GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pop-in Sun Shade Thoughts?

DCCSGMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought magnetic shades from AliExpress that work really well and were much cheaper than oe. The hatch window shade is a little wavy due to the window contour but you don’t notice it from the inside. The seller seems to have shut down on AliExpress, but I’m sure that you can find another one if you weed through the terrible search engine on AliExpress. Here is a site with a similar product to give you an idea of what they look like:

https://sg.carousell.com/p/laser-sh...agen-golf-r-mk7-4-1-rear-windscreen-31387773/

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
I don’t know if I would like the magnetic ones, I’ve had my rear windows all the way down at 80 with no issues. Don’t think the magnetic one would hold on that well...

DCCSGMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
I don’t know if I would like the magnetic ones, I’ve had my rear windows all the way down at 80 with no issues. Don’t think the magnetic one would hold on that well...

I don’t know if the magnets are rare earth magnets but they’re pretty strong. It’s fine around town and cracking the window down in the freeway. At 80 on the freeway and windows completely down, the bottom will pull away from the window frame since there’s no metallic surface for a magnet to stick to. Not really an issue for me as I drive with windows up on the freeway.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Installed mine today. Grabbed them off of ebay with the last discount coupon they offered, so they were thankfully under $200 (I think they are worth about $50 personally but young daughter was complaining about how hot the leather gets, so I had to take action)

Thanks for posting this thread.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
Installed mine today. Grabbed them off of ebay with the last discount coupon they offered, so they were thankfully under $200 (I think they are worth about $50 personally but young daughter was complaining about how hot the leather gets, so I had to take action)

I got my windows tinted because my son was in a rear facing car seat, I drove west every morning on the interstate and the sun was blinding him. It still wasn’t enough, but adding these really helped. No issue now he’s front facing! Lol

Point

What percentage of VLT tints do you have? Are you able to please post exterior pictures of the shades behind tinted windows? im curious as to how much less noticeable they are when behind tinted windows.

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
Looks good. I do have my windows tinted, but a little extra protection wouldn't be such a bad idea. NC summers are either tolerable, or ridiculously brutal; this years falls under option 2. :/

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Old thread I know but I just got these and love the way they look in addition to my 35% tint. The only problem is it seems impossible to put the back shade in evenly. I've tried 3 times and there is always a gap in one of the corners. It is so hard to maneuver with how rigid the frame is. Any suggestions?

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Just keep at it. I don't run them in the winter and it usually take me a couple times in the spring to get it sitting just perfect.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Old thread I know but I just got these and love the way they look in addition to my 35% tint. The only problem is it seems impossible to put the back shade in evenly. I've tried 3 times and there is always a gap in one of the corners. It is so hard to maneuver with how rigid the frame is. Any suggestions?

Can you link to the ones you got?