GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

maxton design side skirt install questions

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
looking to see whose installed the maxton design side skirts on a mk7 gti...it says to use glue and the screws but wondering what other people have used to install them and how its held up

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
looking to see whose installed the maxton design side skirts on a mk7 gti...it says to use glue and the screws but wondering what other people have used to install them and how its held up

Hey bluekid99,

When I installed mine I thought the provided self tapping screws should be enough. 10 pcs. each side. So far so good.

I pre-drilled my Maxton side skirts at a distance of approximately every 8 inch.
Then I found out that some screws held up very well some others seemed to be loose, like over torqued already.

So long story short. I took the Maxton side skirt back off and decided to use clear silicone. I had a fresh tube of Gorilla clear sealant at home which I used maybe half of it! The Gorilla silicone is holding up very well :)

Happy GTI Tuning !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
Hey bluekid99,

When I installed mine I thought the provided self tapping screws should be enough. 10 pcs. each side. So far so good.

I pre-drilled my Maxton side skirts at a distance of approximately every 8 inch.
Then I found out that some screws held up very well some others seemed to be loose, like over torqued already.

So long story short. I took the Maxton side skirt back off and decided to use clear silicone. I had a fresh tube of Gorilla clear sealant at home which I used maybe half of it! The Gorilla silicone is holding up very well :)

Happy GTI Tuning !

Awesome! I appreciate the input...ill see how that works out and go from there...maybe add a screw or two more into each side skirt

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Awesome! I appreciate the input...ill see how that works out and go from there...maybe add a screw or two more into each side skirt

Yes that won’t hurt ! ;)

There are many different ways to mount.

cpatel529

Ready to race!
I have my 2015 MK7 at the body shop getting my Maxton V2 front splitter and side skirts installed.

The body shop called me because they didnt think the side skirts looked correct when put next to the car and didn't want to drill anything until I stopped by and checked it out for final approval.

Does anyone have any quick instructions or videos that they can provide for the side skirts?

1. Do you remove the OEM side skirts before installing the Maxton side skirts?

2. Are the left and right side skirts reversible?

3. Do the left and right side skirts have to be on a specific orientation?

Have to stop by tomorrow so any help would be great!

Thank you!