GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 GTI S Chirping Noise

dcx4610

Another question before I book my service appointment.

The parts in question from another post (06K103269F and 06K103583) don't show they fit my 2017 GTI. Are these the right parts?

I did find parts for my 2017 but want to make sure they are correct.

Upper Timing Cover - 06K103269D

The 2nd part shows a Magnet Gasket but I also found a Timing Chain Cover Gasket. Are both of these parts needed? There are also two different listings for the seals.

Engine Timing Cover Gasket - 06K103483
Timing Cover Seal - 06L103085B
Timing Cover Seal - 06K103583 (What is the difference?)

Anyone know which are needed? I want a part list ready to go for the dealer.

Last edited:

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
I will jump in on this.

My 2015 GTI S is at the dealership in VA for chirping while turning left. I have 40,000 miles on mine, and first reported it to the dealer in MI a little before 30,000 miles. The MI dealer claimed they couldn't hear the noise, but every time I received my car back from them the radio was on the Sirius heavy metal channel and cranked.

I dropped it off today and received a call back this afternoon that they have a VOA tech coming in tomorrow to look at it. When I was on test drive with the dealer tech he wanted to blame the ED lowering springs. I had to explain, and convince him, that the issue existed and was reported prior to their install.

It has gotten progressively worse over the last 10,000 miles. Hopefully VOA will rectify the issue.

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
VW called back today, and the rep from VWoA is having them replace the crank pulley. I should have the car back Friday. I can't wait to drive around the local traffic circles in silence.

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
Parts replaced by VW to fix this issue for anyone out of warranty
06K-109-210-AJ Timingcase
D-174-003-M2 Sealant (probably just ultra grey)
WHT-001-760 Screw (something they probably dropped and lost)
06H-105-243-K Damper

There is no mention of a seal, so I think we can assume the issue is clearance between the timing cover and harmonic dampener.

monolith

VW called back today, and the rep from VWoA is having them replace the crank pulley. I should have the car back Friday. I can't wait to drive around the local traffic circles in silence.

Any updates if the sound went away? I think my noise went away, but when I accelerate I can kind of hear a chirping. I parked my car and put the break on and hit the gas and I could hear a slight chirping when the RPM's go up.

Does anyone know if this is a normal sound?

Here is a video of the the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsvLVBlV38

dcx4610

I escalated mine to VWoA and they have a service appointment booked. I can definitely tell the noise is coming from the timing cover area. I still have a feeling it's going to be a pain to convince them to replace the parts.

Hopefully with VWoA being on their case, they'll just do it. I'll post back results in a couple of weeks.

monolith

I escalated mine to VWoA and they have a service appointment booked. I can definitely tell the noise is coming from the timing cover area. I still have a feeling it's going to be a pain to convince them to replace the parts.

Hopefully with VWoA being on their case, they'll just do it. I'll post back results in a couple of weeks.

They should replace the parts with no charge, if your car is still under warranty, and it sounds like it is.

The dealer switched out my timing cover two times and the sound came back both times. The last time I took it in they switched out most of the same parts, but also replaced the crankshaft timing gear. I haven't heard the sound yet and I picked up the car on April 3rd.

I honestly thing VW needs to figure this out and send a recall out because I think a lot of us who have 17' GTI's are having the same exact issue and its frustrating knowing that you have this brand new car and this damn noise keeps coming back!

dcx4610

Update on mine.

They test drove with me, heard the sound and are willing to replace the parts to try to fix it. They have to make a claim with VW though since there isn't a TSB and speak to their Master Tech first for ideas.

I'll drop it off in a couple of weeks and report back after. They'll need to order the parts.

mensaman

Ready to race!
I had this same exact sound. Took it to the dealership 3 times before they could reproduce it. They changed the harmonic balancer 2 weeks ago, and so far so good. Hopefully this is a permanent fix. That was one annoying chirping.

dcx4610

Update

Picked up my 17 GTI today from the dealer and....problem solved!

I was nervously optimistic but I put it through all of its paces and not a chirp/squeak to be heard anymore.

For mine, they replaced the crankshaft pulley, damper, screw and sealer. The charge was something like $750 parts and labor but was covered under warranty.

Juggar

Ready to race!
I have this same exact sound on my 2017 SE.

I got the mods in my signature, hopefully they do not interfere with any sort of warranty coverage/work. Though my dealer is mod friendly, or so ive heard.

Sound to me like a lot of 2017 guys have this issue and its more likely an issue from the factory.

The dealer is over an hour away of course..... It would be fine to hold off for a bit right? Its just so fucking time consuming to go to Asheville. Of course I would have to get my friend to drive separately and take me home. SMH.

allan1229

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 gti
Does anyone have a solid answer on what is causing this? I just heard this same sound from my 16 GTI. I have a fluidampr installed and I'm out of warranty. Car drives fine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Does anyone have a solid answer on what is causing this? I just heard this same sound from my 16 GTI. I have a fluidampr installed and I'm out of warranty. Car drives fine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
It's definitely the Fluidampr (or OEM pulley for some people) contacting the plastic seal that it sits in. "Why" is the harder question, its probably soemwhat because the gasket/pulley isn't getting enough oil coating them to lubricate the contact points. But that still leads me back to "why?" and I don't have a good answer.

I replaced the seal and it went away for a while, but it came back after a couple months. I put the stock pulley back on... and it stopped.

It also could be exacerbated by the lower timing cover being installed just sliiiiightly off center from the factory. Some people have reported that replacing the whole cover fixed the problem.

It seems more likely to happen with a Fluidampr, maybe the metal they use is slightly more oleophobic than the OEM one.

I gave up, as I was pulling my hair out and I'd prefer it stayed on my head.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Yoliber

Ready to race!
Hey all,

My car is at the dealership for the chirping (bearing?) problem. They haven't been able to reproduce the sound so they're trying to keep it overnight to check it cold.

Since my chirping isn't consistent... Do you guys know how I can advise the tech to reproduce the sound?