GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD important or not ?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Really ? I thought that being that it only has 5600 miles and certified that it was a pretty good deal considering 200 miles away the same car with 5000 miles more was selling for about the same price ? Only difference was that the other car was a leased vehicle not a fleet but was certified as well.
There's a thread here where people post the deals they get on their car. When there were a bunch of 2017s leftover, people were getting S and Sport trim GTIs brand new for like 22-23k. I think some even got 2017 SE GTIs for 25k brand new.

As said by others, I'd keep looking, even out of state. Start emailing dealers to negotiate with them, and you can put them in a price war of sorts (ask a dealer to beat another one's deal, and repeat).

Edit: just saw that you also posted in the thread I'm talking about

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Really ? I thought that being that it only has 5600 miles and certified that it was a pretty good deal considering 200 miles away the same car with 5000 miles more was selling for about the same price ? Only difference was that the other car was a leased vehicle not a fleet but was certified as well.

When I got my dealers loaner GTI, with 2k on it, the rear brakes had already had to be replaced due to people doing e-brake turns and such. I got the DSG loaner, but the manual GTI loaner (both were MK7's) at 1k miles had already had to have the clutch replaced...

Edit: if you are set on a MK7 over a MK7.5, try your hardest and even spend a bit more if you have too, to get a Sport trim. Unless you want DCC, or DAP, the Sport trim is far and a way the best GTI trim to have been sold in a long long time. Due to the fact it was only sold for one year and how popular the trim was, it's nearly impossible to find a new one on a lot still, but if you are going the CPO route, some should be showing up soon.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Fleet means several people might have used the vehicle. Most times, lease return vehicles might be better than fleet vehicles. Also CPO warranty might not be the same as brand new bumper to bumper warranty. You have to go through the entire terms and conditions to determine that.

If you did some research, you might be able to find a brand new one for similar price or little more.

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
Understandable but its a risk either way just because it was leased vehicle doesn’t mean it was any less abused. Also according to the VW rep being that the car only has 5600 miles it still qualifies for the 36k bumper to bumper manufacture warranty the CPO warranty kicks in once the original expires for 2 years or 24k miles whichever comes first. As far as research goes I have seen a few here and there but nothing to crazy about especially in South Florida. The best deal I got on a new 2018 GTI S was $24500 +++ I don’t have the ability to go outside of Florida as I have a trade in which requires the car to be seen to get an accurate appraisal.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Understandable but its a risk either way just because it was leased vehicle doesn’t mean it was any less abused.

That the reason i said most times. You will never know the real history of the vehicle until you talk to the previous owner and the fleet vehicle being driven by several people, the probability is always higher.

As far as research goes I have seen a few here and there but nothing to crazy about especially in South Florida. The best deal I got on a new 2018 GTI S was $24500 +++ I don’t have the ability to go outside of Florida as I have a trade in which requires the car to be seen to get an accurate appraisal.

I traveled 10 hours to pick mine up on a weekend and difference in price (between my local dealer and out of state dealer) was worth the time & effort. Many dealers in the country have tie up with KBB for their cash value and CarMax is another option.

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
@Wrath and Tears thanks I will keep an eye out. Hearing how even a car with few miles had to have breaks and clutch replaced because of mistreatment is making me very leary on getting a preown now lol even CPO.

@vj123 having a trade that isn’t paid off complicates things especially if you have to drive to another state to find the right deal. Went to Carmax already they use Edmonds not kbb anymore. The shitty thing is my local VW does not price match or honor out of state pricing.

Did you have a trade when you went shopping for your car out of state ? If so was it paid off or did you owe on it ?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
@vj123 having a trade that isn’t paid off complicates things especially if you have to drive to another state to find the right deal. Went to Carmax already they use Edmonds not kbb anymore. The shitty thing is my local VW does not price match or honor out of state pricing.

Did you have a trade when you went shopping for your car out of state ? If so was it paid off or did you owe on it ?

I had lien on my Audi and i traded it to CarMax. That worked out pretty good as the offer was valid for a week and the vehicle can be traded to any CarMax location.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Just my $0.02. I have a 17 GTI Sport 6MT. Drive fairly aggressive on the street. In SoCal, sometimes you need to use the car's limits to drive defensively, I.e. "active safety." I think anyone that knows how to take advantage of a car's limits, will definitely appreciate the VAQ, even on public streets.

Recent example for me, have to turn right, fast traffic from the left, but need to get into far lane within about 70 yards to make a u turn. I needed to use full throttle in first while make a fairly short radius turn. Man, no wheel spin, the car just went! Totally appreciated that performance, and will again.

On a side note, tire pressures are a big factor here. I was running about 3-4psi low for a while, and I felt the VAQ was less than impressive, with the front pushing a lot on throttle. Brought the pressures to spec, and wow so sure footed now. :)

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Sorry for digging this up from the grave but I'm slowly researching the car that I just got and it sounds like Autobahn has LSD? That's nuts. MK6 it was always an expensive mod that really meant you were going to be serious on putting down the power. Thus I did a quick search and it pulled up this thread. LSD alone is like over 1000 bucks... that's crazy. I wonder why they would have put it in are SE and Autobahn if they make the same power as the other models? Just because of the price increase? I didn't see it anywhere when I searched Autobahn specific features/specifications.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sorry for digging this up from the grave but I'm slowly researching the car that I just got and it sounds like Autobahn has LSD? That's nuts. MK6 it was always an expensive mod that really meant you were going to be serious on putting down the power. Thus I did a quick search and it pulled up this thread. LSD alone is like over 1000 bucks... that's crazy. I wonder why they would have put it in are SE and Autobahn if they make the same power as the other models? Just because of the price increase? I didn't see it anywhere when I searched Autobahn specific features/specifications.

Yes because of the price.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Its not a "LSD"....its a electro-hydraulic operated clutch pack/Haldex unit which is located outside the transfer case & on the passenger side (USA) driveshaft.....you still have a basic "open" diff in the transfer case...I did an in depth tech guide on it here:-

(1) How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) “Front Differential Lock” (VAQ) works. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum