GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Linear Eibachs for GTI

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
demi9od

A month on, are you still satisfied with the springs? Any new pics now that they may have settled?
I'll let you know Monday. Finally think I've got the dampers dialed in.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

DrDavid

Ready to race!
why do you prefer linear springs ? what´s happen with progressive ?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'm really happy with the ride now, but it took a fair amount of tinkering with the Koni Yellow adjustments to get me there. Initially the ride felt fine over surface streets, if a little bouncy. On the highway though, large dips and bumps were very bouncy and I didn't feel like I was in good control of the car. Increasing the damping on the front struts to a stiffer setting calmed down a lot of the bounce, but there was still too much chassis movement over small bumps at highway speed. Increasing the damping on the rear shocks tamed the rest of the bounce.

I don't think I'd run these with the stock shocks, as I imagine the stock shocks are much closer to the Koni's on soft than where I have them set now, and you would likely get a bouncy ride as well. The combination of linear springs with higher rate and relatively long travel (compared to VWR for instance) makes for large and quick rebound, which needs to be controlled.

The linear nature is confidence inspiring around corners, very predictable with little body roll. I can't say how progressive springs would differ, but just based on my observations I'd say they'd be a little better with stock shocks, as the spring rate would be lower at your normal ride height. This should lead to less of that bouncy feel with stock shocks.

Ride height hasn't settled at all, looks the same as when it was installed. I could stand for a little less rake, but I don't think it's a bad look, and the increased travel in the rear does make for a more compliant ride over bumps.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Thanks for the update. Looks like the Eibachs may not be for me at this point since I'm not at the point where I want to upgrade shocks. If I do I think I'd go with the Bilstein kit that comes with these springs and their B8 dampers.

I really like the drop these springs give though, it's perfect for the car without the wheel tuck look that I don't care for.

Last edited:

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Demi-did you trim the bumpstops? Sometimes a linear spring will preload lower overall and with a standard length, or slightly shorter damper, have contact with the bumpstop all the time depending on BS length. Due to the elastomer having a constant rate of "spring" and it being rather spongy (read little rebound damping) could contribute to the bouncy feeling. Compensating by increasing damper rebound can make the ride less compliant and harsh.

You seem to be correct in surmizing that a linear spring is better suited to a better damper like a Koni or Bilstein as long as the bumpstop is not contributing too much through constant contact. I have the US Eibachs in my OE dampers and trimmed the bumpstops. It seem to have a perfect result for me as the ride is well controlled albeit a bit stiffer. I feel that the progressive spring keeps the larger bumps from overly compressing the damper through the smaller free travel and up to the point that the bumpstop takes over bottoming prevention duties. It has a "ride down" effect that is smooth without bounce and suits the light rebound of the OE dampers well. I have DCC and can tailor the overall ride a bit, but even in normal mode it feels just like OE, again being a bit stiffer. I think, as you and some others do, that progressives are a good match for OE
dampers. If you go to an aftermarket sport damper, then a linear may be more appropriate with consideration for what I said above.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think I'd run these with the stock shocks, as I imagine the stock shocks are much closer to the Koni's on soft than where I have them set now, and you would likely get a bouncy ride as well. The combination of linear springs with higher rate and relatively long travel (compared to VWR for instance) makes for large and quick rebound, which needs to be controlled.

The linear nature is confidence inspiring around corners, very predictable with little body roll. I can't say how progressive springs would differ, but just based on my observations I'd say they'd be a little better with stock shocks, as the spring rate would be lower at your normal ride height. This should lead to less of that bouncy feel with stock shocks.

Thanks again for all the amazingly detailed info.

Hmm... I was all set to get the Eibach Euro Pro-Kit thanks to all your info, then I saw what you wrote about stock dampers. Now I'm leaning more with Tooly and not getting the Eibachs.

How do you feel the Koni Yellows on soft are, compared to stock GTI dampers? Are the Koni Yellows softer or stiffer (on the soft setting vs stock damper)?

I have DCC and normal/middle setting is about the same as regular GTI dampers. I wonder if DCC set to sport/stiff would be stiff enough for these Eibachs...

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I trimmed the rear stops at the same time I adjusted down to .75. With the 3/4" drop in the rear though I can't imagine it was sitting on the stops, though it may have bounced off them on big dips and bumps. I'm probably not interested in trimming the front stops as that puts my oil pan at risk.

It's hard to know how the Koni's feel alone compared to stock, but my guess would be 25% stiffer compression and similar rebound on full soft. DCC on stiff would probably match them well enough, but I found the adjustments so useful in dialing in the ride that hoping DCC stiff works well is a risk.

Personally if I wanted similar drop with stock dampers I'd run H&R OE Sports, not much else I know of better suited for under 1" of drop and stock dampers. There are many progressive choices at lower ride heights that could work too.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Here is another dirty shot of the drop taken before all the rain hit this afternoon.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Did the alignment adjust within spec with these springs? The drop is just right for sure. I would run them with stock shocks but they are DCC.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Did the alignment adjust within spec with these springs? The drop is just right for sure. I would run them with stock shocks but they are DCC.

A little ashamed to say, but I haven't gotten an alignment yet.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Ever get an alignment demi9od?

Anyone else get these springs? I'm still looking at these or DG springs for OE DCC struts/shocks.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I have them in the box waiting to install. Going with Bilstein B8 shocks and I've got the rears on the way but still need the fronts because of the seemingly never ending Bilstein North American backorder....