GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exactly what setting to shut off engine?

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
adam1991, CB1111, 71camaro, admiralackbar and The Fed -

Thank you for being helpful and welcoming to this forum. Your insight has been greatly appreciated. I'd be lost without your sound reasoning and judgement. Your kind treatment of a brand new member here is absolutely wonderful and I hope it continues. I can't wait to ask another question so you can reply with your charming and witty retorts.

It's amazing how you keep helping me out even though you don't like me. That's very generous of you to continue responding and I thank you for your continued support.

Looking forward to your next replies!

Or not.

Which part of press the stop button to shut off the car completely are you having an issue with?

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
And here are some relevant sections from the manual, don't know what is not clear once again.

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Which part of press the stop button to shut off the car completely are you having an issue with?
Reread the thread - that's not the question. Original issue is the car shuts off the engine when shifting into Park SOMETIMES. I've never had a car shut the engine off when shifting to Park EVER. Why sometimes and other times not (or AT ALL for that matter?) This is a functionality NOT stated in the manual. You tell me what's going on and we can move on. Saying RTFM when the manual does not say anything about this particular feature does not help.

So a rocket scientist--er, excuse me, "aerospace engineer"--can't read the owner's manual?
You are an internet bully and are getting your rocks off by statements such as this. If you don't want to participate in a conversation, please block/ignore me. I read the manual. It does NOT say the engine shuts off when shifting to Park. YOU tell me where it says that because you've obviously read the manual and clearly have it memorized.

Just because we're right and you were a bit confused doesn't mean we don't like you.
So far you have not proven yourselves to be "right" only that you get off by badgering another forum member. Doesn't really matter if you like or don't like someone. Being snarky with people you don't know is not appropriate nor is it welcome. If you can't help without being smug, why bother replying at all? Why don't YOU just move on and let more helpful people respond?

You've been here long enough to know that at least three of the people you cited often have dissenting opinions on a variety of topics.
I've been here long enough to know this particular group of members think they know everything and will stop at nothing to beat down a fellow forum member for no reason other than to make yourselves feel superior. Nothing more than a pack of bullies ganging up on someone. Real helpful.

Up until now, I never even looked if you were a new member and - quite frankly - it makes no difference.
Actually it doesn't matter if I'm a new member or not. Your attitudes towards me have been less than friendly and if I dare disagree with you or, heaven forbid, forget to leave out the step where I pushed the Start/Stop button before exiting the car, you obsess over that omission and continue to badger me because of it.

If you can't help, please move on.

adam1991

Banned
I'm an "internet bully" but CB is only "inappropriately snarky"?

CB, you shouldn't take that.

Anyway, Kevin, back to the questions at hand:

* how did you come to believe that the behavior you first observed was "right" and that other behavior was "wrong"?

* For that matter, which is it: do you "stop the car, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. I get out, lock it and go about my day"? Or, as you said later, was it that you "never suggested the car was ever completely off and I could simply walk away from it without pressing the Start/Stop button"?

If we can't help, it's because of complete inconsistency in your story as it moves on and your complete unwillingness--as an engineer, no less--to acknowledge that two trips could be not identical and therefore could trigger different behaviors in the car.

cb1111

Actually it doesn't matter if I'm a new member or not. Your attitudes towards me have been less than friendly and if I dare disagree with you or, heaven forbid, forget to leave out the step where I pushed the Start/Stop button before exiting the car, you obsess over that omission and continue to badger me because of it.

If you can't help, please move on.

I'm an "internet bully" but CB is only "inappropriately snarky"?

CB, you shouldn't take that.

Anyway, Kevin, back to the questions at hand:

* how did you come to believe that the behavior you first observed was "right" and that other behavior was "wrong"?

* For that matter, which is it: do you "stop the car, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. I get out, lock it and go about my day"? Or, as you said later, was it that you "never suggested the car was ever completely off and I could simply walk away from it without pressing the Start/Stop button"?

If we can't help, it's because of complete inconsistency in your story as it moves on and your complete unwillingness--as an engineer, no less--to acknowledge that two trips could be not identical and therefore could trigger different behaviors in the car.

Got it. So now there is a third version - where you actually did press the ignition button (as opposed to start/stop on/off) but forgot to tell us.

In this scenario, you stop the car, put it into park (start/stop shuts off the engine) and then you press the ignition button to turn off the car.

Aside from the inconsistent behavior of start/stop because of the many variables, it sounds like your car is working as intended.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Back to the topic at hand.

Doesn't the manual that Admiral posted state that the engine will shut off when Start stop is activated, car is stopped, seatbelt is off, no pedals are depressed, drivers door is opened. I think open and shut case. Unless I misread that.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Back to the topic at hand.

Doesn't the manual that Admiral posted state that the engine will shut off when Start stop is activated, car is stopped, seatbelt is off, no pedals are depressed, drivers door is opened. I think open and shut case. Unless I misread that.
That's what the manual says. On those occasions where I stop, shift to Park, the engine does not go off yet, take my foot off the brake, remove my seatbelt and open the door, yes the engine goes off then. This would be like dropping someone off and my getting out of the car to get something out of the hatch for them and the engine shuts off. So the scenario quoted in the manual does work that way in that particular case.

But that's not quite the scenario for me which is the point of my original question. I will pull into a parking spot, stop with my foot on the brake, door closed, seatbelt on and move the shift lever to Park and the engine shuts off sometimes and other times it stays on. So I have not yet taken my foot off the brake, unlatched the seat belt or opened the door per the quoted manual section so the engine should not shut off.

It's not really the fact it shuts off or doesn't shut off but rather that it does it sometimes and other times it does not. I believe it should do it all the time or not do it all the time. And, considering I'm in Race/Sport mode all the time, start/stop should be deactivated and the engine should not shut off until I press the Start/Stop button (or during the quoted manual section above) but it does (sometimes) when simply moving the shift lever to Park.

So, to me, this is inconsistent, poorly documented, and definitely not intuitive.

And you have a manual tranny so I don't think it happens for you.

adam1991

Banned
It's not really the fact it shuts off or doesn't shut off but rather that it does it sometimes and other times it does not. I believe it should do it all the time or not do it all the time.

RTFM. The owner's manual specifically states that it will do it sometimes and other times not.

You are experiencing that very scenario, yet you are denying--despite the now revealed actual documentation--that it should ever happen that way.

again: what makes you say that the behavior you initially observed is the "right" behavior and that today's behavior is the "wrong" behavior? Is it simply that "initially it always did it, but now it doesn't always do it"?

And, considering I'm in Race/Sport mode all the time, start/stop should be deactivated and the engine should not shut off until I press the Start/Stop button (or during the quoted manual section above) but it does (sometimes) when simply moving the shift lever to Park.

Per the documentation that we see, that is correct--it should not shut off at all in race/sport mode. I can see three considerations:

* the manual is wrong
* your car is broken/not functioning to spec
* you're not in race/sport mode despite you thinking you are

As an engineer, you should appreciate that you can control for the third item above and test for it very carefully.

So, to me, this is inconsistent, poorly documented, and definitely not intuitive.

The manual should have already clued you in that the start/stop behavior is programmed to behave in ways you consider "inconsistent"--for example, you don't have direct knowledge of the charge state of the battery therefore you wouldn't know what effect that has on the system's decision to turn the engine off or not.

If the system is behaving as the engineers intended, it surely is poorly documented at best. But at least the documentation does clue you in that at least some behavior you consider "inconsistent" is actually programmatically correct.

And of course, there's the "it's broken" thing.

I can see the lawyers programming in the behavior of "if start/stop has the engine stopped, AND the car is in Park, AND the seatbelt is unbuckled, AND the door is opened--then turn the system off" in order to avoid the inevitable lawsuits from people like those who leave their cars "on" in their attached garages and got CO poisoning or death, all because they didn't understand keyless start and start/stop.

cb1111

That's what the manual says. On those occasions where I stop, shift to Park, the engine does not go off yet, take my foot off the brake, remove my seatbelt and open the door, yes the engine goes off then. This would be like dropping someone off and my getting out of the car to get something out of the hatch for them and the engine shuts off. So the scenario quoted in the manual does work that way in that particular case.

But that's not quite the scenario for me which is the point of my original question. I will pull into a parking spot, stop with my foot on the brake, door closed, seatbelt on and move the shift lever to Park and the engine shuts off sometimes and other times it stays on. So I have not yet taken my foot off the brake, unlatched the seat belt or opened the door per the quoted manual section so the engine should not shut off.

It's not really the fact it shuts off or doesn't shut off but rather that it does it sometimes and other times it does not. I believe it should do it all the time or not do it all the time. And, considering I'm in Race/Sport mode all the time, start/stop should be deactivated and the engine should not shut off until I press the Start/Stop button (or during the quoted manual section above) but it does (sometimes) when simply moving the shift lever to Park.

And you have a manual tranny so I don't think it happens for you.

Why are you so dead set on not accepting that the car is working exactly as intended?

When you thought that the car had shut down, it had merely gone into stop/start mode. Sometime thereafter it probably gave up (when you took your foot off the gas, unbuckled your belt and opened the door) and shut everything off.

I'm out of this thread. I don't suffer fools well.

adam1991

Banned
so you're celebrating the exit of one of the few people who are able/willing to help you?

And you're doing so, why? Because you don't like the message, so you're killing the messenger?

And you're an "aerospace engineer"?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
RTFM. The owner's manual specifically states that it will do it sometimes and other times not.
Auto start/stop, yes, shifting to Park, no.

You are experiencing that very scenario, yet you are denying--despite the now revealed actual documentation--that it should ever happen that way.
Incorrect. Manual does not specifically state this in the "now revealed actual documentation".

again: what makes you say that the behavior you initially observed is the "right" behavior and that today's behavior is the "wrong" behavior? Is it simply that "initially it always did it, but now it doesn't always do it"?
You're obsessed over that one statement and I suggest you let that one go because It's not really critical to the discussion (whether someone thinks it is right or wrong.) It just is.

Per the documentation that we see, that is correct--it should not shut off at all in race/sport mode. I can see three considerations:

* the manual is wrong
* your car is broken/not functioning to spec
* you're not in race/sport mode despite you thinking you are

.....you don't have direct knowledge of the charge state of the battery therefore you wouldn't know what effect that has on the system's decision to turn the engine off or not.
Bingo! Owner does NOT KNOW with certainty what the conditions are to arrive at an outcome and that is the very definition of inconsistent. Your implication that just because I don't know all possibly logic paths is MY fault for "not understanding how it works" when the car is doing something different on any given day and that's not proper.

so you're celebrating the exit of one of the few people who are able/willing to help you?
Yes I am. You've been less than friendly so I definitely would like you to stop "helping". Apparently you can't handle that and have to keep replying. That's your issue, not mine.

And you're an "aerospace engineer"?
Comments like that are exactly why I'm happy you're moving on. What does my profession have to do with your reply? You're stating it as if that's a problem so you're directly attacking me because of my job. What possible use is that other than to try and tear the other person down? So I'm definitely hoping you put me in your ignore list and move on.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Pressing the button works 100% of the time for me.
Yes it does! I'd prefer to press the button to shut off the engine rather than the car decide to do so based on some odd algorithm I can't diving with certainty. Apparently disabling the start/stop system is not 100% foolproof as the car seems to do it anyway sometimes.