GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gasoline grade in 2018 GTI

Drtsk

Passed Driver's Ed
And at the end of the day, it's just a tarted up econobox that you commute to work with, not some track only beast where every hundredth of a second counts. Personally, 91 isn't going to make a bit of difference in the rush hour traffic I drive in every day.

I ran 87 up to 93 in my Mustang and was never able to tell a difference. Likewise with this GTI and 91, no perceivable difference either. You can continue spending your money on top tier gas for a negligible difference, but to me, it's a waste of money, and that has nothing to do with my income.

Amen.
I couldn’t have said it better.
I got grilled on the BMW forum for calling 230i an airport rental.
I would put 87 in my 911 if it was allowed.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
87 is fine for any modern car. You won't get the stated hp though. Though I'm guessing if your using 87 you don't care about that. Tuned, you need higher octane.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

LDB

I really appreciate all the replies and interesting and spirited discussion. I'm kicking the tires on the idea of a GTI. I'm retired and like the idea of a car that has an active owner's group and some events to go to and/or participate in.

My usual driving style is to "compete" with the car for mpg championship. Thus my inquiry as to the feasibility of mid-grade fuel rather than premium. It's not a fortune but 20c a gallon adds up. I do like having performance available when desired though so I thought mid-grade might be a good compromise and wondered what results others have had using it. I look forward to more discussion.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I really appreciate all the replies and interesting and spirited discussion. I'm kicking the tires on the idea of a GTI. I'm retired and like the idea of a car that has an active owner's group and some events to go to and/or participate in.

My usual driving style is to "compete" with the car for mpg championship. Thus my inquiry as to the feasibility of mid-grade fuel rather than premium. It's not a fortune but 20c a gallon adds up. I do like having performance available when desired though so I thought mid-grade might be a good compromise and wondered what results others have had using it. I look forward to more discussion.

Consider the 1.8 TSI if you really want to fight for killer mileage. You could upgrade it to a Golf R IS38 turbo and still get excellent mileage while having a sleeper that would rip after 3k RPM.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
although it is early in it's life (I hope) my GTI is the best all around car I've owned. The fun driving reminds me of my 1990 Integra (my fav car I've owned) but with practicality. I understand the joy to drive every day but hoon once in a while.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Not this thread again....

Jdreg

Ready to race!
I have a 2004 corvette. It recommends premium but will run fine on 87 at less hp.
How much less is irrelevant, as I can never use all the hp anyway. I run premium but there’s no good reason for it. Partly because it’s not a daily driver I don’t use much fuel. Don’t know if I get less mpg, but based on some testing I’ve read, probably not.
I have a gti coming as a daily driver, and will likely run 87 most of the time. Getting 10 less hp doesn’t matter to me from a purely practical perspective. If I was still worried about hp
I wouldn’t have bought a gti anyway.

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

FWIW from someone who is close to Medicare age I think you’ll love the GTI once you drive one. I too use 89 with an occasional tank of 91 or 93. The increased mpg over 89 though is very small and not good ROI.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
My father had a 2003 Passat 1.8T. He refused to ever put 91 in it, always went for midgrade even though the car said it REQUIRED 91. Everything went wrong with that car and turned my parents off from VW for good. I don't even remember if it was engine related or what, but it solidified my superstitious-ness to put the best possible fuel in my VWs.

greens

Ready to race!

I'm in Houston and this is what my 2018 S is capable of with Costco 93. Let's say $0.25 x 12 x 52 = $156 yearly

I too compete with the car for MPG when I'm making the daily commute. That's one of the main reasons I chose the manual over the DSG. Ironically I also find that I get the best mileage leaving the car in 5th for the drive even at speeds of 80-85. When I made a commute over to Georgia in April and was doing sustained 90-100 on I-10 I opted for 6th gear. In the city I don't go past 5th.

It's obviously a personal choice but I'm not skimping on performance and efficiency for less than what I make in a day.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
I'm in Houston and this is what my 2018 S is capable of with Costco 93. Let's say $0.25 x 12 x 52 = $156 yearly

It's obviously a personal choice but I'm not skimping on performance and efficiency for less than what I make in a day.

Impressive, but I'm going to guess it's more like 35 after doing math.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

costco gas is only 25 cents a gallon?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Do you really need this spelled out for you?

Sorry, didn't read the post you quoted prior. Thanks for the hostility.

cb1111

costco gas is only 25 cents a gallon?

Funny, isn't it? All the guys that swear by premium gas have a smaller gas tank when they calculate the difference, don't fill up often and find gas stations where the price difference is minuscule.

For everyone else, the price difference is closer to 60 cents (72 cents at my local station today) and most fill up more than once a week.

But let's assume that we only fill up once a week but adjust for the correct tank size and the actual price difference.

That gives us 13x.6 = 7.80 x 52 = $405.60, not the $156.

Yes, you won't run your tank dry so let's take that 12 gallons

12 x 6 = $7.2 x 52 = $374.40