GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I recoded my tail lights, but I missed something

Elwood

3-7-77
I recoded my tail lights so that the lights on the hatch would work with the turn signals and the brake lights. If my lights are on (parking lights/head lights), everything works correctly. If I have my foot on the brakes with the parking/headlights off, everything works correctly. However, if my lights are off and I'm not stepping on the brakes, only the outside lights work as turn signals.

What did I miss?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
What did you set “lasttyp” to for the inner channels? Needs to be the same as the lasttyp setting for the outer channels.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Hmmm. Well a lasttyp setting certainly does exist for each light channel. Not sure what you mean.

You might share the fix here, for other people who comes across this thread.

Elwood

3-7-77
“lasttyp” was not listed in any of the adaptation channels I used or in any of the options in each one. I have no idea what that is.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
“lasttyp” was not listed in any of the adaptation channels I used or in any of the options in each one. I have no idea what that is.

Every lighting channel has a "lasttyp" setting. It defines the load of the bulb. The idea being, if the BCM detects a load smaller than what is defined, it will throw a code indicative of a bulb failure.

It sounds like you got things sorted out. For reference, here's my own 5-brake + inner turns mod, others have figured out the same thing. I just copied the channel settings for the outer lights, and applied them to the inner lights.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FgWoyWe3237_XEvWkX69vxpUPybKoVd7E2WZXd07i70/edit#gid=0

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Exactly. Just take the outer channel settings and copy to the inner channels.

Elwood

3-7-77
I didn't see or use "lasttyp" in anything. Here are the channels I changed:

Left Inner Tail light functions as runner/brake/ signal
8 leuchte23sl HLC10-Lichtfunktion C23: not active to bremslicht

9 leuchte23 sl hlc10 - Lichtfunction D 23:not active to blinken links hellphase

10 leuchte23sl hcl10 - dimmwert CD 23:0 to 100

Allows Signal to "Over power" brake light and runner
12 leuchte23sl hlc10-lichtfunktion e 23: not active to blinken links dunkelphase

14 leuchte23sl hcl10-dimmwert ef 23: 0 to 0

15 leuchte23sl hlc10-dimming direction EF 23: maximize to minimize

Left Signal completely goes out between blinks
16 - leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtefunktion G 20: not active to blinken links dunkelphase

19 - leuchte20BR LA71-dimming Direction GH 20: maximize to minimize

and then the same changes for the right side.

naddie

I didn't see or use "lasttyp" in anything. Here are the channels I changed:

Left Inner Tail light functions as runner/brake/ signal
8 leuchte23sl HLC10-Lichtfunktion C23: not active to bremslicht

9 leuchte23 sl hlc10 - Lichtfunction D 23:not active to blinken links hellphase

10 leuchte23sl hcl10 - dimmwert CD 23:0 to 100

Allows Signal to "Over power" brake light and runner
12 leuchte23sl hlc10-lichtfunktion e 23: not active to blinken links dunkelphase

14 leuchte23sl hcl10-dimmwert ef 23: 0 to 0

15 leuchte23sl hlc10-dimming direction EF 23: maximize to minimize

Left Signal completely goes out between blinks
16 - leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtefunktion G 20: not active to blinken links dunkelphase

19 - leuchte20BR LA71-dimming Direction GH 20: maximize to minimize

and then the same changes for the right side.

Is this what I need to do to make both inner and outer work the same?

I Google searched and searched, but found instructions that aren't functioning the way I'd like my tail lights to function.

So I have a US MK7 R. I'd like the inner light (on the hatch) to light up in sync with the outer light.

Here's the scenario breakdown I'd like:
Headlights off....
When I brake, I want all 4 lights to come on.
When I make a turn signal, I want the inner and outer to blink together.
When I brake and use my turn signal, I want the turn signal to use both inner and outer lights, but the non-blinking side should have both inner and outer solid on (just like in older US cars).

When the headlights are on, I want all 4 tail lights to be dim (runners). Other than that, they should brighten and dim in the same way as if the headlights were off. (Ex: both inner and outer brighten and dims with turn and brake signals).

Is this even possible? I would have thought this would be a popular set up, but apparently not. People seem to like the inner to be a straight brake light and the outer to blink, and also popular is the alternating blinking (urban joke, is it?). One even had both inner and outer blink, but when you hit the brakes, the inner goes solid while the outer continues to blink. That one was frustrating because it was close to what I want.

Again, I want the inner to continue to blink with the outer even when braking because the other non-blinking lights and the 3rd brake light will serve as the brake lights, and having both inner and outer blinking together makes drivers pay more attn that you're signaling to turn.

Last edited:

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

I Google searched and searched, but found instructions that aren't functioning the way I'd like my tail lights to function.

So I have a US MK7 R. I'd like the inner light (on the hatch) to light up in sync with the outer light.

Headlights off....
When I brake and use my turn signal, I want the turn signal to use both inner and outer lights, but the non-blinking side should have both inner and outer solid on (just like in older US cars).

When the headlights are on, I want all 4 tail lights to be dim (runners). Other than that, they should brighten and dim in the same way as if the headlights were off. (Ex: both inner and outer brighten and dims with turn and brake signals).

Is this even possible? I would have thought this would be a popular set up, but apparently not. People seem to like the inner to be a straight brake light and the outer to blink, and also popular is the alternating blinking (urban joke, is it?). One even had both inner and outer blink, but when you hit the brakes, the inner goes solid while the outer continues to blink. That one was frustrating because it was close to what I want.

Again, I want the inner to continue to blink with the outer even when braking because the other non-blinking lights and the 3rd brake light will serve as the brake lights, and having both inner and outer blinking together makes drivers pay more attn that you're signaling to turn.

It sounds like all you need to do is what nype said above -- copy the code of the outer tail lights and use them in the inner tail lights. We both had that setup you want before I switched to euro tails.

See this thread, for instance: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=526356. nype and ZERO815 provided responses to point out how to correct the problem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

Headlights off....

It sounds like all you need to do is what nype said above -- copy the code of the outer tail lights and use them in the inner tail lights. We both had that setup you want before I switched to euro tails.

See this thread, for instance: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=526356. nype and ZERO815 provided responses to point out how to correct the problem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Just reference the link in my post #6 above. That has everything you need to code US MK7 non-LED tails to do what you want. The items in blue are items that need to be changed, the rest of the light channel coding is just there for reference.