GOLFMKV

BFI - Motor Mounts for your MK7 Golf/GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I ended up purchasing the stage 2 mounts for both engine/trans. I hope I like them! :)
Please keep us informed about your thoughts on them. From all I've read so far the first 250 or so miles is a bit rough. Get through that and things smooth out quite a bit.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Please keep us informed about your thoughts on them. From all I've read so far the first 250 or so miles is a bit rough. Get through that and things smooth out quite a bit.

Ill give them some time and if i dont like them I can always sell them. I'm sure they will be OK I just don't like my sloppy engine movement and shifts. I have the 034 insert it helped, but at the IS38 power levels the stock mounts are pretty much shot out.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
Ill give them some time and if i dont like them I can always sell them. I'm sure they will be OK I just don't like my sloppy engine movement and shifts. I have the 034 insert it helped, but at the IS38 power levels the stock mounts are pretty much shot out.

They do calm down quite a bit after the first 500-1000 mile break in period.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
They do calm down quite a bit after the first 500-1000 mile break in period.

Hopefully its only 500-1000 miles! I think i can last through that break in period... hate the drivetrain movement! :)

bruxwillix

Ready to race!
just went back a page and read what BFI said bout the break in. but from a users vieepoint @1500 miles. elaborate on "bliss"

RmayT

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
just went back a page and read what BFI said bout the break in. but from a users vieepoint @1500 miles. elaborate on "bliss"

RmayT
The vibration from the mounts is nothing to worry about, the insert however, take your time installing that. I had mine out once to try the 034 last week, the second time I reinstalled the BFI insert must have gone better, because the vibration was half as bad as the first install. I used thick silicon paste grease second time around, only thing I did different. 90% of the NVH is caused by the inserts.

If you're getting just the BFI mounts though, the vibration(IMO) is perfect feedback from the drivetain. You can also hear the timing assembly on cold start-up, and the backlash in your trans gears, two things I like :) It reminds me I have a performance car, not just a golf that comes with old women mounts and an evil device called a "turbo silencer". It sucks we have to unwrap our cars so to speak. At least that's how I feel.

Bliss, meaning it accomplished exactly what I wanted to accomplish, and then some. The drivetain doesn't flop around during aggresive driving anymore, and the TSC light comes on a tad less frequently I feel. TBH if my Clubsport S muffler wasn't already ordered at the time, I probably wouldn't have even bothered, the engine noise transfer through the mounts is almost like getting an exhaust.

Torque specs for the larger bolts(18mm socket head) is 60NM+90 degrees, the smaller bolts are 40MN+90 degrees, and the small horizontally mounted bolt on the upper engine mount is 20NM+90 degrees. You might not get the 90 degrees if you are reuising the OE bolts, as these are torque to yield and probably won't stretch that much again. I gave them a +45 degree instead. I rechecked the upper engine mount a week later and nothing had loosened up. I would like to double check the trans mount but as you'll see that is slightly less convenient to check. I used and engine hoist and the hooks by the fuel rails. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.