GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pendulum mount install - Ramps or stands?

EmptyHeaded

Passed Driver's Ed
I received my RocEuro Drivetrain Stabilizer bar and am wondering if I can do the install with the car on ramps or if it has to be done on jack stands?

Looks about as easy as it gets, but any advice about the install in general is appreciated.

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
I received my RocEuro Drivetrain Stabilizer bar and am wondering if I can do the install with the car on ramps or if it has to be done on jack stands?

Looks about as easy as it gets, but any advice about the install in general is appreciated.

I installed mine using ramps. No issues.

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
If the car is on a front to back tilt I would be a little worried about the engine tilting slightly once it is unbolted. But I've never done the swap so I wouldn't know. Just my 2 cents.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
I did mine on ramps. Worked well.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

ftfy. Good looking out though. Now I know what not to do, as well as what to check for to future-proof the install. :beers:

Hahaha I was gonna post about moving the car without the bolt in which caused the issue with the linked thread.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Slightly different issue. He was just installing a dogbone insert, not replacing the whole arm. Put the bolt loosely through the subframe and stabilizer arm first, then attach to the engine.

Still relevant due to removal of the main bolt still being required. When replacing the arm itself, the order of install or removal doesn't matter at all. The main point like when installing all things is to keep all the bolts loose until they are all threaded, then torque down evenly (the two smaller bolts that go into the trans require far less torque then the main bolt obviously).

The main point of that thread was don't start the car and move it without the dogbone mount secured, no matter what you are doing to it. To be fair at least 5 were on my own car.

Edit: not an expert, have only installed ~45 dogbone mounts (arms / bushings / inserts or both arms and bushing) on lots of different cars. Volvos are the main culprit.

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
I just read that thread about moving the car with the bolt out and I got paranoid and just went outside and re-installed my dogbone mount insert I put in yesterday. I was worried because I had crazy loud vibrations under 2-3k load in all gears.(it gets louder and worse when the a/c is on). Sounds like I'm driving a TDI. lol. I had the same dogbone insert (spulen) on my a3 and I never remembered that happening. Hopefully, it will go away as I keep driving. I've only driven 60 miles on it.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I just read that thread about moving the car with the bolt out and I got paranoid and just went outside and re-installed my dogbone mount insert I put in yesterday. I was worried because I had crazy loud vibrations under 2-3k load in all gears.(it gets louder and worse when the a/c is on). Sounds like I'm driving a TDI. lol. I had the same dogbone insert (spulen) on my a3 and I never remembered that happening. Hopefully, it will go away as I keep driving. I've only driven 60 miles on it.

Some inserts do require a break-in period. After that the vibrations will reduce. My I.E might be that way, but the vibrations in reverse are just so bad I don't like to use it.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Some inserts do require a break-in period. After that the vibrations will reduce. My I.E might be that way, but the vibrations in reverse are just so bad I don't like to use it.
My IE was broken in for a thousand miles or so I think before I got it. A good reason to buy used [emoji3]. Didn't do anything at all to my NVH, but, it was the last mount I did so everything was already tight.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk