GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 golf sub install

dardares

Hi,

I'be an 2015 golf tdi confortline whit the composition media.

I've a sub that sleep in my garage and i want to install it.

I've already the amp (1000w kenwood), wiring, and a rca to speaker conversion box.

I've see some Youtube video, but it doesn't explain how to wire from the sub to the battery, and where to connect the remote for the amp (to don't keep power on to the amp when the ignition is off)

In the video i've see, the conversion box is installed right behing the infotainment system in the glove box. This is necessairy? Because i dont have the tool to remove it, it possible to connect it directly on the rear speaker or it's better to buy the tool?

Anyone do this and can explain an complete how to please?

Thank in advance

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This YouTube video was really good for what you are trying to do. It covers most of your questions plus shows you what the keys to remove the radio look like (You can use a couple of small screwdrivers to do the same thing).

The video shows how and where to run the power from the battery to the amp. At the same time you pull your amp wire, you may want to pull an 18ga wire to power your LOC as well. Amp power goes down the left side of the car to the trunk, where you will have your amp and sub. The 18ga wire will run under the dash and in behind the radio.

You will need a Line Out Converter (LOC) to convert your speaker signal into an RCA signal for your amp. This is what will sit behind the radio in the glove box. The RCA cable from the LOC runs down the right side of the car to the amp. Depending on your choice of LOC, it may have an amp remote turn on that you can run with the RCA line to turn on the amp.

dardares

Hi,

I've finally installed it whit the help of this video.

At the beggining (3 week ago) all seem to be fine. But today, i've noticed the sub doesn't play equal. At some moment it should play (bass on sound) the sub doesn't play. If if adjust the balance to rear left, the sub playing very lound. But if i balance to rear right, no any sound from the sub (but rear speaker playing).

I've done a serie of test. If i unplug the left rca cable, the bass is so intense. If i let only the left rca cable, bass is off. Then i've removed the infotainment unit, check behing it to make sure all rca cable is correct, it is. I've inversed it, and the test conclusion is the rca cable is ok. I've tried to adjust the level on the rca converter box, little gain, but not as it should be. Then i've played whit the amp adjustement, levelling up the bass boost, input frequency, the bass is hearable, but not intense as it should whit this setting.

All seem to connected corectly, and i don't whant to dismount the quick connect by the fear to broke a wire. According i've only one subwoofer, let only rca cable (remember, the gain is intense), is a good idea? As it (i think) can't play in stereo anyway?

Thank

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It sounds like you have some wiring issues but nothing that should be too hard to fix. As a start, what is the model of line-out-converter you are using? With that I will be able to draw a rough sketch of what your connections should look like.

Generally for a simple install like you are doing your line-out-converter will be connected to 2 speaker outputs, typically both rear. Connected this way you would set the level on your line-out-converter and amplifier with front-rear fade in the middle. Then if a song came on where the bass was too heavy you could fade to the front speakers to reduce the subwoofer level.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

dardares

Exactly the same as the video linked above. Scosche LOC2SL.

I've checked the wire this afternoon, seem to be connected correctly, but i'm scare if i remove the quick connect the wire will cut...

I've linked a picture of the radio wiring diagram i've used to fit the wire.

Thank

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Those Quick connects scare me a little bit. Have you verified the left and right speaker adjustments on your LOC are set the same?

Based on your series of testing the amp wiring RCA cables are okay. Because you get no output when balanced to rear right it means the problem is the connection between rear right speaker and the LOC. My money would be that the quick connect is the issue. I would suspect negative side but you would need to check both to be safe.

I don't know what the Quick Connect looks like on the inside but based on the outside I would be concerned with how the wire will remain if you remove it, as you said.

dardares

Here a picture of the quick connect.

The adjustement was the same (don't touch anything after plugging the converter, let the factory settings)

But today i've played whit it to try to fix the issues and now it's not the same.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yikes, I would not trust those. Granted I'm looking at it with the eyes of an aircraft electrician. I think the easiest overall way to troubleshoot is going to be to isolate as much as possible.

Set your stereo balanced left right front and back. Disconnect the RCA's from LOC and make sure all of your car speakers are playing. That lets you know the quick connects haven't completely cut any wires.

Turn the left and right adjustments on your LOC all the way down.

Connect your RCA cables. Play music of choice at a medium volume.

Slowly adjust the left speaker input on your LOC up until you start getting output from your sub. Take note of approximately how many turns (or how much of a turn) that takes on the adjustment screw.

Turn the left speaker input all the way down.

Repeat the process for the right side adjustment.

Post up what you find... if the sub plays at all you have verified your RCA is good and your amp/sub wiring is good. The LOC produces a single channel sub output from 2-channel speaker input. These steps will let us know which of the speaker inputs is bad, which can be quick connect problems or a bad LOC.

dardares

The issue is whit the right side. No any sound from the sub on this side, regardless of the rca connector i take (left or right). Speaker playing fine, good thing.

I'm pretty sure the wire for the speaker was not cut down, but the cable for the adapter, rear right wire was cut, or not connected correctly.

What i've thinked is to just take another quick connector, and plug it at other wire part of the same wire whitout cut the other one, but it will be very thight, there not very much space to play here.

dardares

Some news

I spend 2 hours on this. My first intention is to make a new connector like i'm saying yesterday.

I've first take pliers to firmly press the wire togheter behing the quick connector. After this my sub seem playing in stereo. I've an excessive gain when i balance to left or right, and in the middle it seem to play not to high, not too low.

After that i've played whit the amp adjustement, if i level up the gain, the bass up, like it should, so this is okay. I gess too whit the lpf, because in some song, the sub played everytime, regardless that have bass or not in the sound, so it's too much. Now it seem to play correctly.

The long process was to put the infotainment back in... Too much wire behing it, can't get it to lock. After some moment of frustration, i've decided to pass the remote for the bass from the LOC to the rear of the glovebox, like i've should do when i've first install it, because pass the wire under the infotainment wasn't good idea first. Now it clip and lock like a charm.

The only issues was stay, is when i'm playing from sd card, bass is not good, and sometime, off completely. But whit spotify in bluetooth, very good. I guess it's my sound file not in good quality.

Thank everyone