GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trouble removing shift arm to install short shifter?

copperbricks

Ready to race!
I recently bought an OEM S3 shift arm to install along with some 42DD solid shift bushings. However I couldn't get the stock shift arm off- after 10 minutes of pulling it moved up a couple of mil, but refused to move any further. I gave up out of fear of damaging something in the transmission by pulling too hard.

Anyone have any tips of getting it off?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I recently bought an OEM S3 shift arm to install along with some 42DD solid shift bushings. However I couldn't get the stock shift arm off- after 10 minutes of pulling it moved up a couple of mil, but refused to move any further. I gave up out of fear of damaging something in the transmission by pulling too hard.

Anyone have any tips of getting it off?

I had issues as well. This method from this video helped me the best. About 2 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/vZnadfI3_jg

Ferrari

Ready to race!
I use a spacer (such as a short socket) next to the transmission shaft, between the transmission housing and bottom of the shifter arm you're trying to remove. Gently hammer down (MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN NEUTRAL so the shaft can move downwards - I use another socket that fits over the threaded transmission shaft) until the 2 separate.