah, no worries, we special order stuff for Porsche club and exotics all the time.

2Q==.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
My 2018 R (August, 2017) has Pilkington and this windshield has little odd spots all over it like flat bubbles embedded in the glass.

They are not dust on the glass or water spots, rather they are what appear to be voids within the glass and they are all over the windshield. They look like a piece of dust embedded in a layer much like you get when you're not careful putting a protective layer on your cell phone or tablet.

Overall, I'm definitely not impressed with the quality of this Pilkington glass.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
Do a search. There's been a thread on this within the last 6 months, either here or the vortex. Some people say they "went away" over time, some people said they got their glass replaced under warranty.

xmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumping this thread since I've noticed how soft this windshield is, I'm just counting the days until I get that one rock to do it in, but am very glad to see this alternative option.

Is there any way you could post a photo of the top middle of the replacement glass? I'm curious how it looks and might fit with my sensor when it comes time.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Is there any way you could post a photo of the top middle of the replacement glass? I'm curious how it looks and might fit with my sensor when it comes time.

If you shop around and ask for Saint-Gobain glass, you can provide your VIN and they should be able to get the right piece if they can get Saint-Gobain in the first place.

xmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
If you shop around and ask for Saint-Gobain glass, you can provide your VIN and they should be able to get the right piece if they can get Saint-Gobain in the first place.
Thanks, wasn't sure if they'd have enough options for our cars to cover all sensor types (given the photos posted in that other Safelite thread of their 3rd party glass not matching the sensor package)

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Thanks, wasn't sure if they'd have enough options for our cars to cover all sensor types (given the photos posted in that other Safelite thread of their 3rd party glass not matching the sensor package)

I see. The difference is that Saint Gobain is an EU OEM for VW so they definitely have glass that fits. Safelite is shite.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Guys in my BMW forum have been able to get good glass via Safelite, but it took some conversation with them.

They will always default to their in house or whatever is most easily/readily available but it's luck of the draw. Sometimes you can talk them into certain things, but it's iffy.

I say they're shite because I've seen far too many stories of people getting the wrong windshields installed, and that just shouldn't happen. Sometimes the glass is shitty too. I have had decent service from them for chip repair except when the guy thought it would be okay to lay his grimy "protective" mat between his tool box and the hood of my dirty car, let alone put anything on the hood in the first place. it left marks that required polishing to remove, of course.

Whats funny is the rest of the glass on the car is already Saint Gobain, at least on both of our MK7s. When my wife's car got broken into and they had to replace the rear window, Safelite had Saint Gobain to replace it with.

adam1991

Banned
I think it's hilarious that in a forum where people discuss endlessly the non-VW parts they "need" to use on their cars to make them "better," when the discussion turns to windshields suddenly VW OEM is only way to go...