GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best highway gas mileage GTI? R?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
idk other countries (saw KM) but you will get better MPG with summer blend bas, add in the better mpg when warmer that can throw compares off

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Last 40 tanks.
Avg calculated 26.96
Avg MFD 28.91

This is with a 1.8 stage 1 and 75% conservative driving. 50/50 stop and go vs hwy (hwy is usually around 70)

It's the 245's that really kills the mileage.

Don't know how you gti guys are averaging mid 30's

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Exactly! I see all these 38+ mpg.. Well yeah it's slower limits! Lol I rent cars to get my daughter all the time, best ever is the Altima 4 cyl cvt. I get near 40 mpg with a/c at 80 mph. Range is over 740 miles to a tank. It's pretty badass.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I got 43mpg on a 65mph two lane hwy. Below 70mph the GTI gets crazy good mileage.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I averaged about ~31mpg in my 2017 GTI on its first road trip. Round trip to/from Vegas was about 600 miles. The AC was on most of the time and I had cruise control set to 75mph. I've got about 6700 miles on the odo.

Best I've ever seen was ~34mpg...and that was after about a 1 hour drive on a relatively flat highway at about 65-70mph.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I did a road trip from North Carolina to Florida 2 months into owning the car back in 2015.
This was before the roof rack and the data was:
876 miles
average speed of 65mph
13 hours and 32 min
36.9 MPG

The picture is on Instagram and I'm too lazy to link hah.

Currently I drive 50 miles daily and it is mostly highway but it's a lot of stop and go.
It is a 25 mile trip each way that takes about 40-50 min depending on traffic (sometimes better sometimes worse).
I usually get between 27 and 32 mpg with the roof rack and faring.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

E-rok

Passed Driver's Ed
Havent hand calculated yet but my commute is typically ruralish highway driving 50-60mph with very few stops and the lie o meter tells me 34-36mpg depending on if I warm it up in the morning (which I havent lately)
I have noticed the mpg slowly getting better as it breaks in. 6k miles now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tonyg109

Gas mileage is so dependent on several factors. Temperature, wind, driving style/speed, etc. The last several days were near ideal "mpg" days on my 51 mile one way commute to work. The first 6 miles are back roads w/40 mph speed limit. Perfect to warm the engine up. The balance of the trip is highway 55/65 mph speed limit. Now, I drive like Granny in the morning and get great gas mileage, almost always in the 40's regardless of the season. Below are "screenshots" of the drive in early in the morning with no traffic and no stoplights to speak of. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the computer but it's probably slightly on the optimistic side.

The trip home is a different story. I usually average about 35 mpg at an average speed of well over 60 mph and lately with the A/C on.

This is all with a '17 GTI Sport with 6 speed manual and a Unitronic stage 1+ tune. To me the perfect balance of power and mpg's!

Attachments

• Miles1.jpg
    Miles1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 318
  • Miles2.jpg
    Miles2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Miles3.jpg
    Miles3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 311

MadMen

Ready to race!
I get about 1-2 mpg less with my S3(R) than I got with my GTI over the same commutes, measured by mileage and many fill ups calculated - not from the bogus infotainment reading. The GTI was very overstated, where the S3 is within a mile per gallon accurate.

UA TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Gas mileage is so dependent on several factors. Temperature, wind, driving style/speed, etc. The last several days were near ideal "mpg" days on my 51 mile one way commute to work. The first 6 miles are back roads w/40 mph speed limit. Perfect to warm the engine up. The balance of the trip is highway 55/65 mph speed limit. Now, I drive like Granny in the morning and get great gas mileage, almost always in the 40's regardless of the season. Below are "screenshots" of the drive in early in the morning with no traffic and no stoplights to speak of. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the computer but it's probably slightly on the optimistic side.

The trip home is a different story. I usually average about 35 mpg at an average speed of well over 60 mph and lately with the A/C on.

This is all with a '17 GTI Sport with 6 speed manual and a Unitronic stage 1+ tune. To me the perfect balance of power and mpg's!

Wow those screenshots are impressive.

I apologize for the off topic question, but did you have to replace your clutch when you went with the unitronic tune? If not, how is the stock clutch holding up?

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Do we know the net elevation change for those screenshots?

Ive seen similar numbers holding 60mph in perfect weather with no net elevation change. If your return trip is lower, might mean you're climbing back up hill.

Btw, i have a 17 Sport MT6 also, and probably at 48mpg indicated by computer, real is 44-45mpg, about 6-7% discrepancy. My mk6 Golf was always dead on. No doubt VW trying to win points in the MPG wars - Im sure most people don't question the dashboard numbers.