GOLFMKV

BFI - Motor Mounts for your MK7 Golf/GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Did you guys reuse your stock hardware for the transmission mount? Did you torque it to the spec on the install instructions from BFI? I feel that after I installed that mount my drivetrain is now sloppy and loose. When I only did the passenger side mount the car felt great. I don't have any vibrations or anything. I have stage 1 mounts, and don't have the dogbone insert installed. It shouldn't make a different for that since the two big mounts are holding the engine in and it wasn't like this stock.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Did you guys reuse your stock hardware for the transmission mount? Did you torque it to the spec on the install instructions from BFI? I feel that after I installed that mount my drivetrain is now sloppy and loose. When I only did the passenger side mount the car felt great. I don't have any vibrations or anything. I have stage 1 mounts, and don't have the dogbone insert installed. It shouldn't make a different for that since the two big mounts are holding the engine in and it wasn't like this stock.
I will say this, this morning I had the clutch pushed in over a bump, and I want to say I heard something from on top of the trans. I reused the OE bolts, only because the bolts it came with were buried in packing peanuts and I missed them. I did the initial torque, and like I said, I did not go the full 90 degrees after. Realistically those bolts should be replaced after one use. Most never, techs included. Just for peace of mind, I will check the mount ASAP, and update what I find. I tried looking down/up into that area with a trouble mirror to see if I could see signs of the mount shifting, but I couldn't see squat. I ran just the mounts for a few days, I wasn't happy until I put the insert it.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
hmm. I didn't get any bolts for them with mine. I got bolts for the engine / passenger side mount, but not the driver's side.

I may just go to VW and get the bolts. I do have to go back to BFI to get the right insert as I have a v2 on my car and a v1 insert. Maybe they will give me the bolts then.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
hmm. I didn't get any bolts for them with mine. I got bolts for the engine / passenger side mount, but not the driver's side.

I may just go to VW and get the bolts. I do have to go back to BFI to get the right insert as I have a v2 on my car and a v1 insert. Maybe they will give me the bolts then.
I was looking through old Elsa newsletters for another member trying to find topics related to clutch failures, and I did find a Tech Tip about "replacing torque to yield bolts for every repair." They didn't specifically call out the motor mounts, but they gave examples. One of which was the subframe, which uses the same exact type of fastener.

VW would be a good bet. I may also grab the trans mount ones from my parts guy and replace them when I go in to double check them.

I can't say for certain, but the bolts that BFI sent me(I went through ECS Tuning that may be where they actually came from) and they do not look like torque oto yield bolts to me. Reason I say that is because they are coated in an anti-corrosion inhibitor top to bottom. Threads included. I was always told torque to yield bolts get dry threads, as any lubricant/thread locker will affect the bolts stretch.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I just ordered all(but 2) of the the mount bolts, motor mount, trans mount, and pendulum mount. I will let you guys know the total when I get the invoice. Perhaps it is something that many would consider if provided a list of part#s/prices. I will do that too.

The 2 I didn't get were for the motor mount bracket, which typically doesn't get removed.

Last edited:

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
When installing the engine mount, should it be parallel to the engine supporting mount? I have this really annoying extra little "knock knock knock" noise that wasn't present before I installed the mounts. It's not as prevalent as it was once I reinstalled everything but I tore everything apart again and reinstalled a third time and it is still there.

I noticed that my engine mount seems a little lopsided however after install and will not align parallel to the edge of the engine bracket no matter how hard I try. The front hole section on that particular part of the mount when tightened causes the edges to overlap. All the pics above look parallel but it is hard to tell from some of the angles.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
When do you get a knock noise? What kind of driving condition ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Got a picture of the mount installed?

Here's a few quick shots I could grab before heading to work. The third one shows the slight misalignment that has me a little worried. If you look close enough you can see how the back end of extension part of the mount has a bigger gap from the parallel edge and the front part is almost overlapping the edge. The knocking noise is pretty much gone and has subsided and I may be paranoid but my fear is if something were to torque the wrong way due to the alignment, I could end up damaging something. This is the fourth mod I've installed myself (first ones being intake, gfb dv+ and a catch can). I've modified cars plenty before but always had the work done professionally as I was living at my parents during that age and didn't have the tools or space. Now with my own house and garage, I've started collecting up some tools and want to learn. Figured mounts would be a simple enough place to start and easily doable with the tools I have available.

Is this really anything to sweat? The car drives fine, the noise is gone and everything seems copacetic.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
When do you get a knock noise? What kind of driving condition ?

Was happening during initial takeoff and throughout the first 3 gears. Now there just a slight knocking around 40-45 mph and during normal everyday drives and hard pulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.